Menu

MFW AHL Supplement question

I started my dd off this year with another curriculum that uses BJU Literature. It was not a good fit. I ordered MFW and restarted after Thanksgiving. She is doing so much better with MFW and is really enjoying the Ancient Literature Supplement book. Does this type of literature study continue on in WHL? Mainly I a asking this because I do not see a supplement book in the set for WHL, so I am wondering how this is handled. Thank you!

in WHL:  the literature takes a bit of a different flavor instead of answering questions, essays, and vocab exercises.  Instead, students will read novels, and in some cases write some analysis of that novel.  There will be one novel that is a write plot summary analysis (a little each day).  another novel that will be character analysis and thematic essay.  One essay will be about some discussion point on novel.    Other topics in lit analysis can be briefly found in last several assignments in Writer's Inc.  (and if needed can be expanded). 

so, AHL (9th ) is more Lit. Analysis year with learning argumentative essay structure

WHL, is World Literature, with writings related to that using Writer's Inc. (and research paper).   a few check point questions for basic recall are in the notgrass materials, but those aren't that important or involved honestly.  a little bit of summary is included in notgrass 2014 edition, but not like the AHL year with the lit supplement.

US1: a little more with Lit Supplement, but not the same level at ahl beginning high school.  there is a lit supp for that year

US2: back to the read more and write analysis in response to novel.  That way you have the plot, character, theme, worldview, etc.   a very big kid book report.  giggle.  weird way to put it. 

note on smarr and ahl supplement:  the version of AHL lit supplement was not based on the current SMARR guides or editor.  and mfw modified it in any case with previous editors.

but uhmm... 

I'm not sure I'm seeing anything on smarr's site that is like the AHL guide.  am I just missing it?  everything seems to be online classes. ???  am I just not seeing it at all?

note on smarr and ahl supplement:  the version of AHL lit supplement was not based on the current SMARR guides or editor.  and mfw modified it in any case with previous editors.

but uhmm... 

I'm not sure I'm seeing anything on smarr's site that is like the AHL guide.  am I just missing it?  everything seems to be online classes. ???  am I just not seeing it at all?

I used this 3 years ago, so I don't know anything about the current guides or editor and when someone else took over. If you click on List of Guides, it will take you to the Moodle website. You can pull down the lit guide menus on the right to see the various books' guides. I purchased the guide for the Aenid, and it was set up just like the guides in MFW AHL supplement. There were vocabulary exercises, reading assignments, discussion questions, vocabulary quizzes, etc. They were cheaper then. I got mine for just $7, and now its $16.

On this page of the main website, you'll find the guide to writing and grammar which I thought the supplement is based upon and might be longer and more in-depth.

thank you Amy for that link to the downloads.   yes, that guide with writing and grammar is the one that AHL composition is based on.   ok.. now I see it. The examples are a  different (from that version to mfw).  MFW version includes a section on how to evaluate essay with grades (not seeing it on the smarr site).  the other lessons are there.   I don't know if it's longer or more in depth, or just slightly modified.  not a big deal.  but for those not familiar with what we're talking about and direct links help:

http://www.smarrpublishers.com/T-2400-W.pdf

for some reason, (maybe browser issues), on the main page I'm not able to see anything useful with moodle screenshot.  probably a browser thing.   from main page it made a big deal about new editor and that combined with not seeing anything else, made it hard to know.  thanks for extra help. appreciate it.

but if it would help others... the Intro to Short Story section has some samples (just in case it's just not me who can't find stuff on that site.  wow..  felt like I needed a personal tour guide to find the samples.  )

anyway..

http://www.smarrpublishers.com/moodle/course/view.php?id=52

Amy, thanks again for tip on checking the download page.  I knew it had been there a while back.  grrr..  

• Like 1

thank you Amy for that link to the downloads.   yes, that guide with writing and grammar is the one that AHL composition is based on.   ok.. now I see it. The examples are a  different (from that version to mfw).  MFW version includes a section on how to evaluate essay with grades (not seeing it on the smarr site).  the other lessons are there.   I don't know if it's longer or more in depth, or just slightly modified.  not a big deal.  but for those not familiar with what we're talking about and direct links help:

http://www.smarrpublishers.com/T-2400-W.pdf

for some reason, (maybe browser issues), on the main page I'm not able to see anything useful with moodle screenshot.  probably a browser thing.   from main page it made a big deal about new editor and that combined with not seeing anything else, made it hard to know.  thanks for extra help. appreciate it.

but if it would help others... the Intro to Short Story section has some samples (just in case it's just not me who can't find stuff on that site.  wow..  felt like I needed a personal tour guide to find the samples.  )

anyway..

http://www.smarrpublishers.com/moodle/course/view.php?id=52

Amy, thanks again for tip on checking the download page.  I knew it had been there a while back.  grrr..  

I did see the sample and saw how it was set up like AHL lit suppl.  I've read that it's pretty light on lit analysis, so maybe that is why it's a better fit for my dd at this time.   If I stick with MFW I think their progression would be a good thing for her.  

Jennifer

I used this 3 years ago, so I don't know anything about the current guides or editor and when someone else took over. If you click on List of Guides, it will take you to the Moodle website. You can pull down the lit guide menus on the right to see the various books' guides. I purchased the guide for the Aenid, and it was set up just like the guides in MFW AHL supplement. There were vocabulary exercises, reading assignments, discussion questions, vocabulary quizzes, etc. They were cheaper then. I got mine for just $7, and now its $16.

On this page of the main website, you'll find the guide to writing and grammar which I thought the supplement is based upon and might be longer and more in-depth.

I was able to see all the samples and what what available, but it was pretty pricey for just one guide.  I guess MFW's price for three guides plus the extras is a pretty good deal!