Menu

What would think about this?

Reflections

My dd15 was out walking our 90lb German Shep mix - just through the neighborhood - when a man pulled up alongside her in his van, rolled down the window and told her he liked to talk to dogs.  Our dog went into protective mode - howl barking and such - and then the man barked back at our dog, rolled up his window and drove away.  

So.... what do you think?

• Like 1

I think you should report it to the police.  We have those kinds of alerts on our news so that others know that there is someone prowling for kids.  

Yeah... I though about that, but I didn't know if I was over-reacting or not.  For now, I just told her not to walk him anymore.  The dog park was a mud hole so walks through the neighborhood was a substitute.  

The police station is near where she fences... maybe I'll stop in tomorrow.

• Like 1

Yeah... I though about that, but I didn't know if I was over-reacting or not. For now, I just told her not to walk him anymore. The dog park was a mud hole so walks through the neighborhood was a substitute.

The police station is near where she fences... maybe I'll stop in tomorrow.

That is the hard thing -- wondering whether or not to report, because what if it was just some silly guy who was just joking around because he likes dogs, right?

The problem is that a successful predator is the kind of guy who can make you believe that he was probably just some silly guy who likes dogs.

It wouldn't hurt to tell the police what happened, just so they can be on the alert. Who knows how many other people the guy may have approached in addition to your dd? The last thing you want to do is turn on the news and find out that he hurt someone else's dd, because you would probably never forgive yourself for not reporting what happened.

• Like 6

That is the hard thing -- wondering whether or not to report, because what if it was just some silly guy who was just joking around because he likes dogs, right?

The problem is that a successful predator is the kind of guy who can make you believe that he was probably just some silly guy who likes dogs.

It wouldn't hurt to tell the police what happened, just so they can be on the alert. Who knows how many other people the guy may have approached in addition to your dd? The last thing you want to do is turn on the news and find out that he hurt someone else's dd, because you would probably never forgive yourself for not reporting what happened.

Yeah, I'll probably go in tomorrow.  And - no, I never thought for one minute that this guy was just silly.  No one in their right mind with good intentions pulls alongside a young woman walking alone.  I just didn't know how BIG of a deal to make of this.

• Like 3

Guest submarines

Yeah, but wouldn't a child predator try to find an easier target that someone walking a 90lb dog? I'd still be cautious, though.

• Like 3

My dd is already shy.  Walking alone with just the dog is a HUGE thing for her.  I don't want this incident to set her back too much.

ETA:  Sorry. Random thought.  I've got lots going on in my head... never know what might bubble to the surface.

• Like 2

Yeah, but wouldn't a child predator try to find an easier target that someone walking a 90lb dog? I'd still be cautious, though.

See, I was thinking that too.  And the only conclusion - thought, really - I had is that dogs around here are very sweet. Gentle even. Happy-go-lucky. Even the really big ones are unlikely to bark, more like wag and walk over to greet you.   In VA, I wouldn't have dared approach a dog - they were all protective of person and property.  So Hoagie (our dog), has stood out here because he needs time to warm up before he likes you.  Unless we are at the dog bark, and then he has to greet every.single.person there for pets.

So maybe, if you are still following my logic, he was testing the waters.  Maybe if Hoagie hadn't been protective and barked at him....

Just some more random thoughts...

• Like 1

he's in a car, he's safe from the dog.

I was really naïve as a teen, (and didn't have anyone I could confide in that I felt would care) when I was being followed by  some creepy guy in a car while I was walking TWO big dogs I was dog sitting, in the middle of a bright sunny day.  a chocolate lab, and some retriever type.  I would have been safer with my GSD. (which I got later and was more likely to go into protective mode.)  despite the TWO large dogs, he finally made an attempt to speak to me.  I was naïve thinking he wanted directions or something.  he was exposing himself.  as an adult - I *now* know it should have been reported - but I was a naïve teen and staying at my grandmother's neighbor's house. (dogsitting)  my grandmother was NOT someone I trusted to ever advocate for me.

OP - Now, as an adult, I absolutely would report your dd's experience to the police.  at worst, next time he does this, there will already be a record.

• Like 2

he's in a car, he's safe from the dog.

I was really naïve as a teen, (and didn't have anyone I could confide in that I felt would care) when I was being followed by  some creepy guy in a car while I was walking TWO big dogs I was dog sitting, in the middle of a bright sunny day.  a chocolate lab, and some retriever type.  I would have been safer with my GSD. (which I got later and was more likely to go into protective mode.)  despite the TWO large dogs, he finally made an attempt to speak to me.  I was naïve thinking he wanted directions or something.  he was exposing himself.  as an adult - I *now* know it should have been reported - but I was a naïve teen and staying at my grandmother's neighbor's house. (dogsitting)  my grandmother was NOT someone I trusted to ever advocate for me.

