Menu

Anyone else taking Math Kangaroo today?

Diviya

My daughter finished level 2 about one hour ago. We were the second session and there were a lot of kids. Only level 2 there were about 30 of them. My daughter felt pretty good. She is now wearing the Math Kangaroo t-shirt she got today.

• Like 1

My kids tested today in College Park, MD. There was a big turnout! Tons of kids, tons of parents, sheer chaos.

My kindergarten-age son took the Level 1-2 test. I thought in advance that he was probably too young, and on balance I think that was right. He enjoyed it, but he also rushed through to finish as fast as possible and did a ton of guessing.

My 4th grader took level 4. She feels really good about how she did.

Hope everyone had fun!

• Like 1

My level 6 guy said he ended up guessing on 3 or 4. My level 5 guy said he ended up guessing on probably double that. There were 13 kids registered for the exam at our site for all levels, & 1 child didn't end up coming.

One of the problems on the level 5/6 was #2 ~ the umbrella problem ~ that is the one the kids got in the car both lamenting, "that was impossible, I couldn't even figure out what math to do?!" My dh looked at it for a while & put it down. I picked it up & instantly pointed out the correct answer. "Look, it's this one, here's why...this 'R' doesn't fit the pattern that's provided."

Oh.my.gosh. The boys were fiesty about that. That's Not Math!! 

Sure it is, patterns and all. Logic.

BTW, I am by far the worst at math in this household. The boys were pretty insulted that I got one that they gave up on. That's just disorder in our household :). 

Haha. They felt duped. They'll know next time :).

• Like 1

There were about 40 kids at our site, an elementary school.  There were all levels 1-5 I think, except for my 7th grader.  My girls had fun with the test.  I also was able to get an answer that stumped both of them - very gratifying!

4ofus, last year, the coordinator at the test site sent us a list of who made the state and national lists.  For the actual scores, at some point you can go on the website to get them.  It takes an unreasonably long time for the scores to be posted, given it's a scanned answer sheet.  I want to say about two months.

Well, phew, I think that's it for the math contests for this year.  DD12 is taking the SAT on May 2 though - I'll be interested to see how that goes!!

• Like 1

My kid took the level 2 at a Silicon Valley company whose volunteers ran the test out of their company's conference rooms - there were more than 100 kids. 15 minutes before the test, the CTO came in and gave a welcome speech and told the kids how math is used by their company to build their graphic chips that go inside gaming consoles and the video gaming software. A lot of the kids ended up asking a lot of questions about the real-life usage of math in engineering firms and he was awesome in answering them in such a way that they understood. Then, we left the exam room and my child did the test for 1 hour (a record for him because he is the early finisher always and I had reminded him to double check and to take his time). He did not understand the last question (it described a summer camp, and said that it was overnight and he mistook it for the summer day camps he is familiar with instead of a camping trip which it was referring to). Overall, an awesome experience for him. We loved working through the older question papers to prepare for this test.

• Like 6

mathnerd,

Your experience sounds incredible! 

I feel like I read somewhere that after the tests are graded, the solutions/answers would be available. Is that right? Is it online somewhere? We're hoping to use that information with a grade report to be able to work the ones the boys missed & learn from them.

the CTO came in and gave a welcome speech and told the kids how math is used by their company to build their graphic chips that go inside gaming consoles and the video gaming software.

If it is Nvidia, then you were near my home. Either way great of the CTO to do that.

A lot of Silicon Valley companies have bring their kids to work day. My ex-boss lets his son answer the phone for the day and it was fun since people would call to chat with his kid.

• Like 2

Aw shucks, I should have signed up farther south. That is so cool for the CTO to do that.

I've never actually checked the results. I sign up for contests here and there so that DD can learn to sit for the maximum time, but she.just.won't.do.it. She appears to have gotten this from my mother who apparently could not wait to finish tests and leave.

Math Kangaroo even mentioned in an email that kids could not leave early due to disrupting other test takers. Yippee! But it didn't happen, and I can understand, it was getting late, most kids probably didn't have dinner.

SAT proctors don't let kids leave early, right? I can't remember that long ago.

Are there any other upcoming onsite contests? In any area?

• Like 1

If it is Nvidia, then you were near my home. Either way great of the CTO to do that.

A lot of Silicon Valley companies have bring their kids to work day. My ex-boss lets his son answer the phone for the day and it was fun since people would call to chat with his kid.

It was AMD. There were a dozen of their employees volunteering to run the event as part of their company's community education outreach program. People sign up for all the openings in their site on the first day - so, next year, if anyone is interested, sign up for it as soon as they open the seats (in october, I think). I am from that area, so am familiar with how companies do outreach for tech. But, to have a CTO of a huge company tell kids that he too found math hard at times and that he needed someone to help him understand hard math problems made my son's day.

• Like 3

I feel like I read somewhere that after the tests are graded, the solutions/answers would be available. Is that right? Is it online somewhere? We're hoping to use that information with a grade report to be able to work the ones the boys missed & learn from them.

The results will be out in May. They will email it to your registration email address. You will also be able to log in to your MK account and see your child's state and national rankings there.

