Menu

Book a week 2015: wk 12 - Happy Spring!

Robin M

I very much enjoyed the 3rd book of His Dark Materials.  We also absolutely loved the audio of The Scarecrow and his Servant - it's a favorite family listen on road trips.  I liked The Ruby in the Smoke a lot, but not its sequel The Shadow in the North.  That's the extent of my prior experience with Pullman.  The Good Man Jesus is a very quick read, so not a huge time investment!  I've found the Canongate Myth series worthwhile, so far.  They are short books but interesting modern takes on myths by good contemporary writers. I wish my library had more of them, there are several others I'd like to read but probably not enough to buy them.

Pullman's His Dark Materials books sit in the Young Adult section of the library--but I am not sure that all young adults are ready for them, particularly that last volume of the trilogy.  The world that Pullman creates in these books is a fascinating one, but Pullman challenges organized religion to the point that some (many?) feel discomfort.  In fact, these books have been challenged and banned from schools and libraries by those who feel that he promotes atheism.

In our house, that last book led to some long and deep discussions.

• Like 7

I very much enjoyed the 3rd book of His Dark Materials.  

Really?  That is fascinating because I really disliked the 3rd book (though as I'm writing this I do recall liking it more when I reread it). I approached the series as pure fantasy, and disliked how bogged down the final battle was, felt Pullman over did things in trying to make the work Important and Significant.  

Hmmm.  Not sure if it makes me shallow that I don't want to be forced to think deep and profound thoughts when I read fiction.  Sometimes the author is too full of him or herself that the interjection of anything meaningful is simply annoying.  Then again my head is already overcrowded with my own ponderings and the minutia of everyday life -- I don't need more stuff elbowing its way in when I didn't invite it!  

• Like 8

Pullman's His Dark Materials books sit in the Young Adult section of the library--but I am not sure that all young adults are ready for them, particularly that last volume of the trilogy.  The world that Pullman creates in these books is a fascinating one, but Pullman challenges organized religion to the point that some (many?) feel discomfort.  In fact, these books have been challenged and banned from schools and libraries by those who feel that he promotes atheism.

In our house, that last book led to some long and deep discussions.

Really?  That is fascinating because I really disliked the 3rd book (though as I'm writing this I do recall liking it more when I reread it). I approached the series as pure fantasy, and disliked how bogged down the final battle was, felt Pullman over did things in trying to make the work Important and Significant.  

Hmmm.  Not sure if it makes me shallow that I don't want to be forced to think deep and profound thoughts when I read fiction.  Sometimes the author is too full of him or herself that the interjection of anything meaningful is simply annoying.  Then again my head is already overcrowded with my own ponderings and the minutia of everyday life -- I don't need more stuff elbowing its way in when I didn't invite it!  

I agree, these aren't kids books.  And the third isn't fantasy in the same way the first and second were.  An allegory or something? I don't even know how to classify it completely. It's been several years since I've read it, I'm probably due for a re-read.  

I'm an atheist, so the idea of a book challenging religious dogma doesn't bother me per se, and so I judge it from a different perspective than a Christian would, obviously.  But as someone who was raised Christian and struggled for my whole life with a lack of faith/belief, I found the book to well represent that struggle, rather than promote atheism outright.  But I get that it is a book that wouldn't appeal to many.

• Like 5

I read an enjoyable historical romance yesterday ~ Vixen in Velvet (Dressmakers Series) by Loretta Chase.  It's the third in a series, but I think it would stand alone well.

"Lethally charming Simon Blair, Marquess of Lisburne, has reluctantly returned to London for one reason only: a family obligation. Still, he might make time for the seduction of a certain redheaded dressmaker—but Leonie Noirot hasn't time for him. She's obsessed with transforming his cousin, the dowdy Lady Gladys, into a swan.

Leonie's skills can coax curves—and profits—from thin air, but his criminally handsome lordship is too busy trying to seduce her to appreciate her genius. He badly needs to learn a lesson, and the wager she provokes ought to teach him, once and for all.

A great plan, in theory—but Lisburne's become a serious distraction and Leonie's usual logic is in danger of slipping away as easily as a silk chemise. Could the Season's greatest transformation be her own?"

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 7

Insomnia strikes again, so I finished Pompeii by Robert Harris. I actually really enjoyed it.  I picked this book up because I see it on a lot of people's Ancient lists for their high schoolers.  It won't be on dd's list, I can't see her enjoying it - the first half has a lot of casual brutality, and the phrase 'his prick hardened' was repeated way too many times for her comfort level.  It's probably an accurate portrayal of Roman lives and attitudes, but I don't think she'd appreciate it. I think my dh would enjoy it, though. He works in water conservation, and we're in a drought. The whole first half of the book made me want to drink large, cool glasses of water.  

