Menu

Dr. Hive: Skin Tag Help

earthyfamily

I have a skin tag on my leg that I'm anxious to remove.  I can't go to a dr. to have it removed though.  Are there any tried and true remedies you guys can recommend?  I read about vitamin E oil and a bandage...that seems like a pretty gentle way to handle it, but I don't know if that will actually work. Thanks!!

You can tie a string around it and tie it off.  It'll take a little time for it to fall off, but not very long.

ETA: When I say not very long, I mean it'll take more than a day, but not longer than a week (in my experience from doing this on others).

• Like 1

I have not done this on myself, but doing it to others who can't bear to do it to themselves have each said it did not hurt them.  There should be minor pain sensors in a skin tag, if any, but I suppose it may depend on location, too.  Maybe try to pinch it with your nails at the spot you'd be cutting off circulation.  That might give you an idea as to whether or not it would hurt in that spot.  :)

• Like 1

I had one in each armpit. I tried the string method which worked for one side but I couldn't get it tight enough on the other side. Finally, I just used a new, sterilized nail clipper and cut it off. It only hurt for a second. 

edit for spelling

• Like 3

I had one in each armpit. I tried the string method which worked for one side but I couldn't get it tight enough on the other side. Finally, I just used a new, sterilized nail clipper and cut it off. It only hurt for a second. 

edit for spelling

First how did you sterilize the nail clipper and second, did it bleed a lot?

First how did you sterilize the nail clipper and second, did it bleed a lot?

I just used a new, freshly opened on and soaked it in alcohol for a minute. It bled a bit but was fine in a minute. I spent more time stressing over removing it than I needed to. It only took a second and it didn't hurt much at all.

I am a big weenie and there is just no way I could cut anything other than my nails and hair. Anyway, I have had a few, one on my upper belly, others under my arms, that I have successfully removed just by smothering them with a bandaid for about 4-7 days. I used a circular one so it was sealed all the way around and didn't even remove them for baths. When you take the bandaid off, the tag should come off with it. I may have put some coconut oil or tea tree oil or something on one of them, but not the others.

• Like 2

I am a big weenie and there is just no way I could cut anything other than my nails and hair. Anyway, I have had a few, one on my upper belly, others under my arms, that I have successfully removed just by smothering them with a bandaid for about 4-7 days. I used a circular one so it was sealed all the way around and didn't even remove them for baths. When you take the bandaid off, the tag should come off with it. I may have put some coconut oil or tea tree oil or something on one of them, but not the others.

I'm definitely all for the more gentle approach here.  Cutting seems so scary, so last resort hehe.

• Like 1

I cut one off years ago. I still remember the pain. Not doing that again. I have a high pain tolerance, too. I think that one had a wider base so, yeah. Ouch.