Menu

Broken leg and bored. Help with entertainment ideas.

lexi

My daughter had a bicycle wreck this week and broke her leg. She's in a full leg cast and can't move or do anything. She's living on the couch but is bored. She's in pain and I try to keep her distracted.

Help me keep her occupied! She is 9. She has books, audiobooks, movies, and a Kindle. I need more ideas. She is artsy and crafty and loves coloring, projects, and anything girly. What can she do as she lies on the couch for the next 6 weeks?

Tell me that this will get better please! I carry her to the bathroom and try to keep her comfortable. This is misery! I'm so sad for her!

Edit: This is my oldest daughter Curly. She has a spiral fracture and cannot put any weight on her leg. She's stuck on the couch with her leg elevated all day. So, I need ideas that can be done as she is propped up on her mountain of pillows.

I need ideas that she can do on her own when I'm dealing with the other little people - I started potty training the youngest before all this craziness happened so that has NOT been fun. I hate to leave her on the couch so I want her to have a basket of things to do nearby so she's not too bored.

:grouphug:

We had a friend whose daughter was in a full cast, she was a bit younger. I sent a bunch of my daughter's old craft things that she had grown out of, plus I went to Hobby Lobby and Walmart and got some crafty things and craft kits, and some Disney coloring books and pens, she liked Disney princesses.

I'm not sure which DD it is that is hurt, but my, then 4yo DS, broke his leg and was in a full leg cast. Within about four days of getting the cast he was army crawling around the house. And about two days after that, he was up walking on the cast. The ortho wasn't worried about it. And he was much happier after he could move. Maybe your DD will regain some mobility. Good luck!

I was 9 when I started cross stitching. There are good all-in-one starter kits. A small ornament kit would be a good present for a grandparent too.

I also loved making a latchhook rug at that age.

Friendship bracelet book with embroidery floss

• Like 1

Thanks for the ideas. This is my oldest, Curly, who is 9.

I think she would like some very detailed coloring books, nice pencils, sticker books, word searches, and crossword puzzles. Those are on my list.

I'm also going to let her do some typing on my laptop. She wants to write a story.

I'm hoping the pain will get less each day. Right now it is still very bad.

She has a spiral fracture that is pretty bad and the ortho said she could not under any circumstances put any weight on it right now. We go back in two weeks to check on how it's healing. At that appt he will let us know how long we will have to be in the cast and he will let us know about surgery. Right now he's thinking she will be fine without surgery and will hopefully heal quickly.

I was 9 when I started cross stitching. There are good all-in-one starter kits. A small ornament kit would be a good present for a grandparent too.

I also loved making a latchhook rug at that age.

Ohh latchhook rug! Great idea! Yes, she has done a little bit of cross stitching and she would enjoy that. She likes to sew.

One of those "make your own book kits" ? (you write and illustrate it and then mail it in and they return a professionally bound book)

We love Klutz books.

Origami??

Chalk drawings on black paper?

sculpy dough?

make your own beads kits? I think they use clay then you bake them.

Learn a software like publisher to make her own newsletters?

Okay, I didn't read all the posts, BUT when I first saw your title I thought it was YOUR leg that was broken and my first thought was: WHAT??? This forum isn't enough to keep you occupied.  Pffffft. You're not even trying!!!!

But now that I know it's an artsy 9 year old... I found this site the other day and I thought how fun! You can create your own art masterpieces - it's from the National Gallery of Art

http://www.nga.gov/content/ngaweb/education/kids/kids-jungle.html

And, I found this one:  http://engineering-games.net/ Who doesn't love engineering games??

And, I can't say enough about ABCya.com.  Scroll through all of the learning stuff and you'll find fun games.  Including building bridges.

iPad and some good apps.  When I was laid up for months after our car crash - with a broken leg, among other things, so I get the non-weight-bearing!- I even did jigsaw puzzles on the iPad!  There are so many possibilities.

Origami book and paper to practice with. 

A decent padded lab table thing to hold iPad, etc. on...or do origami.  Or even Sculpty clay stuff - she could make little figerines or doll house items.

Not hard to learn how to thread a needle and make a small crazy quilt, perhaps, for a favored pet or doll?

Get her scissors and old magazines and a shallow box to put letters, figures - whatever she snips out of the magazines in - and then let her make collages.

Decent pad of paper and quality colored pencils. 

School work, too, of course ;-) 

pony beads making beadie babies. lots of free patterns online.

they are large enough it's easy to stop and pick up.  when her attention span is long enough for more detail, you can use smaller beads.  the patterns are the same, just different size beads and findings.

make key chains, zipper pulls, luggage tags (hmm good idea, we have a trip coming), earrings, pendants, etc.

is she interested in needlework?  this could be a good time to start.

I'm so sorry to hear about your dd! :(

There are a lot of craft channels on YouTube so maybe she would enjoy watching some of the projects and then choosing a few to try.

She might like making jewelry. Beading is fun for kids, and I'll bet she could also do Viking Knit wire jewelry as well.

How about polymer clay sculpting? That's fun and she could do it on the sofa on a little tray or something.

Guest submarines

I wish. I can't crochet, knit, or sew. I'm so very uncrafty......

Youtube is her friend. (And yours too). Crocheting is easier, imo. You can both pick it up in 10 minutes.

Thanks for all the thoughts.

I have a needlepoint project that she is learning to do and origami sounds fun too.

I'm going to keep a list to keep us from being bored over the next 6 weeks.

We had a set-back last night when she was trying to use crutches to get to the bathroom. Her full-leg cast is so heavy for her little petite self that she fell over hurting her leg again. We had to go to the emergency clinic and have it checked out. They ended up splitting her cast slightly and wrapping it to accommodate all the swelling. That was no fun at all! I'm picking up a wheelchair next week. Wow! Broken legs are truly no fun. I feel for anyone who has had a child break anything!