OP - Now, as an adult, I absolutely would report your dd's experience to the police.  at worst, next time he does this, there will already be a record.

Yuck.  I've had that happen as an adult - in a moving car no less.

I'll report it tomorrow.  Like I said the police station is right by the building we have to be at tomorrow.

My dd is already shy.  Walking alone with just the dog is a HUGE thing for her.  I don't want this incident to set her back too much.

ETA:  Sorry. Random thought.  I've got lots going on in my head... never know what might bubble to the surface.

by advocating for her, and helping her know what to do in that situation if she should find herself in it in the future - you will be doing her a favor.  1), she'll know what to do (run opposite the direction the car is pointed), and 2) report it to the police.

most importantly - you will be sending the message to her that. you. care.!

she will know you are listening to her, and taking her seriously.  please don't underestimate what that means.  the messages I was sent because concerns I raised were disregarded, or brushed under the rug were that the adults in my life didn't give a hoot about me.

• Like 2

I agree with Jean. Report. You don't have to call 911. Just the regular police line. Anything she remembers, even vague. 

I wouldn't treat it as a big deal. What I told my kids when we had a possible prowl attempt was, "The police need information even about suspected problems because they can use it to pick up on patterns. If this is not part of a pattern of behavior, then it's no biggie. But if it is, we'll do our part."

No big deal. No drama or fear. Just--report suspicious activity. I understand that it can still be freaky, but what I emphasize is that a lot of what we report will only be there in case they need to investigate.

• Like 10

Some people just like freaking other people out. Weirdos. If he does it 100 times, maybe one dog out of 100 will be too stupid to sense what is going on, and then he has an in. Criminals are usually pretty stupid. It's very rare to have really smart ones out there. A lot of times figuring out morality is only part of their problem. They often have all kinds of other issues as well!

by advocating for her, and helping her know what to do in that situation if she should find herself in it in the future - you will be doing her a favor.  1), she'll know what to do (run opposite the direction the car is pointed), and 2) report it to the police.

most importantly - you will be sending the message to her that. you. care.!

she will know you are listening to her, and taking her seriously.  please don't underestimate what that means.  the messages I was sent because concerns I raised were disregarded, or brushed under the rug were that the adults in my life didn't give a hoot about me.

Of course you're right.  Advocating for her will send the very definite message that she is cared for.  And for your peace of mind, we do do that.  There have been other things that have happened through the years and I have walked her through my mental steps so she KNOWS that not only do I care, but I'm taking the most rational steps that I can.

And no, I don't underestimate it.  My dh was the first to really take what I said and felt seriously.  No matter how kooky it sounded.  I make it a point in my relationship with my kids, too, to really hear what they are saying to me and what is important to them.  

• Like 1

Of course you're right.  Advocating for her will send the very definite message that she is cared for.  And for your peace of mind, we do do that.  There have been other things that have happened through the years and I have walked her through my mental steps so she KNOWS that not only do I care, but I'm taking the most rational steps that I can.

And no, I don't underestimate it.  My dh was the first to really take what I said and felt seriously.  No matter how kooky it sounded.  I make it a point in my relationship with my kids, too, to really hear what they are saying to me and what is important to them.  

I assumed you did.  I'm sorry if I implied I thought otherwise.  from your posts I got a "what do I do in this situation?"  (not that you didn't want to do anything, but you just weren't sure what was appropriate.)  I also know how easy it is to *feel* like you're over reacting.  (even when the reaction is appropriate!) and sometimes we just need that feedback - that yep, our reaction is what it needs to be.

• Like 2

Yeah, I'll probably go in tomorrow.  And - no, I never thought for one minute that this guy was just silly.  No one in their right mind with good intentions pulls alongside a young woman walking alone.  I just didn't know how BIG of a deal to make of this.

I guess it depends what you mean by "good intentions."  Trying to meet a person of the opposite sex doesn't seem that awful to me.

Um. She is 15. Does she look 12? Could she pass for 17? How old was the guy? So what if an adult male spoke to a nearly-grown young woman? In what world is that a crime?

Seriously? :glare:

If Reflections had said the guy was an older teen from the neigborhood, I might have given him the benefit of the doubt, but this was an adult male stopping his van on the street to talk with a teenage girl he'd never met before.

In what world is that normal or acceptable???

• Like 8

I guess it depends what you mean by "good intentions." Trying to meet a person of the opposite sex doesn't seem that awful to me.

