Menu

Uncle Tom's Cabin movie: how disturbing is it?

I have a sensitive 14 year old, and this book was on the reading list of Omnibus III, but I've decided on the movie instead. We are not American, so I'm not familiar with UTC at all, but would like to include it if only for the Christian message it apparently has. Before going ahead, how distressing is it for a sensitive teen? He has HFA. Is it worth it? Thank you 😊

I've never seen the movie, but I read the book and found it very disturbing. In fact, I just couldn't bring myself to finish it knowing that the main character gets killed. I would definitely recommend that you read the book and watch the movie yourself before having your teen read/watch it. 

I'd prescreen it.

I asked my kid who recently had to watch it for an assignment (it's on YouTube BTW), and they said that the deaths were more upsetting in the book than the movie, and that the brutal scenes seemed shorter in the movie. They also said that the Christian message is barely touched on in the movie.

Still a rough story IMHO.  I remember reading it as an adult and bawling my eyes out!