Menu

My cast stinks! Help!

chiguirre

I've kept it dry and the outside and the part near my elbow are fine. My palm sweats, though, and there's nothing I can do about that. The inside of my cast that touches my palm is starting to smell of yeast. It's not too gross yet but in 3 weeks it might be unbearable (think Cat's shampoo mishap).

How do I fix this before it gets worse?

Can you slip a hankie inbetween to catch sweat and change it often?  Maybe touch it with something that smells good (an essential oil or perfume)?

Thank you!

I had some dried out baby wipes and that did the trick nicely. Now I have to go buy another package to open and dry out.

you might be able to get a new one put on.  When my dd broke her leg, the cast guy warned her about getting it wet, etc. I asked how much they'd charge me if we needed a new one put on, he glared at me, and then admitted our insurance wouldn't charge us.  (the room was full of kids, which is why I got the glare-he wanted them to be careful)