Menu

OMG which one should we choose? Kitten cuteness

Halcyon

DH agreed that we can adopt another kitten to add to our menagerie. Yay! The woman who is fostering the kittens just sent me a video, and I am torn between Snap Pop and Crackle. Pop is too shy, I think, for our household, so it's down to the other two. 

So cute. 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7j2Q0WyEjJOOW5ZSzVoZWZEdUE/view?usp=sharing

ETA: Fixed the link!1

ETA 2: I messed up the names LOL Pop is the NOT orange one--she's the calico-y one. Oopsy. Yes. Team Pop!!!

down to pop and crackle!

• Like 1

Oh, they're adorable!  Can you take both?  That would be my vote.  They seem so happy playing together.

Otherwise, I think I'll vote for Crackle.  He seems to be kind of in the middle personality wise, which is nice.  Or maybe Snap, I love how lively he is  . . 

I'm no help.  Sorry.  

• Like 1

OMG they're too adorable! I was going to ask if one seems more friendly to humans, but I went to get lunch and came back to see that you posted. I'd say pick Snap. I think while you'd love any of them, the kids would probably be disappointed to get yet another cat who doesn't want much to do with his humans.

• Like 1

I didn't have that impression either.

Yea, i made a  mistake LOL. Pop is the calico-y one, and the foster mom says Crackle is by far the most human oriented, and then Pop is next. So I guess we'll see when we meet them next Friday :) But Pop is the only girl and besides our hens, we have no girls in our house--male dogs, male cat, male children LOL. Oh, and male husband ;)

You don't pick the cat. The cat picks you. ;-)  When DS was getting a kitten, he went to the vet's adoption room, sat on the floor, and waited.  Several kittens checked him out, but one kept coming over to him repeatedly.  A bigger adult cat kept trying to chase it away from DS, but the little guy would sneak around the back and come up to him again, determined to crawl in his lap.  That was DS's cat, and they've been a happy pair ever since. :-)

post-18266-0-23780100-1426953814_thumb.jpg

post-18266-0-23780100-1426953814_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

You don't pick the cat. The cat picks you. ;-)  When DS was getting a kitten, he went to the vet's adoption room, sat on the floor, and waited.  Several kittens checked him out, but one kept coming over to him repeatedly.  A bigger adult cat kept trying to chase it away from DS, but the little guy would sneak around the back and come up to him again, determined to crawl in his lap.  That was DS's cat, and they've been a happy pair ever since. :-)

This is true. We were looking at several at our local shelter and I had my eye on one in particular. When ds and I went back to see them again he said we had to take a different one than the one we were considering, because she picked him. So we adopted her. That was 7 years ago and she's been one of the best and sweetest cats I've ever had.

• Like 2

ETA; okay i messed up! Pop is the calico-y one. And he's the frontrunner now, i think. Here's another vid of him...

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7j2Q0WyEjJONk03aEpuT3NmME0/view?usp=sharing

I can guarantee that Pop is a she, not a he. I'm trying to decide if she's a patched tabby or a tortoiseshell/tortoiseshell-and-white. Not a calico; calico is a white body with splotches of black and orange. Does your budget include spaying? :-)

• Like 3

I can guarantee that Pop is a she, not a he. I'm trying to decide if she's a patched tabby or a tortoiseshell/tortoiseshell-and-white. Not a calico; calico is a white body with splotches of black and orange. Does your budget include spaying? :-)

yes, youre right--pop is a she. and she will be spayed by the shelter before we bring her home. 

• Like 2

Didn't read the other replies.

Calicos are persnickety, and I have a weakness for orange kitties so my vote is orange kitty.

Agreed.  My calico girl has really earned her nickname....Pretty Grumpy.  She's a pretty cat that is pretty grumpy.  She loves my attention (and only my attention), but if things are not 100% her way, she's out of there. 

Stefanie

• Like 1

Agreed. My calico girl has really earned her nickname....Pretty Grumpy. She's a pretty cat that is pretty grumpy. She loves my attention (and only my attention), but if things are not 100% her way, she's out of there.

Stefanie

Haha, careful y'all, you're giving credence to the "dumb blonde" and "angry redhead" schools of thought!

Haha, careful y'all, you're giving credence to the "dumb blonde" and "angry redhead" schools of thought!

No, it's really true!  You can google it and everything.  It was also my observation and the belief spouted by the shelter director when we were Humane Society volunteers.

http://cats.lovetoknow.com/Calico_Cats_Behavior

For the record, we have an all white female cat who is a love bug.  She is on my lap at this very moment.

• Like 1

I love Pop in the videos!  And she looks like she might retain more of a kitten-ish look as she grows, which we really like. 

But I will say that our kitty picked us to a large degree, and all three of these are adorable. When we adopted our kitty, they told us that you really can't tell that much about the eventual adult temperament by observing them as kittens.

If you want more of a certain temperament, adopt a grown kitty - that's what we did at the time, bc our kids were quite young and we needed a cat with patience. If you don't mind rolling the dice, a kitten might be great (and your kids are much older than mine were). 

• Like 1

Don't go by looks!!  We have picked "the cutest cat" every time until our current cat.  I just KNEW I wanted a solid black cat or an orange tabby.  But at the shelter, the brown tabby actually greeted us, wasn't skittish, wanted each of us to hold her, wasn't shy but wasn't all bitey and aggressive--and we all agreed, this was one amazing kitten!!!

