Menu

Expensive soap - is it really better?

momee

I'm just asking.  We have very wealthy friends who use a Citron soap by Crabtree and Evelyn.

I just looked at buying some because I used it once in their bathroom and the soap smelled sooo fantastic BUT $18 vs. $6 for an off shelf choice at Target?

Regardless of the price, I've found the best soaps are the handmade ones sold by small companies.  The ones with ingredients that you can actually read and understand.  

Once I switched to those types of soaps my skin improved drastically.  As soon as I use something store bought, I break out.

• Like 13

For handsoap I do like something that smells luscious and costs more, but that's for MY bathroom only.  My children can just use method or whatever...they are soap hogs.  

For face soap I have  used Dr Bronner's almond soap for years. About $3/bar.  My aesthetician recommended it, and since it is readily available at our natural foods grocery store (and versions are at kroger!), why not!  I always use the bar.  It smells lovely.  It rinses clean. I'm happy. 

• Like 1

I'm just asking.  We have very wealthy friends who use a Citron soap by Crabtree and Evelyn.

I just looked at buying some because I used it once in their bathroom and the soap smelled sooo fantastic BUT $18 vs. $6 for an off shelf choice at Target?

I don't think expensive automatically equals better.   These are large companies and I would assume that they could be using harsh detergents in their soaps.   I make my own soap, but if I didn't I would buy handmade via Etsy or my local WF market which sells handmade cold processed soaps that would be far better for your skin.   I think they run about $4-5 per bar these days.

Also, the fact that the fragrance is strong would give me pause.   Yes, it's nice to have smelly soaps but, in my experience as a soap maker, strong scents are not necessarily good.  I put in scents, but in the soap making process it becomes muted... I can't smell my scents on my skin after showering.  The scents are another harsh element being added to the recipe - so a lot  of it means even more harshness.  Hope that makes sense.

• Like 1

I absolutely love the soaps at World Market. They smell wonderful without being overpowering or having that cloying artificial element that seems to be ubiquitous in drug/grocery store-type products, and are about $5 each. I wear good perfume, so I don't want my soap's scent hanging around; it's just for making me smile in the shower. The packaging is lovely, and I'm the kind of person to whom that totally matters. No apologies. 

• Like 1

I make my own soap but if I am buying it I prefer more natural products, not all of them are very expensive. I would not pay $16 even if the soap contained expensive ingredients. I wouldn't know the percentages and IMO some properties are lost during the soapmaking process, I don't know that it would be worth it. That is why I save the luxury oils for lotions or balms that will be going directly on the skin.

Many things that seem like they look pricey are made with harsh ingredients and is actually less nice of a finished product than some that might appear cheaper but are actually better quality. Unless one has been reading labels and knows what things are it isn't always easy to discern between the two.

I like Dr Bronners fine. I buy the liquid soap for handsoap by the sink.

• Like 1

I make my own soaps (and occasionally sell them as well), and I find that the more natural the ingredients, the better the soap.  Whenever I use commercially made soap, my skin is much itchier.  I'm not a fan of the detergents, lathering agents, and other chemicals in commercially made soap.  You can make your own for much less, and it's a better product all the way around.  I just made some gardening soap for the gardeners in my life the other day.  Smells heavenly, and it has ground walnut shells and shredded loofah in it, to really remove the dirt.

If you're interested in making your own soap, let me know and I can provide with links (if we're still allowed to link to outside sites) to help you get started.

• Like 1

"If you're interested in making your own soap, let me know and I can provide with links (if we're still allowed to link to outside sites) to help you get started."

That sounds awesome!  Who knew?  I'm totally interested.

Well, you all knew obviously, lol.

(I was almost 30 before I realized you could make pancakes without a mix)  I shouldn't be surprised~but I am.

• Like 4

I make my own soaps (and occasionally sell them as well), and I find that the more natural the ingredients, the better the soap.  Whenever I use commercially made soap, my skin is much itchier.  I'm not a fan of the detergents, lathering agents, and other chemicals in commercially made soap.  You can make your own for much less, and it's a better product all the way around.  I just made some gardening soap for the gardeners in my life the other day.  Smells heavenly, and it has ground walnut shells and shredded loofah in it, to really remove the dirt.

If you're interested in making your own soap, let me know and I can provide with links (if we're still allowed to link to outside sites) to help you get started.

Hey that makes 3 soapers here!  We should start our own group :laugh:

• Like 3

I have no clue what is the best soap. However, I meet a ton of geriatrics at work. I always ask what soap is used when I see really beautiful skin. Probably 19 out of 20 tell me Dove. This is anecdotal, obviously, and may just be a coincidence of this age group. But is enough that I switched. Lol.

Regardless of the price, I've found the best soaps are the handmade ones sold by small companies.  The ones with ingredients that you can actually read and understand.  

Once I switched to those types of soaps my skin improved drastically.  As soon as I use something store bought, I break out.

