Menu

Has anyone moved to TX for more freedom?

stm4him

Ooooo, I think I may have figured out the freedom that could open a can of worms on this forum....  OP, does it have to do with making your family's health choices without too much government interference?

ETA: and I realize this post may just get ignored ;)

Also, I can't believe how buggy Texas sounds.  I could never deal with that. :scared:

You've never lived in FL, no?

FL's bugs make TX bugs look like tiddlywinks.

• Like 4

Having spent two years in North Dakota, near the Minnesota border, I have to agree with OneStep. While mosquitoes in Texas are bothersome, it is NOTHING like the mosquitoes up there! The difference is that the season is shorter up there, while down here it lingers.

We have those mosquitos here, too.  The ones where you look up and say "oh! Birds! No wait... just mosquitos again."  I wouldn't trade those for going back to FL bugs, though.

And, as you said, the mosquito season is short.  The other season is the 9 months of winter.

• Like 1

There are wolf spiders in Giddings, Texas. They like to carry all their babies on their backs. All 1000 of their babies. And in 6 months, twice a month, they would make their way into our apartment. So, if I'm doing math right, that's more than 12K spiders in my apartment. In our tiny 600sf apartment. 12K spiders. 12,000. Twelve-thousand. It's been 15 years, and I've still not recovered. 

Mosquitoes don't like me, but they love my 7yo. She gets plum sized knots on her. 

I could do without the flying roaches. But it's mostly spiders I can't deal with.

And now the Hill Country doesn't sound so great. I'm thinking downtown. 10 stories up.

• Like 1

Lots of awesome brisket nearby too (less than 15 minutes from the famous Salt Lick BBQ in Driftwood, TX).

My favourite pregnancy wear was an enormous t-shirt from the Salt Lick.  When we ate there they were out of small sizes, but we bought one anyway and it came in handy.

• Like 3

Hmm, I don't like dry that much. I don't think. Maybe I'd need to see it. Makes me think of that feeling when you have that dry sandy dirt in your flip flops. 

Quick! Move RIGHT NOW!!!!!! It's been raining for the first time in ages and it's green around here!

The Hill Country is dry, but other parts of Central TX are wetter. The problem is that the state is in the middle of an historic drought - like it hasn't been this bad since the 1950's type drought. Look along the IH-35 corridor from Georgetown (find Austin & go one county north along IH-35 to Williamson County) south to San Antonio. Wimberley, Gruene (pronounced Green), and San Marcos are beautiful and are on rivers. Georgetown, though it's growing fast, is a nice town, too. Chelli's right, though, about footwear. The thorns and cockle burrs can be murder here.

It's very up and down and rocky dry more than sandy dry.  Think goats and sheep vs. cows for livestock.  The river areas in the Hill Country are really nice and clean (flow over rock) and popular. 

I personally am a gentle hills and wavy grass girl myself.

Stefanie

Ooh, where are the gentle hills and wavy grass?

You've never lived in FL, no?

FL's bugs make TX bugs look like tiddlywinks.

LoL, that made me feel better. Good to know I've already braved worse here in Florida! Aside from the Palmetto bugs and such, we have random weird ones. Like this one, that tried to get into my bag at the park last week. 

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpt1/v/t35.0-12/11063978_10152876583848666_149237152_o.jpg?oh=0d3f93cc22f974902fc86df1216262fe&oe=551132B5&__gda__=1427188830_a7b314dd4b353d838256781ab9e7508a

Has anyone figured out this extra freedom we have? 'Cause I'm dying to start exercising it.

Still have no idea.  OP says it isn't pot and it isn't guns.  I did post earlier that a website lists a few more freedoms.  I give up.  

Quick! Move RIGHT NOW!!!!!! It's been raining for the first time in ages and it's green around here!

The Hill Country is dry, but other parts of Central TX are wetter. The problem is that the state is in the middle of an historic drought - like it hasn't been this bad since the 1950's type drought. Look along the IH-35 corridor from Georgetown (find Austin & go one county north along IH-35 to Williamson County) south to San Antonio. Wimberley, Gruene (pronounced Green), and San Marcos are beautiful and are on rivers. Georgetown, though it's growing fast, is a nice town, too. Chelli's right, though, about footwear. The thorns and cockle burrs can be murder here.

