Menu

Confession time

jenn-

Hello. My name is Jenn and I have sensory processing disorder. I react to both physical and audio stimuli.

I have pushed myself to my limit today. We went to Six Flags, then went through some h*llish Atlanta traffic (I can barely handle this without the other stimuli first), and finished off in an extremely busy Trader Joes. All I want to do is get home and crawl under my weighted blanket. I need this to happen with the least amount of physical contact and natural sound as humanly possible, but with 4 kids I and at least another 1.5 hrs in the car, my odds are not good.

Feel free to add your confessions.

• Like 3

I confess that I spent the whole day binge-watching Dexter. I did manage to throw some laundry in the machine between episodes, and I also worked in loading the dishwasher, but DD was gone all day and this has been a LONG week, so Dexter and I hung out all day and ate wild berry pie with raspberry white chocolate ice cream. 

• Like 4

:grouphug:  I totally hear you. I'm the same way. We went to Great Wolf Lodge with friends a few years ago, and it was utterly and completely overwhelming to me. Between having no time alone for the whole trip, the noise and general sensory overload of the water park, then having to wait forever in line to shower and get two young kids showered before we left, then having to get dressed in an area that was so completely overheated and humid that I could barely even get my (winter!) clothes on without them sticking all over me, then having to find DH and go back through the steaming, thundering water park... I had a near meltdown in the lobby. I almost started crying! I insisted on going to get the car in the freezing cold, where I sat without my coat for a few minutes and tried to breathe normally. Then I was able to pick DH and the kids up at the door and survive the drive home. I'd never experienced anything like that before! It was scary, and I learned a lot about my limits that day. DH (super mega extrovert and the more noise, the better) does NOT get it all, but he's learned to just be patient with me. 

Good luck tonight!

• Like 4

I got a sunburn on the tops of my legs and feet today.  I do it every single year.  Every March, I overdo somehow, not because of deliberate tanning but in the course of some fun spring activity, and I regret it.  I'm old enough to know better. 

I am striving to keep my GPA up (3.9) and it requires a lot of work. Four classes and the majority of the work is done out of class. Consequently, my house is a mess and some days I don't get dressed.

Enough confession for one post.

A near 4.0 GPA is a hard thing to maintain!  You've done great.  The house will still be standing when the schooling is done.  There are several days of the week that a variety of children manage to not get dressed.  Never me though as I am always out the door with one or another of them.

I am about to go eat mint moose track and michigan cherry cobbler ice cream (yes, TWO cartons), and I'm NOT sharing.

Jealous!  Ice cream is right up there with the hardest thing to lose to my dairy free switch.  Those sound yummy!

I confess that I spent the whole day binge-watching Dexter. I did manage to throw some laundry in the machine between episodes, and I also worked in loading the dishwasher, but DD was gone all day and this has been a LONG week, so Dexter and I hung out all day and ate wild berry pie with raspberry white chocolate ice cream. 

Netflix binging and getting the oldest out of the house with her grandma are on the agenda for tomorrow.  She's not medicated for her ADHD over the weekend and OMG she never shuts up for more than a few minutes.  The boys will probably be allowed way more time on the computer then I normally allow.

:grouphug:  I totally hear you. I'm the same way. We went to Great Wolf Lodge with friends a few years ago, and it was utterly and completely overwhelming to me. Between having no time alone for the whole trip, the noise and general sensory overload of the water park, then having to wait forever in line to shower and get two young kids showered before we left, then having to get dressed in an area that was so completely overheated and humid that I could barely even get my (winter!) clothes on without them sticking all over me, then having to find DH and go back through the steaming, thundering water park... I had a near meltdown in the lobby. I almost started crying! I insisted on going to get the car in the freezing cold, where I sat without my coat for a few minutes and tried to breathe normally. Then I was able to pick DH and the kids up at the door and survive the drive home. I'd never experienced anything like that before! It was scary, and I learned a lot about my limits that day. DH (super mega extrovert and the more noise, the better) does NOT get it all, but he's learned to just be patient with me. 

Good luck tonight!

I can usually cope with my touch issues on a day to day basis without the meltdown point (mainly because everyone except the dog knows not to touch me unless I initiate it), but add the extreme noisiness of the park and I was already in trouble before we went into town.  If we were not desperate for a TJ run, I would have skipped it (we were desperate because last Six Flags trip, I couldn't do it).