How many people of the opposite sex have you met by stopping your car in the middle of the street to talk with them?

Who does that???

• Like 5

When I was a teen it happened occasionally to me, and I didn't think anything of it (and I didn't have a dog).  I wasn't interested so I kept on walking.  Some teen girls would take an interest for whatever reason.  Not my cup of tea, but it isn't alarmingly strange.

When I was a teen it happened occasionally to me, and I didn't think anything of it (and I didn't have a dog). I wasn't interested so I kept on walking. Some teen girls would take an interest for whatever reason. Not my cup of tea, but it isn't alarmingly strange.

Were the guys teenagers or adults? Because honestly, it's hard to imagine any normal adult male with even the slightest amount of common sense who would approach a teenage girl he passed on the street while driving his van.

You may have been extremely lucky that you just kept on walking...

• Like 4

Were the guys teenagers or adults? Because honestly, it's hard to imagine any normal adult male with even the slightest amount of common sense who would approach a teenage girl he passed on the street while driving his van.

You may have been extremely lucky that you just kept on walking...

That's why I asked how old he was, and how old she looks.  It would not be odd for a young adult man to be interested in a teen.  It would be rather normal.

Come to think of it, that is how Dolly Parton met her husband.  (She was 18 and he was 21.)

Granted, if he was balding or graying, yeah, weird.  But he didn't do anything, and talking isn't a crime.

Even then, a guy who takes an interest in a 15yo isn't a "child predator" unless the 15yo is very late going into puberty.

I personally don't think it's a good idea to discourage a 15yo from walking her (large, protective) dog because there are men on the street who talk from their car windows.

• Like 2

That's why I asked how old he was, and how old she looks.  It would not be odd for a young adult man to be interested in a teen.  It would be rather normal.

Come to think of it, that is how Dolly Parton met her husband.  (She was 18 and he was 21.)

Granted, if he was balding or graying, yeah, weird.  But he didn't do anything, and talking isn't a crime.

Even then, a guy who takes an interest in a 15yo isn't a "child predator" unless the 15yo is very late going into puberty.

I personally don't think it's a good idea to discourage a 15yo from walking her (large, protective) dog because there are men on the street who talk from their car windows.

Thanks, SKL, I was waiting for the Devil's Advocate... :laugh:

• Like 1

So "what would you think about this" isn't actually what you meant.  I get it.  Never mind.

*POKE* 

You know you like to play the other side.  It's cool.  And I did want to hear what the Devils Advocate would have to say. Like I said I was waiting...

But I disagree with your assessment of this situation

If your daughter felt alarmed I would report it just in case there is a pattern of reports. If she felt their was no threat I wouldn't bother as it is not a crime ad SKL says and most people who talk to you are being friendly although in this case without much judgement.

• Like 1

I think it is a hard thing.  

A few weeks ago, I had a situation that sounded ALL of my internal alarms for the first time in my life, and I was so thrown off my game, the only thing I could do was hover over my kids (I'm not a helicopter mom; the plan of the day was to drop the kiddies in the children's library while I had a meeting outside of that room) and then stew on it for a week.

In our case, there were no obvious threats. The entire interaction could be chalked up to someone being a concerned citizen.  But something about it made my blood run cold.

I think the posted situation is similar.  Objectively, I don't see anything but a strange person. And there are LOTS of strange people out there.  I could absolutely imagine walking my dog in my neighborhood and having some weirdo stop to be weird. I could also imagine some weirdo stopping and seriously freaking me out.

Our area, and even our immediate neighborhood, frequently puts out attempted and possible attempted abduction alerts involving men in vehicles. To my knowledge, no person has ever been apprehended and no child has actually been abducted.  So we mostly just live with the rule Don't Talk to People in Cars.

• Like 2

My dd15 was out walking our 90lb German Shep mix - just through the neighborhood - when a man pulled up alongside her in his van, rolled down the window and told her he liked to talk to dogs. Our dog went into protective mode - howl barking and such - and then the man barked back at our dog, rolled up his window and drove away.

I think the man is lucky he didn't try the barking stunt with the wrong dog. I know a few stories where a person barked at a dog and the dog lunged and bit the person.

I'd report this to a nonemergency number. It's odd behavior.

• Like 1

I've only had folks stop their cars and talk to me twice when out walking our Labrador - once the person needed directions to a church nearby, the other time they asked if I had seen their lost dog while on walkies.  Since I am an over-weight troll ;-)  I doubt they were lying.  Now, stopping to ask a teen female.....I'd suspect the worst.

