Menu

What can I change to make next year easier?

staceyobu

This year I have a kindergartner who needs help with every aspect of schooling.  I am spending a lot of time each day reading aloud.  I'm doing a sonlight core with the younger two and a separate one with the oldest.  The readings for the oldest take over an hour a day.  I also have grammar for two that can't be done independently, writing for the 2nd grader that has to be done with him, science is dependent on me, as is Bible.  All three kids need help going over math before they can go on their own.  The only subjects I can hand off right now are handwriting and spelling.

I feel like I need to find a better balance between independent work and mom-centric work.  I'm just not sure what they should do independently.  I don't want to short change anyone, but the reality is that I can't do hours of school work with each child and keep the 2 year old from climbing onto the roof.

Tentative plans for next year:  Saxon math for everyone.  I don't want that to change.  I'd like all kids in ancients based off of SOTW 1.  The oldest may do history odyssey (K!2) alongside the SOTW readings.  Can anyone come up with a plan where I don't pull my hair out?  Or do I just need to embrace the craziness?

• Like 1

Can I post here? I have a 2 and a 4 year old, but I have thoughts. Don't throw fruit. Or stones.

Switch to an independent grammar or don't cover grammar as frequently. You could even skip it for a year, I won't tell.

Teach Science and Bible together. The little ones will be ok with mostly absorbing. They really will.

Do they make Saxon DVDs for that age? If not see if you can find Khan videos?

Can you use SOTW as a read aloud and then have lots of independent reading?

To quote another hive member "Audio books. Booya."

Ok, I'm sorry, bye.

• Like 6

Read aloud SOTW to everyone as a read aloud and don't worry about activities or tests. Add additional biographies or free reading books for the 10yo (or audio books) - like all the Rosemary Sutcliffe titles. :)

Can you use audiobooks for some of the Sonlight books?

Read science, but skip workbook pages or experiments. 

That's how I simplify, anyway.

• Like 5

I'd suggest a few things:

1. In your spare time this summer read the book The Self Propelled Advantage which leads to #2.

2. Let your eldest do their core on their own. If they can't then you might need a middle ground where all three can be together. Seriously though, if your child can handle the readers in Core E they can handle many of the other portions. Also, a lot of those books are available in audio format so your child could still be working independently as needed. 

ETA:

I forgot #3! :lol: Slow down the Core. I'd see no reason Core E couldn't take 2 years. An 11 year old {based on your siggy} might get swallowed up with Core F & the books in G might be a bit deep still. If you took 2 weeks per each week of Core E you could do a 2-3 day week reducing the work load or slowing books down a bit more instead of rushing through them. 

• Like 1

I'm not terribly familiar with how Sonlight works but...

I know how you feel with trying to meet everybody's needs.  I have four.  The oldest has LDs and requires a lot of hand holding.  The second oldest is accelerated and requires a lot of enrichment/attention.  

The youngest two are K and 1st and thus...they also require a lot of attention.  

One thing that I have done, aside from schooling year round, is to rotate history and science.  We do history from October through March.  And we do science from April through September.  It at least takes a little of the burden down a notch.  

• Like 3

Off the cuff--

Do you set up your schedule so that the bigger kids are helping with the 2yo while you work with the other kids?

Do you use naptime?

Do you put your 2yo down for bed before the others?

If yes to the above, you've created pockets of time where you have some freedom to work without worrying about your littlest. If not, I'd try it.

You could have your middle child play for 20 minutes with your 2yo first thing, and introduce math with your eldest. Your 5yo can just start a little later.

Then have your eldest put aside math (practice set) til later, and have her take the 2yo for half an hour, while you read your Sonlight books to your two middles.

Then love on the 2yo for a few minutes while they all do handwriting. I'd actually stop the handwriting for the eldest, if all the letters are learned by now, and just start requiring a "beautiful copy" on narrations and such--IOW, practice with your content instead of making it a separate course.

Then I'd prob do SOTW with everyone--your 2yo may need you less for that 30 mins because you just filled the tank, so to speak.

Do you see where I'm going here? Would something like that work?

I like snuggling and reading together, but a few audio books might help free you to work with another child.

• Like 2

Yours are pretty close in age to mine (my 10 year old is a 5th grader). I would definitely work toward more independence for your oldest - an independent grammar choice for next year, more reading on her own (or audiobooks), maybe a video lesson for math?