I agree. I had itchy skin and couldn't figure out why. I thought it was age, or that I keep the water too hot, or it's my city water. I tried all kinds of different soaps and body washes. When I happened upon homemade soap and started using it, the itchiness went away. I now stock up at local farmer's markets and craft fairs and I have a few favorite local soap makers. Occasionally I'll try the Bath & Body Works wash that ds uses and then I'm sorry because I get itchy again.

I pay between $4.00-5.50 for homemade soap. I'd never pay those prices listed in the OP. 

soap links:

http://www.soap-making-essentials.com/

http://www.soapmakingforum.com/

where to buy stuff:

http://www.wholesalesuppliesplus.com/

SAP Calculator when you start to do you own recipes: https://www.thesage.com/calcs/LyeCalc.html and http://www.brambleberry.com/pages/Lye-Calculator.aspx

That's just a few.    I love the first one...so much inspiration and she has some very easy newbie recipes.  The forum is nice, but when I was there last, a bit clunky to navigate.  I haven't been in a while, so it might be better now.  I think I may even have the same screen name there too - can't remember.   I use both SAP calcs... because one gives a nice range of lye/water content which is helpful if you make an oopsies.  But, I just prefer the first one more because I started using it first.

Brambleberry also sells soaping supplies and I think they have tutorials...

Enjoy!!  Can't wait to see what other soapers share.

• Like 1

I think it depends on how you define 'better'.  Smell better? Maybe. I avoid scented products so I wouldn't think it was better.  I might like the smell, but I wouldn't buy it.

Is better longer lasting? Double milled soaps do last longer and Crabtree might be double milled. That might  make it more attractive to some.

Does better mean better for your skin? Does it mean makes it softer or moisturizes or whatever?  I think that will depend on the person.

I personally don't buy bar soap, I feel like liquid soap is more sanitary.

Or maybe your friend just likes the luxury of being able to pay that much for soap?

I am fond of the blog 'Beauty Brains" and their general advice is not to pay a premium for anything that is going to get rinsed off. So don't buy expensive shampoo or soap for what it claims to be made with b/c it isn't really on the skin long enough to do much. That is keeping in mind that of course you would avoid anything that you find irritating etc to your skin. But don't buy the fancy soap that is made with seaweed only because you think the seaweed is good for your skin. It won't be on there long enough to do anything. But, buy the fancy soap with seaweed if you like it more, and it makes you happy.

But if money is an issue, spend your money on things that stay on the skin.

http://www.brambleberry.com/ is my favorite.  She has lots of videos to demonstrate soap making for beginners.  Great products and great service!

Wanted to add that soap making is one craft that you can actually turn into a business and make a profit from.  There is a learning curve though, and you have to spend quite a bit of time doing research, as well as studying all the ingredients involved and how they work together.  You will have some disasters in the beginning. :D  I've gotten customers mainly by word of mouth, and I have several customers with specific needs for whom I make custom soaps.  And you can bet that I will charge a premium price for a custom designed soap.  And those people are willing to pay it.  It's very satisfying to help someone who has been struggling with skin sensitivity or other problems find something that finally works for them.

Go through the tutorials on Brambleberry.  Soap Queen TV is awesome, and so it the Teach Soap site.  There are links on the main page.  And ask questions here, too.  With so many soapers, you're sure to find an answer.

• Like 1

Actually Dove soap is recommended by a lot of doctors and cheap and good for your skin. 

I have heard of Drs telling people to feed their kids bologna too.

What do they know about soap?

Dove is detergent, it isn't good for your skin.

Ingredients in Dove

1. Sodium Cocoyl Isethionate
  2. Stearic Acid
  3. Coconut Acid
  4. Sodium Tallowate
  5. Water
  6. Sodium Isethionate
  7. Sodium Stearate
  8. Cocamidopropyl Betaine
  9. Sodium Cocoate and/or Sodium Palm Kernelate
  10. Fragrance
  11. Sodium Chloride
  12. Tetrasodium EDTA
  13. Trisodium Etidronate
  14. BHT
  15. Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891)
  16. Sodium Dodecylbenzene Sulfonate

• Like 1

Ingredients in Dove

Thank you for sharing those ingredients. I have always had really tough skin but recently it's become annoyingly sensitive. I love soap as opposed to shower gels and the only soap my skin seems to tolerate is Dove. Almost everything else including those specially made for sensitive skin flares me up with eczema. I tried the 'natural' ones sold at markets and some pharmacies (here in Australia) but they also seem to irritate my skin. I guess I need to be more conscious of the ingredients in them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ingredients in Dove

Thank you for sharing those ingredients. I have always had really tough skin but recently it's become annoyingly sensitive. I love soap as opposed to shower gels and the only soap my skin seems to tolerate is Dove. Almost everything else including those specially made for sensitive skin flares me up with eczema. I tried the 'natural' ones sold at markets and some pharmacies (here in Australia) but they also seem to irritate my skin. I guess I need to be more conscious of the ingredients in them.

Ingredients in Dove

Ingredients in Dove

Ingredients in Dove

You might try the unscented Dr Bronners. Often it is the fragrances that bother people.

