Menu

American Literature - happy, uplifting?

Hi

We are finishing our year of American Literature.  My daughter is tired of death and dismay.  Any suggestions on uplifting or happy Am Lit books to give us a break?  She loved Twain and his sense  of humor but we have read all of his.

• Like 1

What has she read?  Many of the standard American Lit stuff can be uplifting if you look at different aspects of it.  The Scarlet Letter for example.  You can focus on how Hester is outcast, or you can focus on how she wears her choices proudly and in the end becomes an excelling member of society regardless of the choices.  She chooses to decide about upmost moral character in the face of others treating her quite terribly and in the end winds up victorious.

Walden is very similar.  You can focus on how Henry David Thoreau is such a pompous blatherer who really needed an editor to take out a lot of the repeated downers on the soul's of society, or you can look at how he is deciding to forge a new way of living (albeit for a very short amount of time, in a pretty posh situation) which has caused him to re-evaluate much of the world in a very positive way.

I agree- everybody's take is different.  I think part of the problem is that she is such an avid reader that she goes through so many books, and the focus of Am Lit means a lot of depressing titles.  Her Twain assisgnment was Huck Finn and she read as much Twain as we could get, etc.    She certainly didn't view Uncle Tom's Cabin, Red Badge of Courage,, Narrative of Frederick Douglass, Of Mice and Men,  Scarlet Letter or Jack London as uplifting. She didn't like Steinbeck nor Hemingway.  She thought Poe was morbid, but funny in an odd way. She did like Ransom of Red Chief, Last of the Mohicans.  She loved Twain's sense of humor and appreciated Thoreau and Emerson.  Honestly, I might just have her take a few week break and read through Anne of Green Gables series (for the upteenth time)  to just be happy, then start again.  As I list what she has read, I believe she has definitely had a good year of American Lit- much more than she would get in a public school so it may not matter, but we are in March and I don't want to start another type of Lit this year without getting a little prepared, so we may do some free reading.

• Like 2

If DD has read/discussed/written enough to complete a credit in American Lit., then just let her loose to read what would be enjoyable to her for the rest of the year, regardless of nationality of author. It's okay!  :)

Hmmm… I find it difficult to find American works that are happy AND uplifting AND are classics… Here are some that are not depressing at least. Not all are "classic literature". Many have a good dose of humor in them, or are interesting. And while sci-fi and fantasy often still have hard things happen in them, I think the high-interest aspect makes them worthwhile, and the ones listed here are not dark / depressing / hopeless… Best I can come up with at the moment. ;)

Novels

Tom Sawyer (Twain)

To Kill a Mockingbird (Lee)

something by Bill Bryson

Short Stories

Story without an End (Twain)

Legend of Sleepy Hollow (Irving)

Rip Van Winkle (Irving)
Bride Comes to Yellow Sky (Crane)
Gift of the Magi; Ransom of Red Chief; A Harlem Tragedy (Henry)
The Lady or the Tiger (Stockton)
The Most Dangerous Game (Connell)
The Catbird Seat (Thurber)

The Secret Life of Walter Mitty (Thurber)
Revelation (O'Connor) -- and others by O'Connor; "Southern Grotesque"; black humor, with truth revealed

Plays -- watch them! plays were MEANT to be experienced, rather than read

- Our Town

- Ah, Wilderness

- The Front Page

- You Can't Take It With You
- Twelve Angry Men
- Sunday in the Park with George

Fantasy/Sci-Fi

- Wizard of Earthsea, Tombs of Atuan, The Farthest Shore (LeGuin)

- Howl's Moving Castle (Jones)

- Alphabet of Thorn (McKillip)

- The Changling Sea (McKillip)

- Beauty (McKinley)

- The Blue Sword; The Hero and The Crown (McKinley)

- A Wrinkle in Time, A Wind in the Door, A Swiftly Tilting Planet (L'Engle)

- A Canticle for Leibowitz (Miller)

- Anathem (Stephenson) -- great to read this paired with Canticle for Lweibowitz

- Dune (Herbert)

- Something Wicked This Way Comes (Bradbury)

- The Doomsday Book (Willis)

- I Robot (Asimov)

- Jurassic Park (Crichton)

Okay, these are inspiring to ME, but also involve some poignant/sad moments:

- I Heard the Owl Call My Name (Craven)

- The Joy Luck Club (Tan)

- Gilead (Robinson) -- probably better appreciated by adults

- The River Why (Duncan) -- some brief mature scenes; probably better appreciated by adults

Threads with more ideas:

"Need North American novels that are not depressing!!"

"OK, last one for today… I promise" ("American Lit -- favorite light, funny, we-loved-this-book-because-it-made-us-smile titles")

(NOT exclusively American works):

s/o Steinbeck thread: I need novels that don't have a tragic/fatalistic worldview

High School Literature suggestions that aren't so dark and depressing

Help! Need some modern world literature that is not depressing!

High literature which is encouraging

Suggestions for meaty but not depressing classics for teenagers

Looking for upbeat literature selections 

• Like 1

Thanks for all the suggestions.  She has decided to read Theophilus North, Story of My Life by Helen Keller, Little Men (already read Little Women) and The Double Helix.  that should keep us set for awhile!  I appreciate the great ideas. 

• Like 1