Ok, I googled images of Georgeowna nd San Marcos, and Gruene and those look more like what I would like. Having grown up in areas with water all around I get a bit ansty in really dry areas. 

• Like 1

My nearby community has a river (well looking more like a river now we have had some rain..) and a beautiful cypress tree lined creek (google Blue Hole Wimberley, TX).

I wish I could box up the sunrise this morning-- all of my red oaks and elms are budding out and there are a million different bird calls going on--- clear blue sky 56 degrees.... nice!

The Hill Country is NOT dry-- rocky yes, but not dry like desert dry.  We have been in a multi-year drought--but the rains this year have been good and our creeks will be great this summer!

San Marcos (home to Texas State Universiy and where my big girls live) and New Braunfels are not Hill Country-- they are on the edge-- anything west of I-35 in that area would be Hill Country...  New Braunfels is a larger city and I would live there over San Marcos any day.

We moved to Texas from Illinois-- it did take a while to get used to the trees not being so tall-- but we do have fall colors (mid to late November) and LOTS of spring wild flowers (March-April) and TONS of summer wild flowers (June-fall).

• Like 1

My nearby community has a river (well looking more like a river now we have had some rain..) and a beautiful cypress tree lined creek (google Blue Hole Wimberley, TX).

My boys floated down the river near Wimberley in inner tubes on a hot day.  Brilliant memories.

There are wolf spiders in Giddings, Texas. They like to carry all their babies on their backs. All 1000 of their babies. And in 6 months, twice a month, they would make their way into our apartment. So, if I'm doing math right, that's more than 12K spiders in my apartment. In our tiny 600sf apartment. 12K spiders. 12,000. Twelve-thousand. It's been 15 years, and I've still not recovered. 

Mosquitoes don't like me, but they love my 7yo. She gets plum sized knots on her. 

I could do without the flying roaches. But it's mostly spiders I can't deal with.

And now the Hill Country doesn't sound so great. I'm thinking downtown. 10 stories up.

We have a lot of wolf spiders here.  And scorpions.  But we are in the country.  I once captured a wolf spider carrying its babies on its back and took it to co op for show and tell.  Sadly, everyone recoiled in horror.  I also took a colorful snake once!  (non poisonous)  People didn't want to see that, either.

LoL, that made me feel better. Good to know I've already braved worse here in Florida! Aside from the Palmetto bugs and such, we have random weird ones. Like this one, that tried to get into my bag at the park last week. 

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpt1/v/t35.0-12/11063978_10152876583848666_149237152_o.jpg?oh=0d3f93cc22f974902fc86df1216262fe&oe=551132B5&__gda__=1427188830_a7b314dd4b353d838256781ab9e7508a

Assassin bug -- nasty bite from its rostrum (the piercing mouth part). Our neighbor was in the hospital last summer from these. They are invasive, along with Brown Marmorated Stink Bugs.

They also change over the course of the summer, so what they first look like is not how they end up. Here, they start off looking like little black ant-spiders with red spots, then they change to all black, then all brown, all the while growing larger and developing that nasty rostrum. I had never seen one in all my life until last summer (2014).

I'd steer clear of them at every stage. HTH.

We have a lot of wolf spiders here.  And scorpions.  But we are in the country.  I once captured a wolf spider carrying its babies on its back and took it to co op for show and tell.  Sadly, everyone recoiled in horror.  I also took a colorful snake once!  (non poisonous)  People didn't want to see that, either.

We really are kindred spirits, LOL. At our last house, I captured a wolf spider from my laundry pile and kept her in a Critter Keeper for a few days. It was fascinating, and I learned how to care for a spider. You have to put a little piece of towel in a bottle cap and wet it, so the spider doesn't drown in a water dish. We caught flies outside and fed them to her. Small crickets, too. It was amazing, to watch her pounce, puncture, wrap, and slurp. ;) But then she started to make a hazy web across the opening of her little "den" (rocks and bark, arranged like a cave), and we noticed something on her back.... Yup, babies. She went outside, in a wood pile in the woods.

The whole time, my husband and mother thought I was crazy, but we enjoyed our time with Charlotte.

