Menu

Talk to me about The Living Page

I think it's worth every penny. I really found myself inspired after reading it and I underlined and wrote notes all over the place. The Living Page really gets into why "keeping" is important and shows clearly how effective and formative it can be. Highly, highly recommend!

• Like 4

If you are using a Chatlotte Mason method, or notebooking/keeping, or are interested in either Charlotte Mason or keeping then yes, 100 times yes. I honestly don't think I full "got" the notebooking in CM until The Living Page. I mean, I understood theoretically that it was there, but not HOW to ACTUALLY do it. And that's after reading all 6 Mason works, The Charlotte Mason Companion, ect and so on.

• Like 5

If you are using a Chatlotte Mason method, or notebooking/keeping, or are interested in either Charlotte Mason or keeping then yes, 100 times yes. I honestly don't think I full "got" the notebooking in CM until The Living Page. I mean, I understood theoretically that it was there, but not HOW to ACTUALLY do it. And that's after reading all 6 Mason works, The Charlotte Mason Companion, ect and so on.

This.  

• Like 1

I was just skimming the book yesterday. I bought it when a friend begged me to add a book to their order so they could get free shipping. I had to think quick, had it on my wishlist, and just handed them the cash for it. When it came in I was too busy to read it and tossed it aside. I'm too busy to read it right now, too.

It looks like a good book, but is covering questions I don't have right now. I have other more pressing questions right NOW.

I think one day, when the time is right, it will be a very good read.

Would this book be sufficient if you've never read any of the CM works or other modern books on notebook keeping? Could this work as your only guide from starting in the younger years to developing more in depth notebooks for the later years? Does it include how to set up specific notebooks like the Book of Centuries and a nature journal?

Would this book be sufficient if you've never read any of the CM works or other modern books on notebook keeping?

Yes and no. If you arent familiar with CM terminology, I could see the book being confusing. And if you aren't interested in Mason at all, I could see it being long winded for your purpose. It's not just a book about notebooking, it's a book about the role notebooking plays in a CM education.

Does it include how to set up specific notebooks like the Book of Centuries and a nature journal?

Yes. It details pretty clearly (IMO) exactly how to set up various kinds of notebooks; nature book, commonplace, book of centuries, ect.

Could this work as your only guide from starting in the younger years to developing more in depth notebooks for the later years?

Hmm, I'm not sure. What do you mean by younger years? Mason didn't have kids doing much notebooking in the early grades. I'm not remembering specific ages, but I think they don't really begin much outside a nature journal until 9 or so. It gives ideas for anxious-to-begin mothers like starting a family nature journal, practicing your own common-placing, or doing a centuries chart instead of a book...but it's definitely encouraging not to begin too young.

• Like 1

I have no opinion, I just want to complain that I want to  buy it but it's not a Kindle book. And I am trying to keep my real books to a minimum after moving this past summer and having to get rid of a zillion books.

If it helps, I own it and tried yet again to read it today, and decided I didn't want to. It sure felt stuffy for a book with "living" in the title. :)

CM reminds me of my British grandmother. She said she was going to make a lady out of me or die trying. She died trying.

• Like 3

I know this is an over the top reaction, but I felt like I was suffocating as I read it, almost out of breath. I felt like I was taking a step backwards instead of forwards. I felt like I was getting sucked back to the way it was before my big purge.

As I was reading the book, I didn't just feel like I wasn't DOING enough, I felt like *I* wasn't enough. And then I realized I could just put the book down and feel better. So I did.

I hate it when books/things/people cause me to feel like that.

I'm disappointed too that it isn't a kindle format. And it's kind of expensive. All well.

• Like 2

I'm using AO and love the CM approach. For this reason I also really enjoyed reading the book, but I'd never, ever recommend this book to anyone not using the CM approach. There are other resources out there for information on notebooking and keeping a timeline. This book is very specific for CM. Just my opinion :p

• Like 2

There was a wonderful book discussion about it over on Wildflowers and Marbles but the author asked that the discussion be taken down. I found that to be so nuttso that it kind of turned me off to the book. I even considered returning it but I think I still have it somewhere.