It is really scary the first time it really hits hard.  Knowing your limits help, but every so often I have to be the one to buck up and tolerate it for the kids.  Next time I will think to bring my headphones into the park with me.  I know it seems weird, but I fight the randomness of the noises with something I can control and it makes me at peace.  Same thing with my weighted blanket.  Don't touch me, but I'm going to calm down under this really heavy blanket now.

I got a sunburn on the tops of my legs and feet today.  I do it every single year.  Every March, I overdo somehow, not because of deliberate tanning but in the course of some fun spring activity, and I regret it.  I'm old enough to know better. 

Ouch!  Sunburns hurt.  I feel like my face is either wind burned or sun burned a bit from the day.  Not too bad as I always try to wear a wide brim hat to protect it from the top.  I hope you have some Aloe to put on for soothing and a DH or child willing to blow on it once you put it on.

• Like 3

We've been away for eleven days and I only had today to get ready for this upcoming week. I spent the day making pillowcases to match a quilt my dd surprised me with.  Haven't cleaned the bathroom, done laundry, or opened the math books to prep for my tutored students tomorrow. 

No regrets.  After visiting my inlaws, I earned a 'me' day.  Truthfully, I earned a lot of them. 

• Like 2

Totally understand how you feel.  I've spent the past 4 days doing stuff outside of my house and it's always draining.  I just want to stay home and watch my shows on my computer and not talk to anyone for a day or at least 3 or 4 hours.  If I could, I would be a hermit and have library  books and groceries delivered.

• Like 3

In our community, March Break was last week.  I haven't recovered yet from all the activities and the drain of winter. I need 3-5 days to plan out my kids lessons for September.  So, my kids are getting another partial March Break, Daddy will be getting a lot of time with the kids.  Anyone who interrupts me will be handed a card with a list of chores to do.  The only exception is if someone is bleed profusely.  Then I might care about what is going on around me.  If everything goes well, then I can get it done is 3 days, I'll spend the last 2 getting caught up on my TV shows and taking long hot baths.

• Like 2

Today's confession: I really want some backyard chickens and have wanted them for several years.  My DH really does not want chickens and it is taking everything in me not to bat my eyes and beg.  He'll give in if I push, but then he might resent me later.  Every year I say maybe next year, and I guess this year will be no different.

• Like 1

My confession for the day:

I posted a blog post about this upcoming school year, and then I just clicked back through my blog and the first couple of years we were homeschooling...  I got up early!  I sat down and helped the kids!  A lot of our stuff was hands on! .... and then I just felt like a great big loser because I've been having a lot of trouble getting that much motivation together since... well, a long time lol.  

True, the kids were younger then, and there's a lot more they need assistance with at that stage, etc.  But... yeah.  I kind of looked at the pictures and thought, 'Wow, they look like they're having fun... do they look that happy now?' and started beating myself up a bit.

So yeah.  My confession is that I used to be a 'good' homeschooling mom and now I feel like I totally dropped the ball.  :(

We took last week off to sort the house and sell things we aren't taking in our move across the country in July.  I was going to handle it myself but realized I really needed the kids' help.  They did do math every day, but other than that, it was our first impromptu week off.  The confession part is that I should count that as spring break, but I'm not.  Spring break is in April. lol

Highly sensitive person here - 
Yesterday, I stupidly took my introverted daughter to an Easter egg scramble. Holy freaking heck. That stressed me out. That stressed her out. NOT worth it. 
Then, today, I took her to The Butterfly Palace (a butterfly and rainforest exhibit). Seems harmless, right? On most days, I'm sure it is. But, it was Princess Day. Every darn little girl and her mom from SW Missouri was there. It was overwhelming.

Confession: I came home, put my daughter down for a late nap, and sat in the dark and the quiet for 2 hours trying to recharge after being overly stimulated and stressed. 

• Like 1

:grouphug: I totally hear you. I'm the same way. We went to Great Wolf Lodge with friends a few years ago, and it was utterly and completely overwhelming to me. Between having no time alone for the whole trip, the noise and general sensory overload of the water park, then having to wait forever in line to shower and get two young kids showered before we left, then having to get dressed in an area that was so completely overheated and humid that I could barely even get my (winter!) clothes on without them sticking all over me, then having to find DH and go back through the steaming, thundering water park...

I get the same way at those big indoor water park places and I couldn't quite explain why I felt so overwhelmed. It's not fun for me and we end up going every year for a conference/family thing. I was always thankful when one or the other of the kids were a baby and I had a built in excuse to go back to the room. "Vacation" for me is usually anything but. I think I need to get better at communicating the why with the fam.