• Like 2

My dd15 was out walking our 90lb German Shep mix - just through the neighborhood - when a man pulled up alongside her in his van, rolled down the window and told her he liked to talk to dogs.  Our dog went into protective mode - howl barking and such - and then the man barked back at our dog, rolled up his window and drove away.  

The question in my mind is does your 15 year old look 15 or 25?  If she looks 15, I'd call the police and tell them someone is prowling for kids.  If she looks 25, I'd have a talk with her about the fact that she looks 25 and now she's going to have to be aware that men will sometimes approach her and she needs to be prepared to tip them that she's younger than they think and send them on their way.

Oh, and by "looks 25" I don't mean that she has too much makeup or is dressed improperly...I just mean that some girls as teens look grown and that men will sometimes be mistaken (I was one of those girls).

• Like 3

How many people of the opposite sex have you met by stopping your car in the middle of the street to talk with them?

Who does that???

Where I live?  Lots of people.  Roads are not busy and trafficy here and people will stop to talk to people on the street pretty frequently.  I've been approached by men in cars numerous times.  No biggie, in and of itself.

People will use dogs as a way to get close, even your own dog. So he could easily have been testing the waters on the dog. If the dog had been loving and receptive to his affection he may have gotten out of the car to pet it and chit chat. Predators know that most people would find that weird but not immediately react to that odd feeling they had and would more than likely hesitantly allow the interaction to continue. Teens are even less likely to react because they are naive and don't think about the bad ppl in the world.

• Like 2

Um.  She is 15.  Does she look 12?  Could she pass for 17?  How old was the guy?  So what if an adult male spoke to a nearly-grown young woman?  In what world is that a crime?

This takes devil's advocate to a whole new extreme.

Indeed, devil's advocate becomes more literal.

It is NOT ok for this situation in context to have occured.

• Like 3

This takes devil's advocate to a whole new extreme.

Indeed, devil's advocate becomes more literal.

It is NOT ok for this situation in context to have occured.

Literal devil?  Really?  So your son never talks to girls who might be a couple/few years younger than he is - and never will?

Glad I'm not trying to raise sons in a world where a man talking to a teen is equated to the devil.

• Like 2

So what advice should moms be giving their growing sons?  Don't ever speak to a female who might be under 20, even from a distance in public, even about something as benign as her own dog?  Or else the entire neighborhood will be calling the cops on you and you'll be pegged as a sexual predator?

I'm curious to know when it *is* OK for a young man to speak to a young lady he does not know.  I think I'm hearing "never."  I guess a lot of us would not be here today if that advice were followed.

I mean, yeah, "I like talking to dogs," not the best pickup line ever.  But not panic inducing.

• Like 4

No adult male has any business with a minor child walking down the street.  Period.

Then shouldn't that also be true for women?

Feeling so sorry for my dad right now, and all the young females he's not allowed to say "hello" to.  :/

Didn't any of you have positive interactions with men when you were teens?

• Like 3

Report it.  He could very well have been checking to see if she might be a viable target (which the dog's reaction immediately quashed).  If not, he might be unstable or high.  Either way, let the police know.

It could also be a class assignment, but that's less likely.  Twice in college (once for psychology, once for sociology) my class was assigned to go do some odd but harmless behavior in a public place and observe people's reactions.  He MIGHT be doing that, but if so it was a bad choice as it too closely mimics predatory behavior.  I don't remember what I did the first time I was assigned this, but the second time I went to a mall and looked for a friend's lost rabbit "because the lighting was better in the mall".  One store employee called security on me.

• Like 2

When in doubt, report.  The police, and ALL emergency services, would rather deal with false alarms than have notification delayed when something happens.

• Like 1

Feeling so sorry for my dad right now, and all the young females he's not allowed to say "hello" to.  :/

Don't over react. 

If a  any kid is walking a dog down the street, there is nothing that any adult of either gender needs from him or her.   If the adult needs to communicate with dogs, ask for time, directions or anything else, the adult may find another adult in which to ask.  

• Like 1

If your father, a complete stranger, stopped in his car in the middle of the street to talk to my teen daughter, I would be concerned.

• Like 3

Literal devil?  Really?  So your son never talks to girls who might be a couple/few years younger than he is - and never will?

Glad I'm not trying to raise sons in a world where a man talking to a teen is equated to the devil.

"Talks to girls who might be a couple/few years younger" is not the context presented.

And, no, my son NEVER stops in his vehicle to talk to an unknown girl/woman walking a dog no matter how old she is or looks.

He probably, however, talks to a variety of girls/women at the dog park when he takes his dog. As he does men/boys. THAT is appropriate in context.

• Like 10