Menu

English Credit - Splitting Writing and Literature into 2 credits

I'm wondering if this is common. I've seen various online schools offering both literature and writing classes. I'm presuming they are each full credit courses.

For those of you using a separate writing program, either at home or outsourced, are you giving an additional credit for literature, including it in the history credit, or something else?

Thanks!

I don't think it's very common, or most colleges would list their composition and literature requirements separately, instead of just saying "4 credits in English."

I didn't split English into 2 credits. Instead, I titled each of my English courses "Literature and Composition." My kids took dual enrollment English courses in 11th and 12th.

• Like 1

I don't think it's very common, or most colleges would list their composition and literature requirements separately, instead of just saying "4 credits in English."

I didn't split English into 2 credits. Instead, I titled each of my English courses "Literature and Composition." My kids took dual enrollment English courses in 11th and 12th.

Thanks!

Did your children actually do 2 credits worth of work, but you only gave 1 credit, or do you feel they only did 1 credit's worth of work?

I have an English major dd who attended a high school with very tough English classes. She easily spent two-credits'-worth of time on her one-credit English classes during ninth, tenth, and eleventh grades (time spent in class plus time spent on lit/writing outside of class).

She had two credits of English during senior year, AP Lit and Creative and Critical Writing. Both had literature and writing assignments that added 8-10 hours per week each to the time spent in class.

• Like 1

I've split mine up. The English and composition part includes an online class focused on composition. There is some reading, but the focus is on vocabulary, some grammar and a lot of composition. Literature includes 6 studies (in depth discussions, working on understanding, use of figurative language, some essays, comparison-contrast, etc.), and another 12 books with discussions. There are also 4 MLA papers. Each course could stand alone, and the hours for each course merit its own credit.

• Like 2

I split mine. My dd does two full credits worth of study in English and Literature. I don't see it as any different than giving two science credits for doing two sciences in one year. You wouldn't roll the two science credits into one when two full programs were completed. A college only asks for four (or less) science credits. One wouldn't do the student the disservice of trying to combine two science credits in order to stay closer to the three to four credit requirement.

• Like 2

If you did a Great Books/History as Lit class, and an English credit focused on rhetoric/composition, could that be your history credit plus your English credit? So splitting it up, but including history with literature? So your English credit would be focused on rhetoric & writing,etc. and then you'd have a combined history/lit credit.

I ask because my child is way more fond of literature than history.  Great Books appeals much more than a separate history class.

• Like 2

We use a separate writing program, but I'm not giving a whole credit for it.

This year DS/10th has done separate writing, middle ages history with correlated Great Books literature, and a meaty homegrown literature elective.  This will be listed as English 10 (composition and middle ages literature), Middle Ages World History, and whatever we end up naming his literature elective, for a total of three credits.

eta: In the daily grind this looks more like .5 writing, .5 history, 1 literature that double dips in history and English, 1 elective literature.

• Like 2