I have my oldest work independently all morning (save an ocasional math question that just can't want until later). I work with my 2nd grader and K'er in the morning (2nd grader has a short list of "independent work" to do during the hour I work with the K'er - some of it is actual school work like read a book or do xtra math, while some of it is quick chores and playing with the 3year old). I also spend 30-45 minutes reading Bible and read aloud books to the boys in the morning.

Then after lunch I do anything my oldest needs help on with her - answering math questions or going over a new concept, new material for writing lesson, new spelling list once a week, etc. This is anywhere from 15 min to an hour depending on the day. Then we do either history or science all together. The K'er sometimes loses interest, but I figure he has plenty more chances to "get" this material over the years.

I still do a longer read alouds at bedtime (maybe 5 nights a week) with my 10 year old. I make my own lit list for her so there is no pressure to get through someone else's list! Either DH reads to the boys or if he is not home I read to the boys first, put them to bed, then read to DD.

• Like 2

Honestly for your Kinder I would mostly worry about doing Math, Language (phonics), handwriting. Have them watch some Magic School Bus for Science and Leap Frog videos for phonics to give you a break for the older kids. I've done Sonlight and STOW. I like them both. Do whatever History and Science you plan to use for your older child and have the younger ones listen in. That's what I did when I was homeschooling a 5th & 6th grader along with K, 1st and 2nd. They will pick up stuff. History and Science is all about the same info just builds from year to year so they won't be hurt. I have never done everything the curriculum's have suggested. You could get the audio CD for SOTW and have them color while listening. I might try that next year.This year I read each lesson myself. I also make sure to do the map part with my kids. Next year I will have a 5th, 4th, 3rd grader so I will have them all do Science and History together. I've never been great at Science. Just reading old Science books to them that I have laying around. I'm planning on getting a more organized Science next year since I'll have a 5th grader. Your 5th grader should be getting a little more independent in subjects like Math, LA so during that time spend time focusing on your younger. 

For example: First thing in the morning we do any "all together" subjects so that everyone can move at their pace after and no one has to come back later  if they are done with their work. Then maybe work with your younger child while the older child does their independent work. 

• Like 1

This year I have a kindergartner who needs help with every aspect of schooling.  I am spending a lot of time each day reading aloud.  I'm doing a sonlight core with the younger two and a separate one with the oldest.  The readings for the oldest take over an hour a day.  I also have grammar for two that can't be done independently, writing for the 2nd grader that has to be done with him, science is dependent on me, as is Bible.  All three kids need help going over math before they can go on their own.  The only subjects I can hand off right now are handwriting and spelling.

I feel like I need to find a better balance between independent work and mom-centric work.  I'm just not sure what they should do independently.  I don't want to short change anyone, but the reality is that I can't do hours of school work with each child and keep the 2 year old from climbing onto the roof.

Tentative plans for next year:  Saxon math for everyone.  I don't want that to change.  I'd like all kids in ancients based off of SOTW 1.  The oldest may do history odyssey (K!2) alongside the SOTW readings.  Can anyone come up with a plan where I don't pull my hair out?  Or do I just need to embrace the craziness?

Definitely embrace the craziness. :) Here are a few things that have helped me:

I don't do "Bible" as a separate school subject.

DIVE, Saxon Teacher, or Virtual Homeschool Group for Saxon

Read to the littles at lunch or before bed.

Switch to a more independent grammar. I like R&S, but Abeka is more independent in my house. Analytical Grammar has dvds.

I haven't done this yet, but I think I am going to switch my next batch of littles to something like EIW until 4th/5th grade. It will keep them writing consistently and give them a little bit of grammar. We can work on copywork, narration, dictation in history or literature. We'll hit grammar and writing hard in late grammar stage. Not ideal, just an option...

CDs for SOTW. If you get called away by a potty-training toddler, the others can still keep going.

Your oldest are old enough to run Science in the Beginning together. Two of mine did this last year in 3rd/5th and had a great time.