• Like 8

Thank you everyone for the kind words. I talked to the doctors office earlier in the week and they were working on finding me an appointment. I had a missed call from the main switchboard at the doctors yesterday so I am assuming I will have a time in the mail on Monday, so hopefully we will work something out. And next week I only work four days and then I have Friday and the following week off for Easter break (yay!)

The links are to my reviews of the books on my blog. I've got a reveal with an excerpt from Sarina Bowen's latest book The Shameless Hour coming on April 1st (no joke) and a review of the book later that month. The Shameless Hour is the latest book in the Ivy Years series that Kareni got me reading, and which I still have a bit of a book hangover from so I am super excited about that. Kareni, I think you will also like the last two books on my read this year list.

So I am going to make another attempt at my read so far this year list:

1. The Child Catchers by Kathryn Joyce

2. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. Rowling

3. The Understatement of the Year by Sarina Bowen

4. The Year We Fell Down by Sarina Bowen

5. The Year We Hid Away by Sarina Bowen

6. Blond Date by Sarina Bowen

7. A Modest Proposal by Jonathan Swift

8. Somewhere in France by Jennifer Robson

9. After the War is Over by Jennifer Robson

10. With Every Letter by Sarah Sundin

11. Falling from the Sky by Sarina Bowen

12. Obsession in Death by J.D. Robb

13. Murphy's Law by Rhys Bowen

14. Än finns det hopp by Karin Wahlberg

15. Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen

16. Shooting for the Stars by Sarina Bowen

17. The Deal by Elle Kennedy

18. Coming in from the Cold by Sarina Bowen

19. The Hook Up by Kristen Callihan

• Like 9

Maus, I'm having a love affair with everything Sarah Mackenzie lately. What did you think about Teaching From Rest?

It spoke to me. She writes well and passionately.

She mentions near the beginning that the message came first from a blog series, and it still reads that way. More a collection of essays on the topic than, say, a how-to book that might break it down into a sequence of steps to follow.

I had not previously read her blog, but I will probably follow now.

• Like 7

I'm not sure if Rose already linked the Canongate Myths website but I finally went looking for it. Some of the individual books are really interesting. I have reserved a few.http://www.themyths.co.uk/?page_id=2

But wait!  My library did not have several of the books in the series when I searched individually, but I figured out that I could search for the series--and I found that they have six of the volumes!  Huzzah!  Additions have been made to my list.

• Like 6

But wait!  My library did not have several of the books in the series when I searched individually, but I figured out that I could search for the series--and I found that they have six of the volumes!  Huzzah!  Additions have been made to my list.

Similar here. I found a few with individual searches, but it was much easier to find them by searching for the series.

I'm not reading anything right now & have no idea what seems appealing at this point. Harumph!

• Like 7

But wait! My library did not have several of the books in the series when I searched individually, but I figured out that I could search for the series--and I found that they have six of the volumes! Huzzah! Additions have been made to my list.

For my main library I needed title not author. They didn't show with the author at all???

I just went into the advanced search in three libraries and tried to figure out how to search by series. Two had no series option and nothing appeared with canongate myths as a subject but I know they have several of the books. The third had a series choice and I found one of the books. Does your library have the series advanced search or did you do something fancy. ;) This is just me wanting to know because I do frequent searches.

• Like 5

I just typed 'canongate myths' in the main search bar (not even the advanced search page).

ETA: This didn't bring up all the books they had from the series, though. The Pullman one was not categorized under it, even though they have a copy of it. I guess it's really rather hit or miss.

• Like 3

WOW, I just skimmed read through this thread!  Maybe that's why I never posted before - there's so much here!!

Mr. Emerson's Wife, Amy Belding - good

in progress:

Small Victories, Anne Lamott - loving this!

The God I Never Knew, Marcus Borg

in the que:

The Air We Breathe, Christa Parrish

The Court-martial of Paul Revere, Michael Greenburg

Shakespeare Saved My Life, Laura Bates

The Boston GIrl, Anita Diamant

Thanks everyone for your warm welcome in BW11.  Happy, HAPPY SPRING!!

• Like 9

For my main library I needed title not author. They didn't show with the author at all???