• Like 2

Wow! That seriously sounds like the BEST DAY EVER!!!

I'm so jealous.

• Like 1

Maxed out on stress today, too. :(. But the day involved making sure I took my kids, specifically my college freshman on spring break so he'd want to hang with us instead of getting to go off with college friends.

So I decided to travel via non-rev air travel to a state many states away where we have dear friends. Got lost going to major airport long term parking. Found it, whew!

Gate attendant lost our itineraries when she put us in seats, and due to non-revving we were already the last in the airplane! The next connecting flight was over sold, so we decided the best thing would be to drive to our final destination 4 hours from the 2nd airport of the day.

Airlines lost and had no record of one son's luggage. That one son had thought it would be funny to steal other son's shoe and put in his luggage, so we would have one son with nothing, and another son with no shoes! Thank God they found all of our luggage and we proceed to rental car company.

Rental car is twice what we rented for in another city. I nearly cried. But put on big girl panties and cancelled that reservation and found one a little cheaper. Drive 4 hours in Ford Focus hatchback (cute and fun to drive and surprisingly spacious).

Get to destination, buy groceries, and while unloading, one son locks us out of the condo were renting. Have to drive 20 minutes back to owner to get another key. My confession??? I want to go home, cry in my bed and drink myself silly. But instead, I will channel someone else and be a fun, outgoing mom and make this a good vacation that we all need!

• Like 1

Highly sensitive person here - 

Yesterday, I stupidly took my introverted daughter to an Easter egg scramble. Holy freaking heck. That stressed me out. That stressed her out. NOT worth it. 

Then, today, I took her to The Butterfly Palace (a butterfly and rainforest exhibit). Seems harmless, right? On most days, I'm sure it is. But, it was Princess Day. Every darn little girl and her mom from SW Missouri was there. It was overwhelming.

Confession: I came home, put my daughter down for a late nap, and sat in the dark and the quiet for 2 hours trying to recharge after being overly stimulated and stressed. 

I have really lucked out that my "sensational" son has pretty much grown out of his issues.  He used to have complete and utter meltdowns when it got to be too much.  Ah... to be 3 again and have it be socially acceptable to through a fit in public.  His twin doesn't melt down, but he definitely cannot stand loud noises and is often the kid with his fingers in his ears if it gets too intense or loud.

I'm really glad you had a good chance to recharge after the event.

I get the same way at those big indoor water park places and I couldn't quite explain why I felt so overwhelmed. It's not fun for me and we end up going every year for a conference/family thing. I was always thankful when one or the other of the kids were a baby and I had a built in excuse to go back to the room. "Vacation" for me is usually anything but. I think I need to get better at communicating the why with the fam.

Water parks are the absolute worst for me.  My boys went to their first one this past summer and I almost backed out.  I nearly drowned in one in high school and to say my anxiety level is somewhere through the roof just thinking about them would be an understatement. 

I have told my DH that yesterday cannot be repeated.  We have an annual pass for Six Flags so I will have to find a way to tolerate it, but never again will I follow it with a trip into the city.  We live to the west side of the park so we can completely miss Atlanta getting to the park, so that is what we will have to continue to do.  Trader Joes will just have to wait until they get the one in AL finally open (please please announce a date soon).

• Like 2

When we were on vacation last week I made everyone dress in the same colors each day.  This was not so that we would match but so when we got home I could gather all the clothes we wore that day and throw them all in the washer.  I set the washer to run during the night and dried them in the morning while everyone was getting ready to go to that days activities. Last day of vacation I did an extra load of socks and underwear.  This way I ended the vacation with no laundry to do.  The kids just thought the matching clothes were part of the fun.  :blushing:

• Like 5

Maxed out on stress today, too. My husband is in the Middle East.till.mid.May :(. But the day involved making sure I took my kids, specifically my college freshman on spring break so he'd want to hang with us instead of getting to go off with college friends.

So I decided to travel via non-rev air travel to a state many states away where we have dear friends. Got lost going to major airport long term parking. Found it, whew!

Gate attendant lost our itineraries when she put us in seats, and due to non-revving we were already the last in the airplane! The next connecting flight was over sold, so we decided the best thing would be to drive to our final destination 4 hours from the 2nd airport of the day.

Airlines lost and had no record of one son's luggage. That one son had thought it would be funny to steal other son's shoe and put in his luggage, so we would have one son with nothing, and another son with no shoes! Thank God they found all of our luggage and we proceed to rental car company.