Let us know if you find something that works for you. I'm always looking for tips, too! :)

This year I have a kindergartner who needs help with every aspect of schooling. I am spending a lot of time each day reading aloud. I'm doing a sonlight core with the younger two and a separate one with the oldest. The readings for the oldest take over an hour a day. I also have grammar for two that can't be done independently, writing for the 2nd grader that has to be done with him, science is dependent on me, as is Bible. All three kids need help going over math before they can go on their own. The only subjects I can hand off right now are handwriting and spelling.

I feel like I need to find a better balance between independent work and mom-centric work. I'm just not sure what they should do independently. I don't want to short change anyone, but the reality is that I can't do hours of school work with each child and keep the 2 year old from climbing onto the roof.

Tentative plans for next year: Saxon math for everyone. I don't want that to change. I'd like all kids in ancients based off of SOTW 1. The oldest may do history odyssey (K!2) alongside the SOTW readings. Can anyone come up with a plan where I don't pull my hair out? Or do I just need to embrace the craziness?

First, I'll be the bearer of bad news... They will require all your time for years. Sorry. I won't lie. You are their teacher and you will have to teach for most of your day for a long time. But - if you know that and are mentally prepared, it's easier. I think often here on the boards there is an unrealistic push for independence very young, or at very least sharing "my 4 year old does math on their own... for fun!!..." stories that make those of us who teach and mentor and guide all day long feel like we're failing. We (and YOU) are not failing. You are doing an amazing job and you can keep doing it. It gets easier every day, every year. Really. Some times it'll be by leaps and bounds, sometimes, it's baby steps.

FWIW, (this is my 9th or 10th year?) I think you have a great plan for the fall.

History - I would have ALL the kids do SOTW, and I would add SL reading for the oldest. You can google "SL books arranged by time period" and someone made an AMAZING list. From the list - assign books to the oldest and have them narrate - or journal about them. I would do SOTW from a cd. I think you're good with SOTW until the oldest is in 6th grade, and then consider splitting them apart. Until then SOTW can be done a couple of times a week and you're set. (If you want to go crazy - have the oldest notebook - or keep a timeline - or do one [not ALL!] of the SOTW activities a week.)

Math - I am a huge fan of doing it alongside the kids and have ZERO expectation of independence. Mentally, it's easier to prepare for that. I might have them all the table, start with littlest math student while oldest does review, and then work around the table to teach. I think everyone being quiet and working hard for 45 minutes might be the best option (but this will take training!).

LA - I would recommend CLE for anyone in Grade 3 or up. It's great. It's cheap, concise, thorough, kid directed. You'll need to check up on them - but if you follow the program the kids are even supposed to grade their own work from Grade 2 up. AND - it covers a ton.

For the younger crowd (up to Grade 2) I would use FLL. It's gentle, mostly oral, and super awesome for building up LA skills for the future. One lesson a day. 15 minutes-ish. Awesome.

I would add writing for the oldest - but not the others. 4th grade was my start point for "writing". EIW is a short, dvd, gentle approach to writing. I think a 10 year old could handle it on their own with you reviewing work and helping with editing.

Phonics - I'm so far removed I have nothing to add, other than just do a little every day. I used nap time for this a lot (though it was super hard not to fall asleep! LOL!!)

If you go the CLE route - look at their reading for anyone Grade 3 and up. It's amazing. And again, almost zero work for you.

Science - I will be honest and say we didn't do "formal" science until 6th. I assigned a TON of books, watched Magic Schoolbus, attended as many things as we could at the local nature center, went to science museums and aquariums, did fun experiments. If you can swing an Academy of Science for Kids science kit - buy one. Do it every Friday. EVERYTHING is in the kit. It's so simple. I can't recommend them enough. (The price is totally worth it). Do nature walks and chart the weather for a week. Keep it simple, fun, easy. If you want an easy guideline - the age appropriate Boy Scout / Cub Scout books have great simple science ideas in them and you could do one or two a week. All together. Easy.

Read Alouds and Bible - I'd do these together. Have the readers read aloud the bible for you - or you can use BibleIs or biblegateway for audio bible. Simple. If you want a devotional - Leading Little Ones to God is awesome for those ages. Then pick all the great read alouds from SL and work through them. Use Librovox liberally. My kids are 12 and 13 and we still do read alouds and audio books together. We don't do a theme or anything - just pick great books and read them.

So, that's my 2 cents. You're doing great. From the far side of the homeschool mountain - I can share that a little done every day does make a HUGE difference in the long run. So do a little. Don't worry about "enough". Just do a little. Stick with it. You'll be shocked in a year how far you've gone!!