I just went into the advanced search in three libraries and tried to figure out how to search by series. Two had no series option and nothing appeared with canongate myths as a subject but I know they have several of the books. The third had a series choice and I found one of the books. Does your library have the series advanced search or did you do something fancy. ;) This is just me wanting to know because I do frequent searches.

After looking again at the list, I decided to search for the Atwood book. It seemed like that one should be in the collection. It was and had the library tag "myths". When clicking on the tag I found a list that went beyond Canongate, but it was a fairly quick search at that point.
  • Like 5

I just typed 'canongate myths' in the main search bar (not even the advanced search page).

ETA: This didn't bring up all the books they had from the series, though. The Pullman one was not categorized under it, even though they have a copy of it. I guess it's really rather hit or miss.

That's what happens to me, too.  When I search for the Canongate Myth series, it only shows 4 books, not including Pullman and one or two others that the library does have.  I ended up searching for them one by one using title and author, from the list off goodreads.  There are quite a few missing from my library, sadly.

• Like 4

Kareni, I think you will also like the last two books on my read this year list.

18. Coming in from the Cold by Sarina Bowen

19. The Hook Up by Kristen Callihan

I did indeed enjoy Coming in from the Cold, so your assumption is correct.  And I am looking forward to reading The Hook Up when the library's copy arrives. 

I read an enjoyable young adult book today ~ First Comes Love by Katie Kacvinsky.  The main characters were attending summer community college classes when the book begins; one is a young man grieving his twin's death while the other is a free spirited young woman.  It was a quick read.

"Like his name, Gray is dark and stormy. Dylan, a girl always searching for what's next, seemingly unable to settle down, is the exact opposite: full of light and life. On the outside, they seem like an unlikely couple. But looks can be deceiving and besides, opposites attract.

What starts as friendship, turns into admiration, respect and caring, until finally these two lone souls find they are truly in love with each other.

But staying in love is not as easy as falling in love. If Dylan and Gray want their love to last, they're going to have to work at it. And learn that sometimes love means having to say you're sorry."

I see now that the author has two follow up books involving these characters.  I hope to read them; however, I feel that this book can stand alone.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 8

From the pile of Man Booker authors I picked up, I'm starting to read the tiniest book ( :lol:  -- when all else fails, reach for the thinnest book): Varamo by César Aira.

9780811217415.jpg

Like so many of César Aira’s mesmerizing novels, Varamo springs from a deceptively simple mishap that enables the argentine author to take on some of life’s most intriguing questions through his trademark allegorical wit and humor. Here the titular narrator is a hapless Panamanian government worker who, after being paid with counterfeit money, wanders around the city all night as he frets about what to do next. But that long, odd night also becomes a font of inspiration, and Varamo soon writes what will become the most celebrated masterwork of modern Central American poetry, “The Song of the Virgin Boy.†And even more impressive is the fact that Varamo, at fifty years old, “hadn’t previously written one sole verse, nor had it ever occurred to him to write one.†As he does so well, Aira uses Varamo’s story of overnight success and fame to investigate what it means to be a poet, to be inspired, to be touched by genius. And from yet another viewpoint, he explores what it is that drives readers and critics to construct historical, national, psychological, and aesthetic contexts for works of art.

I read a different César Aira book last year, The Miracle Cures of Dr. Aira

9780811219990.jpg

Dr. Aira is not a conventional doctor. He has a very special gift for miracles, at least in theory. This has not deterred his archenemy, Dr. Actyn, who is trying to prove that Dr. Aira is a charlatan. When the ever wary Dr. Aira is finally called upon to put his theories into practice and use his healing powers to actually cure a hopelessly sick man, César Aira — the authoritative writer — shows us the truth about miracles in this delightfully awesome book.

• Like 10

Pullman challenges organized religion to the point that some (many?) feel discomfort.  In fact, these books have been challenged and banned from schools and libraries by those who feel that he promotes atheism.

I'm an atheist, so the idea of a book challenging religious dogma doesn't bother me per se, and so I judge it from a different perspective than a Christian would, obviously. 

One of the reasons I initially wanted to read the series is because it's been banned and challenged. I might have even done it for Banned Books Week, I don't remember. I'm also an atheist, so I'm not bothered by the challenge to religion. I just didn't like many characters (even ones I think I was supposed to like), some of the choices they made, and was turned off by a few scenes as I pictured them. Then again, there are very few fantasy books that grab me, so the genre itself could have played a role in my dislike of the book.

But wait!  My library did not have several of the books in the series when I searched individually, but I figured out that I could search for the series--and I found that they have six of the volumes!  