She has become beautiful to us, she really is a gorgeous cat--but also, at age 3, she is friendly, she never scratches or bites, she follows us around the house like a dog, wants to be near us.  BEST CAT EVER!!!  We've realized that some of our previous cats were real doozies-they were cute but had awful personalities--run and hide from us all the time, claw and bite us, turn up their noses at us, etc.

So I'm glad you're spending time with the kittens too!  May the best cat win--

B

• Like 3

No, it's really true! You can google it and everything. It was also my observation and the belief spouted by the shelter director when we were Humane Society volunteers.

For the record, we have an all white female cat who is a love bug. She is on my lap at this very moment.

That is fascinating. I tell ya, the things I learn here.

• Like 1

No, it's really true!  You can google it and everything.  It was also my observation and the belief spouted by the shelter director when we were Humane Society volunteers.

For the record, we have an all white female cat who is a love bug.  She is on my lap at this very moment.

Calico isn't even a breed, though, just a coloring. 

The actual breed is going to have far more influence than just the color combination of the cat. 

• Like 1

That link is full of "This isn't scientific" and "IF these rumors hold truth" and "Don't be surprised if this doesn't apply to your own calico" and the like. It's a puff piece - not evidence. Those same people say that humans with red hair are "fiery" and all that.

Anecdotally, not one of the calicos I have owned or known in my life has ever been particularly "fiery", "temperamental", or "strong-willed". Just to pick the most recent three I've known (my own cat, her littermate, and a neighbor's cat) we've got one shy cat who submits to bathtime with a modicum of grace, one docile, friendly people-oriented cat (but not so friendly and people-oriented as her all-orange brother), and one moderately friendly cat who prefers to be left alone much of the time but doesn't hide from people. In other words, a normal assortment of personalities for felines. Even the comments to that post belie the contents - no two of the calicos people describe sound alike, and many of them are explicitly described as "sweet" or "gentle" (and the "gentle" one is a former feral, which is saying a lot).

Most likely, people who already have this idea in their heads about calicos being "persnickety", when they see a calico who fits the description (whatever that means to them), they take that as confirmation. They forget the non-calicos who are "persnickety", and the calicos that are not "persnickety". It's nothing more than confirmation bias.

No, mine is just REALLY persnickety.  She will really only settle down for my attention under two circumstances....I'm on the bed or she crawls in my lap.  Even if she's standing somewhere meowing for my attention, if I pet her, she'll slink away and start giving me dirty looks.  If I'm on the bed, she'll only settle for pets in a specific manner (me on my side with her across my arm).  If I move even a fraction of an inch she takes off and starts sulking.  Same if she crawled into my lap....the moment I even slightly shift in my seat she takes off and sulks.  She's "pretty grumpy".   She's even less cooperative with other people and after 3 years she still *hates* one of the boy cats (the other is her littermate).  But she's not aggressive.  If you catch her, she will let you know she isn't happy and try to get away but she has yet to bite or scratch someone or the kids directly.

Stefanie

Ahh ... how can you pick!?  I wouldn't chose until I met them.  One will pick YOU!  Male cats are generally more zen in my experience, so if I had to pick without meeting I'd probably pick Crackle as being advertised the most human oriented.  But meeting them is even better.  Taking 2 is even better.  Taking all of them is even better yet!  ;)

• Like 1

That link is full of "This isn't scientific" and "IF these rumors hold truth" and "Don't be surprised if this doesn't apply to your own calico" and the like. It's a puff piece - not evidence. Those same people say that humans with red hair are "fiery" and all that.

Anecdotally, not one of the calicos I have owned or known in my life has ever been particularly "fiery", "temperamental", or "strong-willed". Just to pick the most recent three I've known (my own cat, her littermate, and a neighbor's cat) we've got one shy cat who submits to bathtime with a modicum of grace, one docile, friendly people-oriented cat (but not so friendly and people-oriented as her all-orange brother), and one moderately friendly cat who prefers to be left alone much of the time but doesn't hide from people. In other words, a normal assortment of personalities for felines. Even the comments to that post belie the contents - no two of the calicos people describe sound alike, and many of them are explicitly described as "sweet" or "gentle" (and the "gentle" one is a former feral, which is saying a lot).

Most likely, people who already have this idea in their heads about calicos being "persnickety", when they see a calico who fits the description (whatever that means to them), they take that as confirmation. They forget the non-calicos who are "persnickety", and the calicos that are not "persnickety". It's nothing more than confirmation bias.

I was being kind of anecdotal and silly on a fun, frivolous kitten thread.  ;)

I had lots of cats growing up but only one calico.  Her name was Tiffany, but we called her Sweetie.  She was really laid back.  I could dress her in my doll's clothes and cart her around and she didn't care.  She really didn't have any attitude.

• Like 2

Never take just one kitten unless you already have a cat at home. Two or three so they entertain each other is good.

We have a cat :)

A male tabby named Cody who is aloof, except at night when I get in to bed to read my book. Then he comes up next to me, permits himself to be petted for about 10 minutes, and then leaves. 

Most visitors have no idea we have a cat LOL.