Menu

World Down Syndrome Day and being different...

bettyandbob

today is World Down Syndrome Day. Here is a website about it and events all over the world https://www.worlddownsyndromeday.org/2015-global-video-event

But I especially like this video and I think the message applies to other people who might be different ( maybe all of us)

For those of you who don't know my youngest child has Down Syndrome. He is 13. He attends public school and has always had a large amount of inclusion with typical children until this year (middle school). The change was correct for academics, but I had to push to get him in electives. The assistant principal (seems to have the attitude total isolation is OK) waited to put him in one last fall--not one he wanted and not one with classmates, but older kids. When the new semester was to start I pushed hard and ds is in 2 electives (music and home ec). When I picked him yesterday one of his sp ed teachers said "you were right, he needed to be with seventh graders. He's really a part of those classes. He participates, does the work and all the kids like him. Most of the kids already knew him." 

• Like 10