Rental car is twice what we rented for in another city. I nearly cried. But put on big girl panties and cancelled that reservation and found one a little cheaper. Drive 4 hours in Ford Focus hatchback (cute and fun to drive and surprisingly spacious).

Get to destination, buy groceries, and while unloading, one son locks us out of the condo were renting. Have to drive 20 minutes back to owner to get another key. My confession??? I want to go home, cry in my bed and drink myself silly. But instead, I will channel someone else and be a fun, outgoing mom and make this a good vacation that we all need!

Way to problem-solve, my friend!  :grouphug:  I'm sorry it was so hard!  I hope you get some rest and some fun.

• Like 2

Today's confession: I really want some backyard chickens and have wanted them for several years.  My DH really does not want chickens and it is taking everything in me not to bat my eyes and beg.  He'll give in if I push, but then he might resent me later.  Every year I say maybe next year, and I guess this year will be no different.

There's this picture floating around on fb of these chicken coop TUNNELS you build out of chicken wire.  For some reason this was really seeming practical to me...  and that worries me.  Can you imagine what happens when the coyotes get to sniffing a tunnel of chickens trapped in wire?   :lol: 

There's this picture floating around on fb of these chicken coop TUNNELS you build out of chicken wire. For some reason this was really seeming practical to me... and that worries me. Can you imagine what happens when the coyotes get to sniffing a tunnel of chickens trapped in wire? :lol:

I've seen that picture floating around. It really seems like a good idea if it was built correctly. Most predators would be snacking on chicken in seconds with how it is in the picture.

When we were on vacation last week I made everyone dress in the same colors each day.  This was not so that we would match but so when we got home I could gather all the clothes we wore that day and throw them all in the washer.  I set the washer to run during the night and dried them in the morning while everyone was getting ready to go to that days activities. Last day of vacation I did an extra load of socks and underwear.  This way I ended the vacation with no laundry to do.  The kids just thought the matching clothes were part of the fun.  :blushing:

You are a genius!  I applaud you.

Confessions? I don't really like Nutella. :o

Now your just being trulycrabby!  :)

• Like 3

Confession of the day: I'm tired.  I'm tired of homeschooling, of always feeling responsible for every aspect of my kids life.  I'm tired of feeling like I'm always pushing.  I need a break.  I would gladly go drop all of my children off at the nearest school but the local school truly s*cks.  There is no other option but me and right now I feel as if I'm drowning in quick sand. 

• Like 3

Confession of the day: I'm tired.  I'm tired of homeschooling, of always feeling responsible for every aspect of my kids life.  I'm tired of feeling like I'm always pushing.  I need a break.  I would gladly go drop all of my children off at the nearest school but the local school truly s*cks.  There is no other option but me and right now I feel as if I'm drowning in quick sand. 

I feel your pain!  Being everything to everyone is exhausting.  :grouphug:  :grouphug:

• Like 1

I always do all our laundry on vacation! I hate coming home with laundry now that I know how heavenly it is not to. We're going on a cruise in July and I'm dreading not being able to just wash whatever we need and the idea that we have to bring enough clothes to get us through the week. I really like traveling light!

• Like 1

Confessions? I don't really like Nutella. :o

I confess that I think you're a freak!  :tongue_smilie: (Also, now I really want some Nutella.)

Oh, I'm so right there with you, especially with my entirely unmotivated, lackadaisical, slightly anxious oldest. Except that our schools are OK, but oldest is behind in everything (IMO) and putting her in school right now would wreck her, and youngest DD is having some kind of learning disability that I don't trust them to sort out, and I don't ever see her thriving in a school situation. We have no money for an evaluation (like, we have negative money right now, basically), but I have to find a way to get her seen :(

This was actually going to be my confession the other day, but I couldn't bring myself to type it out  :crying:

• Like 2

I always do all our laundry on vacation! I hate coming home with laundry now that I know how heavenly it is not to. We're going on a cruise in July and I'm dreading not being able to just wash whatever we need and the idea that we have to bring enough clothes to get us through the week. I really like traveling light!

I thought it was totally worth the fee to have it done on board!

Good luck tonight!

Thank you for this!  I will now have a much easier time resisting the appeal of their ads.

OP, thank you for this thread.  DD13 has had some SI issues, and I suspect that I do, too (never diagnosed, in my case).

