Menu

Spelling recommendations

My kindergartner loves to write, so I think it's important to do spelling next fall. I had thought on using Spelling Workout A, but I wonder if she should use something more advanced as she is a fluent reader. What do you think? (Please avoid abbreviations, if you can -- I'm not familiar with many of them.)

You could do Spalding (the manual is the Writing Road to Reading, by Romalda Spalding). It would be a complete English course for her, as it covers spelling, reading, capitalization and punctuation, and simple writing--everything she needs in one fell swoop. :-) And you only need the manual and a set of phonogram cards.

If you're not sure where to place her, definitely do a simple "placement test" with her before you buy anything. I'm not talking anything fancy--just give her some simple words to spell and see how she does. (You might look over the list of topics in Spelling Workout A and just give her a couple of representative words from the book.) Fluent reading sometimes mean that a child knows how to spell well, but not always. It's often much either to "receive" language than to "express" language, and kids' receptive language is often far ahead of their expressive language. 

If your daughter aces everything in Spelling Workout A, you could just put her into B, or start her halfway through A. A lot of people in the forums (myself included) like All About Spelling, so you might consider that as an option, too. It's fairly teacher-intensive, but it's easy to advance quickly past concepts that your daughter already knows. 

Essentials in Spelling (linked in my siggie) is an introduction to both spelling and cursive.

I would recommend starting at the beginning, but also allowing her to accelerate through.  If you use a wb, give her the weekly tests each day until she comes to the place where she needs to work. If you use what I linked, have her spell those words orally without peeking.  As long as that is easy, do a whole week's lessons in one day and dictate the sentences w/o peeking.  When she needs to peek, slow down to one lesson per day.  Or, take the easy spelling lessons from the start to gain confidence in cursive.

Ability to read and ability to write have nothing to do with each other. It was one of my great astonishments when starting homeschooling that my 5 year old could read chapter books but had trouble spelling three letter CVC words. I'd start at the beginning of whatever you use, and you can always move ahead if needed. If your child likes to write a workbook format should be fine. If not, consider All About Spelling which doesn't require writing. My oldest HATED to hold a pencil in her hand and we used AAS. My current Ker loves writing and workbooks, and we are using Christian Light Education for LA (have just started it as she turned 6).

For K level we just did copywork.  We tried Spelling Workout in grade 3 and really didn't like it at all, the activities seemed totally useless.

This year for grade 4 we used sequeential spelling, which has been both easy and effective.  I did also try it for my first grader, who also likes to write, but it seemed like she wasn't really ready for it.  So we are just carrying on with reading a small amounts of copywork.

I was revisiting Spelling Workout recently.  I have always stayed away because I thought the words were too easy, but I was recently re-reading TWTM, and she recommends placing a good speller a book ahead.  There are 8 books so you would not run out of material.  I have a natural speller, and I always think every spelling program looks way too easy.