If the Dr Bronners still bothers you then I would think you had a problem with glycerin or coconut. Glycerin is good for your skin unless you are allergic to it. All natural soaps contain glycerin and some mass commercially produced soaps add it so you would need to check the labels.

I would recommend getting that checked if even unscented items bother you, glycerin and coconut allergies are rare and glycerin is a common ingredient in many foods.

For some of us, those natural products can cause eczema flair ups. And Dove might be full of chemicals, but it is also very gentle. It was the only thing my grandfather could tolerate on his stoma site.

Yeah that was why I mentioned a possible glycerin issue. Glycerin can cause that. I have heard similar things about eczema from other people. It isn't because it is gentle but the lack of glycerin. Glycerin is always in all natural soap, it is in a lot of other things though so I would look at that.

That is rare though, glycerin is naturally produced during the soap making process and it is good for your skin, unless it isn't.

Cetaphil might also be a good option for that issue.

Yeah that was why I mentioned a possible glycerin issue. Glycerin can cause that. I have heard similar things about eczema from other people. It isn't because it is gentle but the lack of glycerin. Glycerin is always in all natural soap, it is in a lot of other things though so I would look at that.

That is rare though, glycerin is naturally produced during the soap making process and it is good for your skin, unless it isn't.

Cetaphil might also be a good option for that issue.

Someone here may find this blog article helpful about ingredients:

http://www.botanicalearth.com/handmadesoap1.html

I shop for soap on Etsy - there is a particular maker I like.  My mom also sends me some that is locally made where she lives.  Both of these handmade lines are much better for my dry skin than any soap I can buy in a store, no matter how expensive it is.  And the soap I buy directly from the maker is not all that expensive.  It also smells wonderful, lasts a long time and does not leave any kind of scum. 

If the Dr Bronners still bothers you then I would think you had a problem with glycerin or coconut. Glycerin is good for your skin unless you are allergic to it. All natural soaps contain glycerin and some mass commercially produced soaps add it so you would need to check the labels.

I would recommend getting that checked if even unscented items bother you, glycerin and coconut allergies are rare and glycerin is a common ingredient in many foods.

Bronner's dries my skin out - both the liquid and the bars.  The bar soap I buy on Etsy never dries my skin out.  

Bronner's dries my skin out - both the liquid and the bars. The bar soap I buy on Etsy never dries my skin out.

It would be cheaper and quicker for Shiara to grab a bar of Dr Bronners unscented, in order to see if unscented still bothers her. Shiara stated that natural soaps bother her eczema.

I don't know what percentages they use for their oils, soap with a higher percentage of coconut oil tend to dry my skin out.

I make my own soap but this soap shop is owned by a friend of mine and I would recommend it.

http://www.beantreesoap.com

It *can* be but it's certainly not a given.

I do have some more expensive soaps that I think are excellent and actually not as much more expensive overall. My Paul Mitchell shampoo is way better than the many cheaper items I used to use and it lasts triple the time bc it doesn't take nearly as much do get the in done.

It *can* be but it's certainly not a given.

I do have some more expensive soaps that I think are excellent and actually not as much more expensive overall. My Paul Mitchell shampoo is way better than the many cheaper items I used to use and it lasts triple the time bc it doesn't take nearly as much do get the in done.

I think Sally's Beauty supply has the generic version of this shampoo.

I make my own soaps (and occasionally sell them as well), and I find that the more natural the ingredients, the better the soap. Whenever I use commercially made soap, my skin is much itchier. I'm not a fan of the detergents, lathering agents, and other chemicals in commercially made soap. You can make your own for much less, and it's a better product all the way around. I just made some gardening soap for the gardeners in my life the other day. Smells heavenly, and it has ground walnut shells and shredded loofah in it, to really remove the dirt.

I buy handmade soap but would love to make my own. When I search for info I get more confused. Please share your knowledge!!

I buy handmade soap but would love to make my own. When I search for info I get more confused. Please share your knowledge!!

I'd probably do better answering specific questions.  What would you like to know? 

I have to head off to work now, but I'm sure some of the other soapers here will be happy to help if they see your questions first.

PS.  I just made some yummy honey soap today!

I think Sally's Beauty supply has the generic version of this shampoo.

They do. I tried it hoping to save a bit. Took twice as much to get the same lather and my scalp itched like I'd put itching powder on it. The ingredients are not identical.

These websites have quite a lot of information, tutorials and instructional videos on making soap.

http://millersoap.com/

http://www.soapqueen.com/

Really the most important things to own to start out is a nice digital scale that will measure .00, a decent sized stock pot, a stick blender, random utensils that are to ONLY be used for soap, goggles, I wear those cleaning gloves that go up to my elbow, and that is all before one actually buys the ingredients.

I wouldn't buy books, they usually call for over complicated recipes with luxury ingredients that I don't think are really necessary to make a lovely batch of soap.

Different oils do have different properties once they are soaped. Those websites will talk about that issue, once you read quite a bit one will get an idea of the type of soap they want to make.