Menu

Explaining what an app is

I bought my mother a samsung tablet. She wants to be on facebook but cannot figure out why the app and the webpage are different. As I was trying to explain it to her she kept talking about how there were several facebooks and she did not know which to use. I had put a shortcut on her home screen and she added a second. Then she was on the internet to check it and then she was really confused when she went to all the applications when she opened up the apps. As I was trying to explain it to her she asked what an app was. I tried to explain it but it was rather obvious she has no clue. I am out of ways to explain this. Does anyone have a video or a link that I can pull up and have her watch/read? It must be very basic and not assume the person has any knowledge. 

To give you an idea, she did have a small netbook but it stopped working when she left it outside over winter. She was very confused because she put it in a ziplock bag. 

I took care of a mid 80's lady who was gifted with an iPad for Mother's Day. I told her that each app was a program, and you had to install that program on your tablet. So for example, she wanted to play Candy Crush because her kids all had it. So I showed her how to go into the store and get the program. Not sure why, but it made more sense to her that way.

Guest submarines

I took care of a mid 80's lady who was gifted with an iPad for Mother's Day. I told her that each app was a program, and you had to install that program on your tablet. So for example, she wanted to play Candy Crush because her kids all had it. So I showed her how to go into the store and get the program. Not sure why, but it made more sense to her that way.

Yep! app=program.

If someone isn’t into technology, I don’t know if I would belabor the differences between a browser and an APP.  (I would argue that a browser is an APP.)

Could you simply explain that these are two different programs that display information differently?   I would look for an analogy that speaks to her.   For example, the format of banking information you see online versus a paper statement is different, even though both mediums (online browser versus paper) reflect the same bank account.  Or, you could contrast the interactive cable guide channel with a newspaper rendition of what is on TV.  I’m not sure what would be most meaningful to her.

• Like 1