Our favorite find so far was a cecropia moth caterpillar. Very destructive, but quite amazing.

• Like 2

We really are kindred spirits, LOL. At our last house, I captured a wolf spider from my laundry pile and kept her in a Critter Keeper for a few days. It was fascinating, and I learned how to care for a spider. You have to put a little piece of towel in a bottle cap and wet it, so the spider doesn't drown in a water dish. We caught flies outside and fed them to her. Small crickets, too. It was amazing, to watch her pounce, puncture, wrap, and slurp. ;) But then she started to make a hazy web across the opening of her little "den" (rocks and bark, arranged like a cave), and we noticed something on her back.... Yup, babies. She went outside, in a wood pile in the woods.

The whole time, my husband and mother thought I was crazy, but we enjoyed our time with Charlotte.

Our favorite find so far was a cecropia moth caterpillar. Very destructive, but quite amazing.

Oh yay!  Another fun person.  :D

And then there was this time when I caught a scorpion, put it in a Mason jar and took it to my friend who was the director of the Humane Society at the time.  She was horrified, too!  So she gave it to a vet's office because it had an employee who liked scorpions.  I will save you the next scorpion I find and mail it to you.  ;)

• Like 1

Assassin bug -- nasty bite from its rostrum (the piercing mouth part). Our neighbor was in the hospital last summer from these. They are invasive, along with Brown Marmorated Stink Bugs.

They also change over the course of the summer, so what they first look like is not how they end up. Here, they start off looking like little black ant-spiders with red spots, then they change to all black, then all brown, all the while growing larger and developing that nasty rostrum. I had never seen one in all my life until last summer (2014).

I'd steer clear of them at every stage. HTH.

Where were you last week when I had to get him off my bag! I figured he was harmless, and got a stick to move him off my bag. You can imagine my surprise when he FLEW towards me! But he left me alone, thankfully, after that. 

• Like 1

Parts of Irving are high dollar and parts are old and run down.  That is the case for many areas of the DFW metroplex.  You really have to come here and drive around to see for yourself how the neighborhood feels.  I am partial to suburbs, and I don't love Irving.  :D  (too close to Dallas)

You are my hero.  I had a pet wolf spider once.  She had babies.  I TRIED to take her to school with me to show my class.  The dog tripped me accidentally, the spider landed on the dog, the babies scattered everywhere and panic and yelling ensued.  I was frantically trying to calm the dog, calm my mother and save my spider and her babies while also endeavoring to get to school on time (and yes this was Texas, the first time I lived here).  Sadly, Mom made me put her and whatever babies I could salvage outside in our backyard.  I was depressed for days.

• Like 1

You are my hero.  I had a pet wolf spider once.  She had babies.  I TRIED to take her to school with me to show my class.  The dog tripped me accidentally, the spider landed on the dog, the babies scattered everywhere and panic and yelling ensued.  I was frantically trying to calm the dog, calm my mother and save my spider and her babies while also endeavoring to get to school on time (and yes this was Texas, the first time I lived here).  Sadly, Mom made me put her and whatever babies I could salvage outside in our backyard.  I was depressed for days.

That is a sad, sad story.  When I initially found our spider, I thought it was a fat, hairy spider before I realized that the fat hairs were babies.  :)

<runs outside looking for OneStep another pet wolf spider with babies on its back>

• Like 1

We have wolf spiders in Florida too, they liked our backyard a lot growing up. But I never saw one with babies, very cool!

We also have a lot of brown widow spiders. When I was cleaning out the garage before selling my house I finally bothered to google what the egg sacs I kept finding in there were. Yeah, brown widows. I think I'm glad I didn't know while I was actually living there. 

• Like 2

You are the second person in a few weeks to post here about moving cross-country to a place you've never lived in before, and hoping to have their spouse sell real estate in their new state.  Forgive me, but this just strikes me as so odd.  Will his current real estate license transfer, or will he need to retake his licensing tests, and re-study Texas specific law? When I'm buying a house, I want my real estate agent to be an expert about the local area, more so than I am.  Also, isn't the real estate business primarily about working your connections?  Isn't moving going to be just like starting over from scratch?  If oil prices are going to stay low for the next year or so, trying to start a real estate business in Texas may be very, very difficult, especially in the greater Houston area.

