Menu

AAS list of rules?

chelsmm

We have completed 1-3 over the past two years, and I was hoping to post the rules so my kids can refer to them when they forget.  I gave away book 1, so I can't go through it.  Before I look through 2 and 3, I thought I'd check here to see if anyone knew of a list of the rules.

We have the FLOSS rule and the when to use CK vs K rule already. 

Thanks  :)

Chelsea

I have a list of the rules.

Some of them are framed as questions, with suggested answers.  This is how I often review spelling with the kids.  Or at least, it was.  We are in level four and I don't use the list of rules quite as much.  

Level 1:

·         The vowels are: a, e, i, o, u, and sometimes y

·         A consonant is: any letter that’s not a vowel.

·         A syllable is: each part of a word that has a vowel sound.

·         The long sound of a vowel is: when it says its own name (give examples)

·         Give examples of short vowel sounds

·         Every syllable has at least one: vowel

·         Names start with a: capital letter

·         C says /s/ when it is followed by: e, i, or y

·         When should we use k to spell the /k/ sound at the BEGINNING of a word: Only when the next letter is e, i, or y.  Why?  Because those letters tell c to say /s/. 

·         When do we double f, l, s or z: At the end of a word with one syllable and one vowel.

·         What are the ways we can spell the /k/ sound at the END of a word? k or ck.  How do we know which one to use?  We use ck only if there is a short vowel right in front of it.

·         A compound word is: one word made up of two smaller words.

·         Plural means: more than one

·         We use es to make a word plural: when the plural word has an extra syllable.

·         What is an open syllable and what does the vowel say in an open syllable?  A syllable that ends with a vowel, which usually says its long sound.

·         What is a closed syllable and what does the vowel say?  A syllable that ends with a consonant and has a short vowel sound.

Level 2:

·         Explain why we spell try with a y at the end.  English words don’t end in i.  We use y to spell long i at the end of words.

·         When is y a vowel? When it says i like in gym.  When it says i like in fly.  When it says e like in happy.  When is y a consonant?  When it says y like in yellow.

·         English words don’t end in: i, j, u or v.

·         What is a multisyllable word? Give examples.  A word with more than one syllable.

·         Syllable Division Rule 1: Divide a compound word between its two smaller words.

·         Syllable division rule 2: Locate the vowels.  If there are two consonants between them, divide between the consonants.

·         Syllable Division Rule 3: Locate the vowels.  If there is only one consonant between them, the consonant usually goes with the second syllable.

·         Tell me the six syllable types: open, closed, VCE, R-controlled, c+le, vowel team.  Describe each.

·         How to we make a VCE word plural?  Just add s.

·         Find Gold rule. Give me an example.  The letters i and o can say their long sound when they are followed by two consonants. 

·         What are the ways we can spell the /oy/ sound?  oy, oi. 

·         Which letters usually make g say its soft sound? e, i, y. 

·         How do we spell the /j/ sound at the end of a word?  We use a g with an e.

·         How do we spell the u or v sound at the end of a word?  We must add a silent e.

Level 3:

·         What are four ways to spell long a?  a in an open syllable.  a-e, ai, ay.

·         What are the five jobs of silent e?

o   Make a vowel long, like in vce syllables. (rake)

o   Make c and g soft. (fence, large)

o   Keeps u and v from being the last letter of a word. (clue, give)

o   Adds a vowel to a c+le syllable (maple)

o   Handyman e…

·         How do we divide a c+le syllable?  Count back three letters and divide.  (ma*ple, mar*ble)

·         What are homophones?  Words that sound alike but are usually spelled different and have different meanings.

·         Why do we double the consonant in little?  To protect the first syllable’s short vowel.

·         How do we spell the long e sound at the end of multisyllable words like happy?  We use a y.

·         Why do we double the consonant in multisyllable words that end with the long e sound?  To protect the first syllable’s short vowel sound.  (happy)

·         Tell me four ways to spell long o.  o in an open syllable.  o-e, oa, ow.

·         What is a suffix?  A word ending that can take one word and make it slightly different, such as:  â€“ed, ful, ness

·         What are consonant suffixes?  Suffixes that begin with a consonant, such as –ful, -ly,      -ness

·         What are vowel suffixes? Suffixes that begin with a vowel, such as –ed, -est, -er

·         Why is the p doubled in tapping?  Because vowel suffixes like to steal the consonant before them, and we need to protect the short vowel sound.

·         Why is the consonant not doubled in the word darker?  Because even when the vowel suffix steals the k, the r is still there to protect the short vowel.

·         Explain the 1-1-1 rule.  To determine whether or not we double a consonant, ask three questions.  How many syllables does the word have?  How many vowels are there?  How many consonants at the end?  If the answer to all three is 1, we double the consonant before adding a vowel suffix.

·         Do we ever double x when adding a vowel suffix?  No because x sounds like two sounds.

·         What are the six question words? Who, what, where, when, why, how.

·         List four ways of spelling the /k/ sound.  c, k, ck, ch

·         List five ways of spelling long e.  e, e-e, ee, ea, y

·         Syllable Division Rule 4: To divide a c+le word, count back three letters and then divide.

·         Past tense means: it happened in the past (yesterday, last week, last year, a few minutes ago)

·         Identify the base word of a given past tense word.

·         How do you make a word past tense?  First spell the base word, then check to see if 1-1-1 applies and add –ed. 

·         How do we add a vowel suffix to a word that ends with an e?  Drop the e and then add the suffix.  Drive=driving.  Name=named.

·         What are three ways to spell the /er/ sound?  er, ur, ir

·         What are four ways to spell the long i sound?  i in an open syllable.  i-e, y, igh

·         What happens when we add a vowel suffix to a word that ends with y?

o   If the y is a single vowel, we change it to i and then we add the vowel suffix. Cry=cried

o   If the y is a single vowel, we do NOT change it to an i if we are adding the suffix –ing. Cry=crying

o   If the y is part of a vowel team, we do NOT change the y to an i when adding the vowel suffix.  Stay=stayed. 

• Like 10

The thing is, there are actually more rules than what's on the cards. For example, -ng rarely comes after e, and -nk never comes after e (from Level 1).

Yep, totally true.  I tried to capture all of the "rules"/points of each lesson in my list.  I may have skipped some that I didn't think were necessary for review, but most of them should be there.  

• Like 1

Thank you so much!  This is exactly what I was looking for.  I know most of the rules from doing it with the kids, but it's helpful to be able to say, "hey, that word doesn't look right- is there a rule you are forgetting" and have them look at their list of rules.

Believe me...its much better than keeping all of the rule cards...lol. I don't even use the cards anymore. Or the tiles for that matter.

I can see how it is easier, but my kids like their boxes and like doing the card review. They like seeing how many they have in the mastered section and the cards seem lessintimidating that a big list somehow. Ds does his while doing jumping jacks or plank-ing or some other exercise. ;)