Menu

Good dads

Zydruna

The My kids.. thread reminded me of a time that dh allowed dd to write out her Latin vocabulary words on his torso (with washable markers!) because she was really not feeling like doing Latin that day and doing it that way made it fun.

He has also allowed her to adorn him with various pieces of jewelry and hair accessories and then actually gone out in public with her while wearing them without even batting an eye.  :coolgleamA:

What sorts of things have the father of your dc done to put them in the Good Dad Club?

• Like 6

My dh "reads" them stories with different words. For example, "Huckleberry Finn" becomes "Chuckleberrie's Chin" and the whole book is read with a different, and hilarious storyline. It has us all in stitches. Though I do tell him he has to stop picking the classics or their standardized test scores are going to be dismal, lol.

• Like 6

DH is a very hands-on, fantastic dad, but your story about the markers brings this one to mind: He frequently stretches out in the floor, shirtless, and allows the kids to cover him in sparkly stickers and temporary tattoos.

Also, he ALWAYS gets up at night when the kids need something. Always. From the beginning. I finally said if he was going to get up anyway, I'd just stay in bed! :001_tt1:

• Like 4

When I have gone out of town, Dh makes chocolate chip pancakes for the kids for breakfast. He also like to read stories his way and it warms my heart to hear the kids laugh while he reads. He takes off snow days with the kids. He is never to be to tired after work to throw the football with the kids or play soccer with dd. There's many more but these are a few that come to mind.

• Like 3

When DD was little-little, I *hated* sitting on the floor playing pretend.  DH would sit and play with her for hours.  Her favorite was when he was a doggie she led around on a leash. He also let her "make him up" with makeup and hair pins.   He always made time to play with her, even after a full day of work. 

He also turned down a job offer that would have kept him away from home too much when DD was younger.  

It's funny because my dad laments that "he wasn't a better father", but then chides my husband for some of the choices he makes that are in the interest of our family.  He doesn't get that DH making those choices is what *makes* him a good father.  You don't get to just *want* to be a good father.  You have to actually make choices and sacrifices that back that up.

• Like 4

One of the things that I think makes my husband a great dad is that he's committed to being a great husband.  He supports me and encourages me, and sends me to be alone when I need it.  I may be selfish, but I LOVE this about him.  

He also spends time w/ our children in spite of his busy schedule, and when our children are tiny he always rocks them to sleep.  Love.

• Like 2

When DD was little-little, I *hated* sitting on the floor playing pretend. DH would sit and play with her for hours. Her favorite was when he was a doggie she led around on a leash. He also let her "make him up" with makeup and hair pins. He always made time to play with her, even after a full day of work.

He also turned down a job offer that would have kept him away from home too much when DD was younger.

It's funny because my dad laments that "he wasn't a better father", but then chides my husband for some of the choices he makes that are in the interest of our family. He doesn't get that DH making those choices is what *makes* him a good father. You don't get to just *want* to be a good father. You have to actually make choices and sacrifices that back that up.

Yes, my dh plays those boring imagination games when my dc are little too. So glad I get out of them!

At the moment ds5 plays a fishing game upon waking dh nearly every morning. They throw blankets from the bed pretending they are nets.... and ds is a fish.

When dd was a toddler she had a game called *Goo goo* and the object of it was carrying all her soft animals from one corner to the next!!!! Mind blowing boring.... but dh never complained. :-D

• Like 1

My dh "reads" them stories with different words. For example, "Huckleberry Finn" becomes "Chuckleberrie's Chin" and the whole book is read with a different, and hilarious storyline. It has us all in stitches. Though I do tell him he has to stop picking the classics or their standardized test scores are going to be dismal, lol.

My husband does that as well! Must be a dad thing :)

My dad messed up. He was an alcoholic and smoked weed. He left. When he had a good job he didn't send child support but spent it on gambling. He was depressed after his fiancee died and started doing worse drugs including opiates, cocaine, etc. He even quit a job because they were garnishing his wages. He forgot birthdays. He didn't call.

But what makes him a good dad was that he said he was sorry. He apologized. I know that doesn't make him dad of the year but he could have said, screw it, I'm done. But he swallowed his pride and he sends me money even now, just for the kids. A little bit.

My dad made me realize it's never, ever too late to have a better relationship with your kids.

He's not as good a dad as my mom is a mom, I guess, but he's the best dad in the world to me because he's my only dad, and he came back. So I'm going to say, I love my dad.

• Like 7

Oh gosh. I don't even know where to begin. He reads them long and elaborate bedtime stories. He hand draws them cartoons and charts. He keeps a running file of puns with my younger son and keeps my older son awash in geekdom. My younger son is sporty and my husband took to figuring out, for the first time in his wholly unsporty life, how to throw, kick and hit a ball in order to be able to assist with his t-ball team and not have that just be a mom thing.

Most importantly he is modeling fatherhood for them as an equal partner, hands on, central life activity. He did everything except nurse them and birth them. None of the helpless, hapless or detached fatherhood stuff for him.

It's also been heartwarming to see how, without hesitation, he has stood up and been basically a father/male role model figure for my niece and nephew and gently and firmly set limits with their dad. My nephew asked him to be his Cub Scout adult and he makes it a careful point to make sure he follows thoguh with them, which is something they have really needed.

• Like 3

He reads with them. He jokes with them. He plays games (even Pretty, Pretty Princess). He does all of the physical things I really can't do. He works hard and long hours so I can stay home. He cleans up their puke.

I could go on and on.

I really do have the best guy. :)

• Like 1

My dh is an amazing father.

He took up fencing just because his little girl wanted to fence. After two years, life got really busy and he let it slide while dd continued. When dd told him she misses him at fencing, he took it up again with gusto.

He plays with the kids every day, even now that they are sophisticated teenagers.

He coaches soccer and is involved in Scouts. He takes time off of work to be a supportive dad at camp-outs and whatever activities the kids are doing.

He makes me coffee or tea most mornings. He made my breakfast today.

He cheerfully washes far more than his fair share of dishes.

Best of all, he makes us all smile and relax.

• Like 2

Yesterday I called my dad because I was having computer problems. He helped me with the problem while making dinner for my sister and her family. He was making roast potatoes and grilling meat because that was what older niece wanted (It was snowing heavily). He also made them chocolate pudding. He picks the girls up from day care at least once a week so that they don't have to be there late when my sister and bil's schedules don't line up perfectly (they are a nurse and fire fighter respectively). If he drives me home when I've been visiting (I don't have a car) we always stop at the grocery store and he pays for my groceries. When I was little he learned to do french braids so he could braid my hair. He was my soccer coach for most of the years I played. He drove to games and to the stable when we started horse back riding. He is an excellent cook even though when he met my mom he couldn't even boil potatoes. And most importantly, he loves us and our mom.

• Like 2

One of the things that I think makes my husband a great dad is that he's committed to being a great husband.  He supports me and encourages me, and sends me to be alone when I need it.  I may be selfish, but I LOVE this about him.  

He also spends time w/ our children in spite of his busy schedule, and when our children are tiny he always rocks them to sleep.  Love.

It isn't selfish of you. A happy marriage makes for a happy home - and happy kids.

Like you, I think one of the best things my husband does for our children is being such a great husband. The children see him lift me up, encourage me; they see him being affectionate with me, joking with me, dancing with me. When they see him doing these things, they are reminded to do the same - when he thanks me for dinner, they follow suit; when he prayers before dinner, they do too. 

He spends time with the children; he plays board games with them, takes a vested interest in their studies and their individual interests (he's at comic con right now with DD13), reads to them, talks to them, shows them affection, and is firm with them. 

• Like 1