I agree with this. If your dh is doing well currently the why risk it in moving to another state especially with a job like real estate which strongly benefits from networking and a strong client base and an intimate knowledge of real estate in a specific area. It seems a huge gamble to try to re-establish yourself as a realtor in another state just for so-called freedoms especially to a state like Texas that has little in the way of a social safety net should your dh's endeavor does not work as planned.

I have lived in Texas most of my life and currently live in Austin. I have no plans to ever leave this state and love being a proud Texan. That being said, be careful when referring to freedoms. Homeschooling freedom is great. If you want the freedom to carry weapons or openly or kill someone who invades your home, easily done.  If you want the freedom to drive 80+ mph on many roads, we have you covered.  If you want the freedom to marry whomever you choose or freedom to be able to decide what happens with your own body without major roadblocks, however...look somewhere else.

• Like 4

You have probably already researched it, but I wanted to mention my state of Oklahoma.  Personal freedoms are typically valued and respected.  Sometimes the crazy "out there" lawmakers make the news, but in general we have a very balanced view of personal freedom vs. governmental regulation. (Oh, and I'm a native Texan lol).  And Oklahoma isn't as hot as Texas :)  Check out "green country" (NE Oklahoma)

• Like 1

Holy crap, I've seen these before and had no idea they would bite! It's not like I would try to pet one or catch one anyway, but still, good to know. 

• Like 1

You have probably already researched it, but I wanted to mention my state of Oklahoma. Personal freedoms are typically valued and respected. Sometimes the crazy "out there" lawmakers make the news, but in general we have a very balanced view of personal freedom vs. governmental regulation. (Oh, and I'm a native Texan lol). And Oklahoma isn't as hot as Texas :) Check out "green country" (NE Oklahoma)

I have a friend in Tulsa who keeps trying to talk us into moving down with her :D

Where were you last week when I had to get him off my bag! I figured he was harmless, and got a stick to move him off my bag. You can imagine my surprise when he FLEW towards me! But he left me alone, thankfully, after that. 

Yes, they fly. They were the bane of my existence last summer, and I am not looking forward to seeing them again. It might be awhile for us, though. We had 5-6 inches of snow on Friday, and we're supposed to get more this week. Alas, I am eager for spring, but a prolonged winter might have some advantages. ;)

This is the NUMBER ONE reason why I will never live in Texas, in spite of its many, but unspecified, freedoms:

http://www.whatsthatbug.com/2008/05/07/giant-red-headed-centipede-from-texas/

Show me all the articles you like advising calm, reflective evasive action, I would still freak out. You can put them in your garden to control pests, if you like, but.... um....

Yes, they fly. They were the bane of my existence last summer, and I am not looking forward to seeing them again. It might be awhile for us, though. We had 5-6 inches of snow on Friday, and we're supposed to get more this week. Alas, I am eager for spring, but a prolonged winter might have some advantages. ;)

This is the NUMBER ONE reason why I will never live in Texas, in spite of its many, but unspecified, freedoms:

Show me all the articles you like advising calm, reflective evasive action, I would still freak out. You can put them in your garden to control pests, if you like, but.... um....

LOL, I'm from Florida. I'm not skeered! http://www.miamidade.gov/fire/library/dangerous_critters_English.pdf

• Like 1

Ooh, where are the gentle hills and wavy grass?

Look along the Brazos River then. Mixed open pasture with oak woods. And the Bluebonnets are to die for. I can't believe we've gone 4 pages and forgotten to mention the bluebonnets.

Stefanie

I need to know the freedom of which you speak. I spent most of the day yesterday looking at Irving, TX and the surrounding areas. There's a job opening there that is perfect for dh. So that whole area is kind of snobbish? I was a bit surprised to see so many million dollar homes so close to the airport. They must be out of the flight path. I've eyed Austin many times, we have friends that moved there, but DFW are is completely new territory. 

From what I have experienced, flight paths get ignored. When we are outside and look at the large, loud jets overhead, we are the weird ones. Everyone else ignores them.

I may be wrong on this though.