I don't know what kind of search engine my library uses, but sometimes I have to play around with words to find what I'm looking for. Often I search by the author's name, but sometimes a search for the series will work. Often when I search for a title I get the oddest list of books that don't seem (to me at least) at all related to the book I was searching for. It can be frustrating. Anyway, glad you found the series by trying a different way to search.

• Like 7

Those who like to read short stories might enjoy this column 18 Perfect Short Stories That Pack More Of A Punch Than Most Novels by Charlie Jane Anders.  It is from the io9 site, a blog with a "focus on the subjects of science fiction, fantasy, futurism, science, technology and related areas."  There are many more suggestions to be found in the comments.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 7

I finished the 10th St. Cyr historical mystery by C.S. Harris earlier today and loved it. :) Who Buries the Dead was one of the best in the series. The pacing was good and the content rich in history.

I learned several interesting bits about Henry VIII that seem new to me regarding his burial. I would have guessed he was at Westminster but he is at ST. George's at Windsor buried with Jane Seymour. His children never built his desired tomb.....too busy.

Amy, you will love this one!

• Like 7

Janet Evanovich's Top Secret Twenty-One was a fun piece of brain candy! Totally worth the 3 hours. I'm cracking open Gail Carriger's' Soulless now on mumto2's recommendation. Most of the books that I had the husband grab for me were from all of your suggestions so I'm excited to spend time with my nose stuck firmly in a book for a bit.

• Like 7

And ongoing reads, mostly with the girls:

From Then Till Now: A Short History of the World

I can't find that book. Who is the author? 

I read Midnight in Austenland by Shannon Hale last week.  I loved it.  It was way better than the first (Austenland).  I was a bit disappointed by that one because I liked the movie.  The book just wasn't as good.  So I was very happy Midnight was as good as it was (and you definitely don't have to read the first to read the second - they are marginally related through location and four characters).

I haven't seen the movie because I read the book and did not like it. Maybe I should watch the movie and read the next book.

I haven't been doing much reading, as we got hit with a curve ball this week.  My dh was laid off from his job on Monday.  So... that has been the focus!

Yikes! I'm sorry. 

Not much reading getting done here. It's strawberry picking time, and I've been making all things berry. Today I made:

2 pies

2 loaves of strawberry bread

24 muffins

strawberry Claflouti 

Nutella cake with berries on top

Tomorrow I will make strawberry pancakes, strawberry cream cheese spread, a strawberry jelly roll cake, and lots of jam, and maybe strawberry cupcakes. Yesterday dh made strawberry daiquiris. :D

I also froze about 6 gallons of berries.

I'm tired.  

So the only things I've read in the past few days are recipes.  

• Like 9

Janet Evanovich's Top Secret Twenty-One was a fun piece of brain candy! Totally worth the 3 hours. I'm cracking open Gail Carriger's' Soulless now on mumto2's recommendation. Most of the books that I had the husband grab for me were from all of your suggestions so I'm excited to spend time with my nose stuck firmly in a book for a bit.

You deserve every minute of mind candy reading!  

I started West of the West today, a collection of reportage style essays about different facets of modern California. The author, Mark Arax, is a former LA Times reporter and a native of the Central Valley. I love the title, which is from a quote by Teddy Roosevelt who said "When I'm in California, I'm not in the West. I'm west of the West."  

6323324.jpg

• Like 8

Not much reading getting done here. It's strawberry picking time, and I've been making all things berry. Today I made:

2 pies

24 muffins

strawberry Claflouti

Tomorrow I will make strawberry pancakes, strawberry cream cheese spread, a strawberry jelly roll cake, and lots of jam, and maybe strawberry cupcakes. Yesterday dh made strawberry daiquiris. :D

I'm tired.

Sounds yummy! :)

Since my kids have recently fallen in love with all things nutella I have to ask about the cake. Can I have the recipe when you get the chance?

• Like 6

Ladies, I'm off tomorrow mid-morning for a girlfriend game weekend. We're going to stay in a hotel in nearby Cocoa Beach. Unlike most people, we'll actually be avoiding the beach as it will be packed with spring breakers. Instead we're bringing board games and card games and will spend Saturday, Saturday night, and part of Sunday playing them. I know. I'm a wild woman. So are my friends. ;)

I doubt I'll get any reading done. See you all in next week's thread.

• Like 14

Ladies, I'm off tomorrow mid-morning for a girlfriend game weekend.... Instead we're bringing board games and card games and will spend Saturday, Saturday night, and part of Sunday playing them.