• Like 1

There was a wonderful book discussion about it over on Wildflowers and Marbles but the author asked that the discussion be taken down. I found that to be so nuttso that it kind of turned me off to the book. I even considered returning it but I think I still have it somewhere.

I know!  That was weird.  I wonder why she did that.

I get really turned off of books that authors prevent people from talking about. That happened with a writing curriculum I bought. I stopped using it.

Sadly, I've learned that when we purchase books we aren't really buying the paper, but just permission to see the words or I don't know what. But most consumers really believe that the paper, the right to talk about it, and the right to do with it what we want is ours. It's upsetting to find out that isn't true.

I get really turned off of books that authors prevent people from talking about. That happened with a writing curriculum I bought. I stopped using it.

Sadly, I've learned that when we purchase books we aren't really buying the paper, but just permission to see the words or I don't know what. But most consumers really believe that the paper, the right to talk about it, and the right to do with it what we want is ours. It's upsetting to find out that isn't true.

According to whom?

According to whom?

I don't remember.

Some not very nice authors on a writing forum complaining, and some nicer authors saying it was true, but that they didn't expect their readers to honor the full extent of the law.

And stuff I've read over the years.

As I was reading the book, I didn't just feel like I wasn't DOING enough, I felt like *I* wasn't enough. And then I realized I could just put the book down and feel better. So I did.

I pretty much do that with anything that makes me feel inadequate. I have stopped reading lots of homeschooling magazines, articles, books, and blogs, (and even A LOT of threads on this board!)  because of how they made me feel. I'll be grateful if my 4 youngest kids learn AMERICAN ENGLISH never mind Latin!

• Like 1

I don't remember.

Some not very nice authors on a writing forum complaining, and some nicer authors saying it was true, but that they didn't expect their readers to honor the full extent of the law.

And stuff I've read over the years.

HMPH! If I buy it, I can talk abut it!

What was the conversation about? That's really weird. And creeps me out. Does she have something to hide? If so, why write a book??? That's stupid.

HMPH! If I buy it, I can talk abut it!

What was the conversation about? That's really weird. And creeps me out. Does she have something to hide? If so, why write a book??? That's stupid.

If we talk about it here, then that could get it taken down here? I'm curious but don't want to bring trouble to our moderators.

If we talk about it here, then that could get it taken down here? I'm curious but don't want to bring trouble to our moderators.

Beats me! I'm still trying to figure out why an author would not want her book talked about. Would't discussion bring more people to want to BUY it? Isn't that a benefit of writing a book??

I think the reason the author asked that the discussion stop was because it was infringeing on copywright.  The discussion was such that I didn't need to buy the book,  I had to just read the blog posts and follow the discussion--too much information was given in the blog posts.    The book was discussed on AO and the author was fully aware of those discussions so it wasn't that she was against having people talk about her book.

I love The Living Page, it was very inspirational to me.  One thing to keep in mind as with all homeschool method/philosophy books  is that you don't have to do everything in the book.  Take what resonates with you,  what you think you can physically handle and start with that.  If that works out well then add on with something else that interests you.  If you can only handle that little bit then, that's okay,  The author is not saying that you have to do everything in the book.  Just take what you think you can handle and leave the rest.

I don't think this would be a good starter book for someone who is not well versed in CM.  I think it would be better to learn more about the 20 principles and then work your way towards the keeping aspect of CM.   Anyway, most of these notebooks are for older children.

• Like 1

I'm with Prairie Girl,

I was reading the Wildflowers and Marbles posts and while I did enjoy it, and I was sad it was taken down, the discussion included enough of the book that it risked making actually BUYING the book unnecessary.  I've seen these kinds of "reviews" or "book discussions" go both ways- making me want to buy the book and making me think I no longer had to buy or read it, because I just got everything it offered.  It seems to me when its the first its always the authors blog, and when its the other its a 3rd party.  It can be a fine line to cross, but once its crossed it's seriously unfair to the author of the book.  

I've seen several conversations, here, at AO, and on Facebook about The Living Page that the author has been a part of, or obviously seen, and none of the others were taken down.  So I think it's fair to say that the author doesn't mind it being discussed, she just doesn't want someone to paraphrase everything she's worked so hard to write and published into their blog.  Which seems fair, IMO.