Menu

Switching to CLE after FLL 1 & 2?

Hi Everyone,

We have used FLL 1 & 2 so far.   I was planning on using FLL 3 next year.   However, today I *just* pulled up samples of CLE LA.   It looks really good!  I am really tempted to switch.   CLE just looks so efficient and thorough.   Also, perhaps my kids might retain more using CLE's approach?   I worry that they aren't retaining much with FLL alone.  I also worry that certain concepts aren't taught in FLL.   (For example, paragraphs.   Besides a quick note to indent a paragraph in our letter, we haven't had any type of introduction to this concept.   I guess I had hoped that would have been covered.) 

I had a few questions:

1)  Can anyone give me a good reason why I should NOT switch?****   Would you personally say that FLL is "better"?   If so, why?  

2) What level of CLE would I want to start with?    Would I be OK starting them at grade level?

I looked at the placement test, and it seems that CLE covers a lot of stuff that isn't covered in FLL.   My kids have a very weak understanding of alphabetization, homophones, sentence diagramming, etc.   And they don't seem to be retaining much about punctuation the way I am currently teaching them.   They can identify most of the parts of speech.   And they have all of the lists and definitions memorized from FLL.   They also seem to understand basic capitalization rules.  

3)   Finally, my last question has to do with supplementing CLE.   I will still continue using AAS.  I will also use some sort of "loop" of  copywork/narration/dictation from Write From History.    We also use IEW for poetry memorization.   I may also sprinkle in some Treasured Conversations.   How do you think all of these things would fit together for a 3rd grader?   My son picks up math and science concepts pretty easily, but has always struggled with reading and writing.   I would love to get him to the point where he can start an IEW theme based writing program in the 4th grade.   (I feel like that curriculum would be a good fit for his personality.)  So I want to do what I need to this year to prepare him for IEW.  

-----------------------

****(BTW, I've already read through the 'sexist thread' on CLE.   I am glad that those points are being brought up! )

I have never used FLL but I HIGHLY recommend you give the placement tests for CLE if you seriously consider switching.  If you switch, don't stress if they place into a level below what you consider their grade level to be.  CLE can be accelerated.  They can almost certainly catch up, especially if you are willing to work on some Saturdays and/or summers.  I would definitely place them where they test into, though, and just move forward from there.  

• Like 1

I switched to CLE a couple of months ago, and I've been so pleased at how it covers all those things mentioned in #2. The ongoing review is really helping these new skills to stick. You may find that your child is far ahead on much of the grammar (parts of speech, etc.) but further back in the curriculum for punctuation, usage, dictionary skills, etc. The placement test is definitely a must.

Whether all the language arts activities you're describing are too much really depends on how much time you have to spend. I've continued to do a copy work/dictation loop like you described, but I dropped AAS in favor of streamlining and just using CLE's spelling. My son is a pretty natural speller, so my plan is to keep an eye on it and go back to AAS later if needed. It's pretty wonderful having all of my son's language arts (other than his copy work) in one independent workbook. It really is as efficient and thorough as it looks.

• Like 1

I am considering this very thing!! My oldest son is finishing FLL 2 and we're looking to switch as well. I have heard so many good things about CLE's LA program. On CLE's Facebook page, another mama said that her child went from FLL 2 to CLE LA 300 with no problem. Many topics from level 200 are reviewed in 300 and go into greater depth. That gave me the confidence to switch. :)  Hoping others chime in!

• Like 1

1st and 2nd are still largely phonetic, so if you haven't done CLE for your phonics from the start, it is probably better to jump in at 3rd :). We use it and easily sub out spelling for Rod and Staff. The writing has been enough for us, and it does a great job of covering all those niggling LA pieces without needin an entirely separate book! Homophones, study skills, usage, punctuation, dictionary usage, lots of good stuff :).

• Like 1