I'd like to know what board and card games you'll be playing.  Have a fun weekend, you wild woman.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 6

I can't find that book. Who is the author? 

Here  it is:

http://www.amazon.com/From-Then-Now-Childrens-Literature/dp/0887765408

It's a *very* brief overview of world history - all of time in just 10 chapters.  It's almost too brief to be useful. But it is modern, and comes through the present, unlike Gombrich, and it is reasonably well written, with a very modern sensibility.  The author is Canadian.  It's not too Eurocentric, either.  A nice, very brief comprehensive snapshot of world history.  My dd8 is following along, it's almost too little for dd12.  So good for that upper elemenatry/ middle grade period.

• Like 8

You deserve every minute of mind candy reading!  

I started West of the West today, a collection of reportage style essays about different facets of modern California. The author, Mark Arax, is a former LA Times reporter and a native of the Central Valley. I love the title, which is from a quote by Teddy Roosevelt who said "When I'm in California, I'm not in the West. I'm west of the West."  

As a native Californian, with a bunch of "real" westerners in my extended family (CO, AZ, NM, TX), I can say this is so true!

• Like 6

I am looking forward to your review! I like Evanovich's books also, at least the Stephanie Plum ones.

• Like 5

Ladies, I'm off tomorrow mid-morning for a girlfriend game weekend. We're going to stay in a hotel in nearby Cocoa Beach. Unlike most people, we'll actually be avoiding the beach as it will be packed with spring breakers. Instead we're bringing board games and card games and will spend Saturday, Saturday night, and part of Sunday playing them. I know. I'm a wild woman. So are my friends. ;)

see you later, doll! Have fun!

• Like 7

FInished Mansfield Park. Wonderful. Finished Westing Game with the boys--I didn't love it, to be honest. 

Started Persuasion for myself, and I have to think what we want to listen to next.....

I was watching Mansfield Park yesterday and thinking I should read the book.

• Like 5

I just finished To the Grave by Steve Robinson https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/20549824-to-the-gravewhich was my Amazon Prime choice for the month. I had previously read the first book in this series and enjoyed it. The series is about a professional genealogist who lives in the DC area but his work seems to keep taking him to England. This one centered around finding the parents of an adopted woman who recently received a suitcase of items belonging to her birth mother. Part of the story is set in WWII England. As the search progresses a series of murders occurs.....There are two more in the series on prime so I plan to keep reading them.

• Like 3

Well, I finished Ulysses. It's been a goal of mine for maybe 15 years and I'm glad it took that long because I got much more out of it at this age than I would have had I completed my first attempt. The ending made me cry because although it was odd and disturbing on the surface, the underlying message gave me some hope. I can't think of anything to say about the book that hasn't already been said in a much better way by people much more devoted and learned than I am. "Man, what a book!" doesn't seem to cut it.

My next goal is to read The Most Dangerous Book: The Battle for James Joyce's Ulysses:

Salvation finally came from the partnership of Bennett Cerf, the cofounder of Random House, and Morris Ernst, a dogged civil liberties lawyer. With their stewardship, the case ultimately rested on the literary merit of Joyce’s master work. The sixty-year-old judicial practices governing obscenity in the United States were overturned because a federal judge could get inside Molly Bloom’s head.

And of course I'll have to give the entire book another reading in the future. That was pretty much the main way I got through it, by telling myself this was a "first read through" so now I have a promise to keep.

• Like 9

Oh, and I have someone to thank for mentioning the Ulysses goodreads group in Week 1, but I can't get back to the thread because of the social groups snafu to remind myself who it was.

Robin, did you mean for the title to say 2014?

• Like 4

2 pies

24 muffins

strawberry Claflouti 

I'm tired.  

:drool5:  Strawberries aren't even my favorite but I think we should all come to your house for tea time!

Have fun!  My cousin and I did a weekend away in January...shopping and scrapbooking...it was so much fun!

Yay!!  Enjoy the week!

Thanks!  They were delivered safely this morning, though Aly went with a low grade fever.   :glare: I hope she feels better and can enjoy her spring break!

• Like 6

Oh my gosh!  Kareni, it worked!  She suggested I join the autism group and see if I can access the threads.  Sure enough, once I was approved, I clicked on my content, went to the last thread couldn't access. It popped up.  I edited out the tags and zip, bam, boom.  It worked.

:party: :party: :party: :party:

Of course, now I have to go through every single thread to delete the stupid tags.  Ah well.  A few at a time, when I have more time. 

• Like 11