DH's family (his parents, their boys and families -- including us, and one SIL's mom) are all planning on going to a lake resort in Arkansas this summer.  We've done beach houses together before, and those were not as great a success as I would have liked.  But we do enjoy each others' company, and we want to see this place SIL and DH's folks have told us about.  So, since the one big cabin they planned to house us all won't fit us (we exceed the maximum allowed) I volunteered our family (of 4) to take a separate, smaller cabin.  On top of that I deliberately chose one with fewer beds to minimize the number of kids who might "sleep over" in our cabin on any given night.  And then I told MIL the real reason why I wanted a separate cabin -- to have a quieter place to retreat to when I get noised out.  She and I ended up having a good discussion about what it it like for me when I get too much.  We did not discuss me having potential SI issues, but we did discuss my permanent tinnitus and the apparent progression of hearing loss, and how I just get worn out to the point where it is all an inundating flood that my brain cannot filter through anymore.

Because of this thread I am looking into adult sensory integration/processing some more.  With luck it will give me more speaking points to help me explain to the others why I retreat when and how I do.  Hopefully renewed research (mine) into this will also help me explain to other family members why DD reacts the way she does, too.  It is not as simple as "sucking it up" and "just deal"ing.

Additional confession:  DD is overall having a tough time getting going at all today, though her younger sister and I are fine.  I have declared Monday to be a two-day day, so they can choose how much of today's work to do today and how much to do tomorrow.  Our schedule has the room to allow this once in a while.  They have done some work, but are now enjoying Minecraft.  Sometimes downtime is needed.

• Like 1

OP, thank you for this thread.  DD13 has had some SI issues, and I suspect that I do, too (never diagnosed, in my case).

DH's family (his parents, their boys and families -- including us, and one SIL's mom) are all planning on going to a lake resort in Arkansas this summer.  We've done beach houses together before, and those were not as great a success as I would have liked.  But we do enjoy each others' company, and we want to see this place SIL and DH's folks have told us about.  So, since the one big cabin they planned to house us all won't fit us (we exceed the maximum allowed) I volunteered our family (of 4) to take a separate, smaller cabin.  On top of that I deliberately chose one with fewer beds to minimize the number of kids who might "sleep over" in our cabin on any given night.  And then I told MIL the real reason why I wanted a separate cabin -- to have a quieter place to retreat to when I get noised out.  She and I ended up having a good discussion about what it it like for me when I get too much.  We did not discuss me having potential SI issues, but we did discuss my permanent tinnitus and the apparent progression of hearing loss, and how I just get worn out to the point where it is all an inundating flood that my brain cannot filter through anymore.

Because of this thread I am looking into adult sensory integration/processing some more.  With luck it will give me more speaking points to help me explain to the others why I retreat when and how I do.  Hopefully renewed research (mine) into this will also help me explain to other family members why DD reacts the way she does, too.  It is not as simple as "sucking it up" and "just deal"ing.

Additional confession:  DD is overall having a tough time getting going at all today, though her younger sister and I are fine.  I have declared Monday to be a two-day day, so they can choose how much of today's work to do today and how much to do tomorrow.  Our schedule has the room to allow this once in a while.  They have done some work, but are now enjoying Minecraft.  Sometimes downtime is needed.

I originally posted for both a fun thread and to bring to light a major issue I deal with on a daily basis.  I was the child the screamed and cried when tickled because that sensation is translated into physical pain.  I will never forget the day I watched a Judging Amy episode and they dealt with that exact issue.  That episode let me know that I wasn't the only one.  I really feel that more adults need to speak up with these issues as I think there are probably a lot of us that suffer in silence. 

I am currently trying to put my issues into words so that I can post it to FB.  We have a large family reunion in May (sharing 2 large houses) and most of these people barely know me at all.  I need them to know why I will shy away from hugs and probably be found hiding on occasion.

I confess that I think you're a freak!  :tongue_smilie: (Also, now I really want some Nutella.)

Oh, I'm so right there with you, especially with my entirely unmotivated, lackadaisical, slightly anxious oldest. Except that our schools are OK, but oldest is behind in everything (IMO) and putting her in school right now would wreck her, and youngest DD is having some kind of learning disability that I don't trust them to sort out, and I don't ever see her thriving in a school situation. We have no money for an evaluation (like, we have negative money right now, basically), but I have to find a way to get her seen :(

This was actually going to be my confession the other day, but I couldn't bring myself to type it out  :crying:

:grouphug:  Sometimes you just have to say it out loud or write it down.  It can help just to get it out of your head.   :grouphug: