Menu
ATTENTION: Forums search will not work until re-indexing is completed. Please follow these instructions for search

What's with the ads?

DawnM

If you were going to teach a high school essay and research writing class

What program/book would you choose?

I have taught high school English in the school setting, but have always been handed a curriculum and told to teach from the book.

I am being asked to teach a class to homeschoolers and am trying to find something easy to follow (for me and for them.)

Ideas?

Thanks,

Dawn

The New Oxford Guide to Writing by Thomas Kane, along with They Say, I Say by Graff and Birkenstein. Specifically for research, I'd probably go with Schaum's Quick Guide to Research Papers. These are all available used and reasonably priced on Amazon, which most homeschool families appreciate. 

• Like 2

Is the IEW Essay program like their other programs.  I am not a huge IEW fan.

Free stuff online, may not be a full curriculum but a lot of good ideas for lessons here.

Freshman Foundations: https://sites.google.com/a/trumbullhs.org/jodi-netting/freshman-foundations-lessons

Research Paper Writing Guide: https://sites.google.com/a/trumbullhs.org/jodi-netting/ths-student-writing-guide---2nd-edition

• Like 1

Elegant Essay does not have the checklist where you have to put the six sentence openers and six dress-ups/decorations, in every paragraph. It teaches your student how to write an essay. Now if you child decides to write four sentences in a row that start with "He", you may want have him come up with a few different ways to start his sentences. You want you student to use different styles sentences in his paper, but Elegant Essay does not demand it.

• Like 2

Thank you, everyone! I've also been asked to teach a high school research paper class, and I feel much better knowing that the two resources the co-op leaders have suggested are also recommended here. (IEW research paper and Schaum's guide.) I'm also not a huge IEW fan, so I'm glad to hear that these upper levels don't follow the same format as the earlier ones.

Fingers crossed that I can do right by these kids!

• Like 1