• Like 8

Everything changed for us with baby 5. I realized (and I think you're getting to this place) that my mom intensive programs just weren't getting done very often. Too many kids to teach all those individual lessons to. I was getting maybe half of what needed to get done, done.

Are you thinking of having more babies? That might seem like a very personal question, but when I was pregnant with baby 5, I realized we needed to move toward independent work. I'm very glad we did because baby 6 was actually twins. I get very little done when I'm pregnant and napping or have newborns, my children bed to keep going with facilitation - not full blown teaching - from me.

So, I recommend skills first. Never, ever do history, read alouds, or science at the expense of basic math and language skills. Social studies and science me not be formally assigned until children are reading fluently on their own, then they can do it on their own. Totally optional until grade 3 and up at our house. This was a hard lesson for me, I love lit based EVERYTHING in theory, but can't fit it all in.

Then, let your oldest go! Find some independent programs that will work for you. Focused one on one teaching time needs to happen while teaching reading and basic math - your littles - the oldest just needs daily check ins, troubleshooting, and tutoring over the tough spots.

We do Scribd for a lot of audio books, and I read Bible stories daily. My readers all read/listen voraciously on their own as well as tackling research for fun, self teach all sorts of domestic skills etc. in the time they have left.

• Like 4

My oldest is only eight, but to try to keep things more under control, we've decided not do FLL 1 and 2 book and just play the CD. FLL3 reviews much of what's in book one and two. The CD teaches songs for the parts of speech, which for me was the most important part of the program in the first two books. Though I know a lot of kids here start FLL3 in second, we table it for third.

Could your children's Sunday School be enough Bible study for you?

Story of the World Audiobooks are awesome, and I have to say repeatedly listening to them over the years has made more difference in retention than any activity we've done.

First, I'll be the bearer of bad news... They will require all your time for years. Sorry. I won't lie. You are their teacher and you will have to teach for most of your day for a long time. 

:iagree:   My oldest is 13 and still wants (and needs) me to work with her.  You would think they could be almost completely independent, but even at 13, my daughter wants someone to discuss the literature she's reading, someone to talk to about her science, help with algebra, etc.  It's not getting any better from what I'm seeing. :huh:   Schoolwork takes all of my day, too - not necessarily all of *their* day, but all of MY day.  Schooling year-round helps - then, you don't feel so pressured to get everything done in a short amount of time.

Also, everyone I've met IRL who uses Sonlight has a really hard time getting all of the reading done.  I have a friend who's been on the same core for TWO years.   :crying:  

• Like 2

One thing that I have done, aside from schooling year round, is to rotate history and science.  We do history from October through March.  And we do science from April through September.  It at least takes a little of the burden down a notch.  

That's a good idea!

A few thoughts:

Don't do a full Sonlight core with the younger two--just do lit. read-alouds until your oldest is ready to do a core independently. 

Definitely have all do SOTW together. Don't add for the youngers unless it's a fun project here & there. 

Consider audios--you don't have to read it all. I'm astounded by the number of times my kids will tell me they know something. I'll think it's something I taught them and they'll say, "Oh no, we heard it on such & such audio." They listen to those audios over and over and really absorb the material so much more. My doctor's wife (6 kids) does all history on audio until they are reading it on their own. 

I handed science off to my youngest when she was 10. I figured whatever she got read or decided to do that year was more than I was going to have time to teach her. Consider handing science off to your oldest. (I've found with both of my kids that that ended up to be the easiest subject to break away from "reading aloud," by the way.) Don't do worksheets and lots of busy work. Let your oldest keep a notebook and journal or draw a diagram or something at least once a week. 

I only do grammar informally with younger kids (gently restating things they say etc...). Another thing you can do is have one block of time for writing and grammar, and either alternate subjects, or do subjects in "units" of a month, quarter, semester etc... or even yearly. You don't have to do both subjects every year. 

• Like 1

I don't want to short change anyone, but the reality is that I can't do hours of school work with each child and keep the 2 year old from climbing onto the roof.

No advice, just letting you know I am right there with you. My for-now littlest is going to be 2 this summer and if we get through a morning without him climbing on/falling off something, it's downright miraculous. You're doing great :)