Menu

Unexpected affirmation

MEmama

Yesterday we were out shopping for a new couch. The salesman and I were chatting and when he asked what I do for work, I told him I homeschool DS. I'm usually pretty reserved heading into this conversation, especially with older folks who may not be super comfortable with it. I have no hidden agenda or big hatred toward public school and I don't want to be perceived that way or feel like I need to defend my decisions.

Anyway...the guy immediately LIT UP and started gushing about how much better behaved homeschooled kids are, and what a SERVICE stay at home moms make to their children. He admitted to not knowing much about homeschooling specifics, but went on and on about the difference it makes when one parent stays at home, or is home after school. I was really taken aback and couldn't help but tear up at his kindness. I mean, I don't need affirmation for my life choices from the furniture salesman, but wow--it sure made my day. I've heard all kinds of support for homeschooling, but I don't think I've ever had anyone thank me for being a stay at home mom.

Thought I'd share this unexpected awesomeness with all you other stay at home/homeschooling/after schooling/intentional parents! :)

• Like 21

I love affirmation. I loved it when I was a corporate trainer and my coworkers would buy me cards and say, "Thank you for helping us learn the new accounting software!"

I loved it when I worked critiquing essays for college students and they would say, "You have taught me more on this one essay than I learned in all my classes!"

And if someone were to walk up to me and say, "You are doing a great job staying at home caring for your kids!" it would feel the same way. Awesome and touching and uplifting.

• Like 3

I love affirmation. I loved it when I was a corporate trainer and my coworkers would buy me cards and say, "Thank you for helping us learn the new accounting software!"

I loved it when I worked critiquing essays for college students and they would say, "You have taught me more on this one essay than I learned in all my classes!"

And if someone were to walk up to me and say, "You are doing a great job staying at home caring for your kids!" it would feel the same way. Awesome and touching and uplifting.

These are great reminders to speak up when we positive things to say. So often I've let opportunities slip by to thank someone or pass on a kindness. Thank you for pointing out that it really does make a difference! :)