Menu

Career Guidance

I have a child who is clearly bent in a humanities direction. He has also verbalized that he has noticed that math and science careers seem to provide higher paying salaries and expressed concern about this.

What careers should a humanities driven student consider if they are also concerned about choosing a path with a high(er) level salary?

Our family has experienced the reality of this first hand as DH (his Dad) is a CPA and in 2013 experienced job loss. He was able to gain work again quickly which was a blessing- but we have experienced difficulties and benefits first hand and he is very aware of this. 

Does anyone have ideas or thoughts? 

Thank you!

• Like 1

I have a child who is clearly bent in a humanities direction. He has also verbalized that he has noticed that math and science careers seem to provide higher paying salaries and expressed concern about this.

What careers should a humanities driven student consider if they are also concerned about choosing a path with a high(er) level salary?

Our family has experienced the reality of this first hand as DH (his Dad) is a CPA and in 2013 experienced job loss. He was able to gain work again quickly which was a blessing- but we have experienced difficulties and benefits first hand and he is very aware of this. 

Does anyone have ideas or thoughts? 

Thank you!

What about nursing. It is not hard science at all. all the science courses I took were for non  science majors. I have never been without a job since the day I graduated from nursing school many years ago. Also, then one can go to nurse practitioner school and a higher salary.

• Like 1

I would do some searching of university websites and see if there are any combinations of programs that would open up more diverse job markets. Just doing a quick search of my local university, I noticed a Humanities and Biology, as well as a Humanities and Journalism double majors that sounded really interesting. There could be many more combinations that are available that would appeal to your son.

Definitely look into an integrated degree, that combines Humanities with a STEM area. The medical, science, and engineering fields are finding a need for those who have some general understanding of the field and who can WRITE. A number of big companies are finding they really need/want employees with this type of "cross training".

Another option; get an AAS (Associate's of Applied Science) degree -- sometimes though of as a diploma-to-work degree, since the bulk of the coursework is directly "hands-on". While jobs for most AAS degrees are at medium rather than higher levels of pay, they are very in-demand jobs, so if unable to find work in the Humanities, one can still be very employable through the "backup" AAS.