Menu

Miquon vs Education Unboxed

Slache

I like EU. I say give a shot to see if it will work for your household. it didn't work out for us. My children would end up playing with the rods instead of watching the video. They have been playing with these rods for 2 years now, so it is nothing new. Furthermore, if I go to another room to just watch the video with my 4 1/2 year old, my other children are going to want to watch it too or they will feel left out.

So miquon is easier for me to implement. (I had to skip the first 20 pages or so because I didn't understand them. )

Hth.

• Like 1

I think the Education Unboxed videos are designed so the parent can watch the video and then implement the teaching with the child. That's how we used them, and it worked out great. DD actually liked watching them on her own too and experimenting. But, I primarily watched them and then did the lesson with DD without the video.

• Like 6

I think it could be good on its own if you're well-equipped to make up your own problems. EU is free and Miquon is so unique and well-designed and cheap enough, though, that even as a supplement I'd say to just use it if you can, instead of having to reinvent their wheel.

I intend on using Ray's as my spine, but use C-Rods to introduce concepts. I'm just not entirely sure how I plan to work it all together yet.

What I have done is used education unboxed and c rods to introduce a topic before tackling the text.

That's what I think I might do.

I think the Education Unboxed videos are designed so the parent can watch the video and then implement the teaching with the child. That's how we used them, and it worked out great. DD actually liked watching them on her own too and experimenting. But, I primarily watched them and then did the lesson with DD without the video.

That's what we do.

It really depends what you are looking for.

Educationunboxed are games and presentations you do WITH your child. I do not reccomend turning them on and walking away, or even watching together. You should watch before, learn the method, and then implement that with your kid. Both of my boys did education-unboxed style math exclusively during their pre-k year, and then jumped right into a first grade program with ease during their K year. I still use the videos pretty heavily when we hit rough spots. So I'd call EU hands on, game based, fun, visual, appropriate for preschoolers as young as 3 or 4, and very parent directed.

Miquon is a 1-3 grade workbook. It is hands on, yes. It uses the rods heavily, yes. But it is a workbook at the end of the day. You teach the lesson per the annotations and then could potentially leave the kiddo to do the lab individually. My 7 yo tried Miquon and hated it, my 5 year old love, love, loves it. I'd call Miquon hands on, visual, workbook based, creative, appropriate for children ready for 1st grade math (already counting, good one-to-one understanding, writing numbers, ect), and somewhat independant.