Menu

Rod & Staff Grammar Placement

tmstranger

Hello,

I'm looking to switch both of my kids to R&S Grammar for next school year.  I understand it is a rigorous program, so I'm not sure of where to place them.  According to their placement info, grades 2-5 should go in at grade level, but grades 6 or above may need to step back depending on previous experience. I'd appreciate some input from those who have used their English sets.

My 2nd grader is currently doing FLL2 and he has those definitions memorized like the back of his hand.  When picking words out of a selected sentence, he is usually very good, but stumbles on some.  We are doing the end of the book review now and he is doing very well. I think I could put him in the 3rd grade R&S book next year.  Thoughts?

My 5th grader is currently doing Hake's 5.  He is doing ok.  It's been an adjustment this year since he didn't have prior grammar instruction in public school.  He has done better and better as the year has progressed, so I think he's retaining it.  I was thinking of putting him in R&S 5th grade English.  Any thoughts on this? 

Thank you.

My DS2 went from FLL2 into R&S English 3 and did fine.  Can't help you with 5th grade placement--my son who did 5th had also done 2nd-4th--but if he can diagram compound subjects and predicates, knows how to find what adv and adj are modifying, punctuation--he will probably be okay in R&S 5th.  There is an "oral review" section in the Teacher's Guide for each lesson, and that would help you find any "holes" that you need to work on. 

I am not familiar with Hakes so can't tell you 100%.  We do like R&S though--used it for 3 1/2 years, then switched to Christian Light the past two years, and we are switching back to R&S English, Grades 6 & 7 next year.  Great program!!

B

• Like 1

I think you should be fine starting with R & S 5. It is intensive, but it's all explained. There are plenty of exercises, built-in review and the extra workbook. My dc don't actually do all of the exercises. We work through the lesson orally, do some of the lessons in the textbook orally (or diagram on a whiteboard) and then they go off to complete exercises in the book or complete the workbook page. 

My older dc started with R & S after a few years of Shurley English. They had never diagrammed and I recall that my oldest went into R & S 7 (in 8th grade). At that point, there are some complex sentence diagrams, but it was all explained very well and we didn't have any hiccups. 

Lisa

Hello,

I'm looking to switch both of my kids to R&S Grammar for next school year.  I understand it is a rigorous program, so I'm not sure of where to place them.  According to their placement info, grades 2-5 should go in at grade level, but grades 6 or above may need to step back depending on previous experience. I'd appreciate some input from those who have used their English sets.

My 2nd grader is currently doing FLL2 and he has those definitions memorized like the back of his hand.  When picking words out of a selected sentence, he is usually very good, but stumbles on some.  We are doing the end of the book review now and he is doing very well. I think I could put him in the 3rd grade R&S book next year.  Thoughts?

My 5th grader is currently doing Hake's 5.  He is doing ok.  It's been an adjustment this year since he didn't have prior grammar instruction in public school.  He has done better and better as the year has progressed, so I think he's retaining it.  I was thinking of putting him in R&S 5th grade English.  Any thoughts on this? 

Thank you.

Your younger dc should be fine in Beginning Wisely (3rd grade). And yes, I think your older dc should do fine with Following the Plan (5th).

• Like 1

You can always call them, and ask them to read the Table of Contents to you (you might find it online, too, of course). That's what I did when trying to decide where to place my son the first year we homeschooled (9th grade--we ended up in R&S 6).

You can also request a free scope and sequence and free curriculum samples (first through fifth or sixth) when you call.