Menu

Give me specific details about how you use TRISMS

I just purchased TRISMS History's Masterminds to use with my daughter for 7th and 8th grade over the next couple years. I'm now looking to see the different ways people use the curriculum in their own schools. 

1) How do you schedule it? (I'm thinking of doing a very loose year-long schedule that simply says, "Lesson 1, lesson 1, lesson 1..." for two weeks, then switch to lesson 2 for two weeks, etc. I'm thinking this will allow my daughter to have some say into which items get done on which day. If you see a flaw in this, or think another way is better, please let me know!) 

2) How do you set up your coursebook(s)?

3) Which sources do you mostly use for information?

4) Is there a favorite encyclopedia/dictionary/book that you always go to first? 

5) I reserve the right to come up with more questions once people start giving answers.  :lol:

I just purchased TRISMS History's Masterminds to use with my daughter for 7th and 8th grade over the next couple years. I'm now looking to see the different ways people use the curriculum in their own schools. 

1) How do you schedule it? (I'm thinking of doing a very loose year-long schedule that simply says, "Lesson 1, lesson 1, lesson 1..." for two weeks, then switch to lesson 2 for two weeks, etc. I'm thinking this will allow my daughter to have some say into which items get done on which day. If you see a flaw in this, or think another way is better, please let me know!) 

2) How do you set up your coursebook(s)?

3) Which sources do you mostly use for information?

4) Is there a favorite encyclopedia/dictionary/book that you always go to first? 

5) I reserve the right to come up with more questions once people start giving answers.  :lol:

My teen is using Discovering the Ancient World, which is divided into 18, 2 week units, instead of 36 weekly lesson plans. There are two research papers in the high school level. Not sure about in History Masterminds.

I picked up a large binder and number tab, I put all the pages, maps and such for each unit in the large binder.

My son puts his current unit in a working binder that he uses for other subjects as well, when complete he puts all the completed pages back in the large binder.

For reference books we have a collegiate dictionary, Worldbook Encyclopedia and use the internet as needed.

For the other books, I went through the suggested resources lists and order used copies of desired books online. I rarely paid more than $2 for any book. I found a couple at the library sales free day.

Sometimes a books is not available or out of print, I would substitute something appropriate as needed.

*I did not use the IEW portion, I do my own thing for writing.

My younger son will be doing History Masterminds for 7th grade.

My teen is using Discovering the Ancient World, which is divided into 18, 2 week units, instead of 36 weekly lesson plans. There are two research papers in the high school level. Not sure about in History Masterminds.

My son puts his current unit in a working binder that he uses for other subjects as well, when complete he puts all the completed pages back in the large binder.

Thank you so much for explaining!

So, in his working binder, do you just put an entire unit, and he works on it for the entire two-week period? Or do you break it into daily chunks for him? 

Thank you so much for explaining!

So, in his working binder, do you just put an entire unit, and he works on it for the entire two-week period? Or do you break it into daily chunks for him? 

I just put the whole unit in, but this is high school. 

During the units where he has a research paper print out a two week calendar for him to plan out his research and writing time, as well as making him write in any activities and such he has so he has a whole picture of what to do when.

Our History Masterminds should be here soon, not the most recent version though, and I can look through it and see how I plan to lay it out as well. I think the older versions do weekly units instead of two week units, not sure about the newest revision.

*ETA, the old ones were pre- IEW and have language arts lessons included in them.

I just received the newest HM, and it has 38 lessons, which I plan to do over 7th and 8th grade. I want to work with her during the first part of the year on scheduling, with the hopes that by the end of 7th grade, she's able to take that on herself. I just don't know exactly how I want to tackle that.

She did say that she wants to do the IEW writing with it, since we're doing it at home. She took SWI at our co-op, and by half way through the year, she no longer liked it. I think when we got to multiple sources it threw her off a bit. At home, I can work on that unit slower with her, to make sure she fully understands it. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...