That is one of the variations of the Giant Water Bug, not an Assassin bug, although they do bite.  They can get a lot bigger than that one.

• Like 1

That is one of the variations of the Giant Water Bug, not an Assassin bug, although they do bite.  They can get a lot bigger than that one.

I think it's actually a leaf footed stink bug. Whatever it was, I did not want it in my bag. 

That was an especially buggy park too. I kept having ants fall on me from the tree above. 

• Like 1

I think it's actually a leaf footed stink bug. Whatever it was, I did not want it in my bag. 

That was an especially buggy park too. I kept having ants fall on me from the tree above. 

I thought that thing on your bag looked like a stink bug.  I've never seen one so big, though.   :scared:

Aww, that was just a baby centipede. They can get to be close to a foot long.

They used to come into our house via the chimney, until I bought a new chimney cap with the smallest holes available...I think 3/8", which only the baby centipedes can fit through (the adults are easily an inch wide). It was pretty freaky the few times we encountered the centipedes in our house - if you startle them, they will rear up on their back legs and wave their front legs at you before charging. :scared:

They are the number one reason my sister won't move here, lol.

• Like 2

No, it was a Wheel Bug, or a type of Assassin Bug. They go through incomplete metamorphosis, in several stages.

They hatch out of egg cases that look like this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wheel_bug#/media/File:Wheel_bug_nymph.jpg

As young nymphs, they look like this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wheel_bug#/media/File:Wheel_Bug_Nymphs_and_Eggs_on_Twig.jpeg

Later, they look like this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wheel_bug#/media/File:Wheel_Bug_Arilus_cristatus_Nymph_2053px.jpg

Then this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wheel_bug#/media/File:Wheel-bug-nymph.jpg

As the summer continues, they look like this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wheel_bug#/media/File:Wheel_bug_back.JPG

At that point, you can see why they are called Wheel Bugs. We closely observed these lovely predators at every stage of their metamorphosis. It was interesting, but I do not want them in my house. Mostly, they stayed outside, but some came in on the laundry. We learned to shake the laundry really well when we took it off the line. HTH.

I will say that I have never seen a giant redheaded centipede so they must not be too terribly common.

They aren't common; when I lived in town I never saw a single centipede or scorpion. It wasn't until I moved out of town that I started seeing them. The Terminix man is my bff :001_wub:

I also never saw any snakes when I lived in town.

:leaving:

• Like 1

We see fewer bugs in TX than we did in MD and VA.

We didn't move here for freedom (homeschooling or otherwise).  I was never bugged by MD's or VA's laws.  It's nice to not have to do anything, sure, but it just wasn't a big deal to comply.

The culture here is very, very different.  There was a bit of a culture shock.  It's better in many, many ways.  There are drawbacks, too.  We live in a city (San Antonio).  I'd probably see more drawbacks in more rural areas of TX.

What we did move here for was 1.) I love Texas and have always felt an intense draw to this state, and particularly San Antonio, even as a kid, 2.) the weather - I like it hot and it's way less humid here than on the east coast, 3.) my husband's job was sending him to TX at least a week or two a month so we get to spend more time together as a family here, 4.) the cost of living is WAY lower - it's incredible how cheap the groceries are comparatively, and 5.) we could get a house exactly where we wanted it for about a third of the cost compared to a similar sized one in MD or Northern VA.

I wouldn't move here solely for perceived freedoms.

I already live in a state with awesome homeschooling laws, so Texas wouldn't attract me on that front. Dh wants to live there because of the warmer weather. He also liked the fact that he could be on an outdoor gun range smoking and drinking coffee while shooting, but he is ok with our more restrictive gun laws in NJ. I don't smoke or shoot, and I hate hot weather, but there is a program that could be beneficial to my son which at the moment is only in Texas. That and a possible business opportunity may have us ending up there. I will insist upon central air. :D

ETA: I really wish I didn't go back and read all the bug posts. Now my skin feels crawly. :ohmy:

• Like 1

I think Blue Bell is crap! There, I said it.

I will say the thing I miss most about Texas is the ice cream. It wasn't Blue Bell, though. Braum's!!! I really miss having dinner there with my grandparents and following it up with a peppermint ice cream cone.

• Like 1