• Like 1

It was AMD. There were a dozen of their employees volunteering to run the event as part of their company's community education outreach program.

The "white house" :) They paid for our green cards.

ETA:

The "white house" is lovely lighted up at night.

• Like 1

DS took level 2 at a community center in TX. There were about 30 Indian kids and DS (white), so he kind of stands out in the picture they took :) DS didn't seem to notice and had a great time. It looked like mostly elementary and a few middle school kids.

It might take a while for scores to be "officially" available, but since the kids are allowed to bring home their test booklets, can't you figure out the scores yourself? We knew how our kids did the same day. :tongue_smilie:  Of course, I suppose that depends on your kids marking their answers in the booklet as well as on the scantron form.

• Like 2

It might take a while for scores to be "officially" available, but since the kids are allowed to bring home their test booklets, can't you figure out the scores yourself? We knew how our kids did the same day. :tongue_smilie:  Of course, I suppose that depends on your kids marking their answers in the booklet as well as on the scantron form.

DD accidentally skipped one problems and didn't double check her scantron. I have a feeling she messed up all of the bubbles since she did the same thing on both practice tests we took. Hopefully this is a lesson she learns now and is able to avoid mistakes in the future when taking high stakes tests. Even with the skipped problem, she scored really well and that is all that matters to me. DD and DS are both looking forward to it next year.

Alright Rivka, you have shamed me into it. I'm doing the dang math test right now while I cook dinner. 

Hmph.

We will compare answers with each other tomorrow & assess how we think they did.

Thanks for the kick in the rear. I think. ;).

ETA: It's the level 5/6 test & some of it is HARD. I'm not convinced we'll be certain of all the answers. I hope they release solutions later so we can learn from them.

• Like 2

So. I feel pretty good about my answers on the level 5/6. The kids & I will go over it tomorrow. Number 30 was hard for me. Help a mother out. PLEASE.

"Basil used small cubes with a side length of 1 to construct a cube with a side length of 4. After that, he painted 3 faces of the big cube red and the other 3 faces blue. After he finished, there was no small cube with 3 red faces. How many small cubes have both red and blue faces?"

So, I just drew a picture & did some shading & counting. But then I needed to get to the backside of the cube & for that I just tried to rotate the image in my head. That's where the wheels fell off. I "think" I got to 24 before I lost count between the image on the paper & the one I was trying to manipulate in my head. 

I know, I know. This is probably the least logical/efficient way to attack this problem. I am math-challenged I tell you!!

Choices are: 0, 8, 12, 24, 32.

Any guidance?

It's possible I'm not thinking of this the right way, but I think only the corner small cubes on the big cube have three painted faces.  All the other small cubes would have only one or two painted faces.  So, eight corner cubes total - they told you none with 3 red faces, so that also means none with three blue faces, so all eight will have both red and blue?  Make sense?  Can anyone corroborate?

Well, first we notice that only cubes on the edges of the big cube can have red and blue faces. The 12 edges have 32 small cubes altogether. Second we notice that since there is no small cube with 3 sides of same color, the only arrangement for colored faces of the big cube is that you have 2 opposite faces that have the same color joined by one other face of the same color. This means that there are 4 edges that are formed by 2 faces of same color. Of these 4 edges, the cubes on the corners have 3 colored faces so they will have both red and blue. Only the 2 cubes on the middle of these 4 edges have 2 colored faces of same color (either blue or red) so those 4x2=8 cubes should be excluded from the 32 cubes. So there are 32-8=24 cubes with both red and blue faces.

• Like 1

Alright Rivka, you have shamed me into it. I'm doing the dang math test right now while I cook dinner. 

Hmph.

Look at the ages of my kids... I only had to do grades 1&2 and 3&4. So, you know. Easy for me to say.

You assume that I trust myself not to make the same mistakes he did.  :lol:

But I think he did better than last year.  We'll see!

• Like 1

DS took level 2 at a community center in TX. There were about 30 Indian kids and DS (white), so he kind of stands out in the picture they took :) DS didn't seem to notice and had a great time. It looked like mostly elementary and a few middle school kids.

This is basically the same experience that we had in Houston. 30-40 kids. dd took level 4 exam. Kids were grouped in rooms of 1-4th grade and 5th - 10th. Almost all the kids are Indian which is the same experience we had last year at a different location in Houston. Our location last year was a Polish/Russian school so there were a few very blond polish looking kids. This year it was at a math tutoring center. DD was 1 of 2 or 3 kids who weren't Indian. The others were Asian. She has dark olive skin so she doesn't stand out in the picture and I don't think she noticed either year that all the kids were Indian.

She felt good about the exam but I forgot to tell her to mark her answers so we aren't sure about the score. We rushed to the exam after a long day outside at the rodeo so we'll see if that impacted her results.

My kids didn't circle their answers, but they went through & refigured most of them today. We have a ballpark if the answers that match mine is any guide. There was one answer that I had different than both of them & they were able to show me my error. So, there's that. 

This is basically the same experience that we had in Houston. 30-40 kids. dd took level 4 exam. Kids were grouped in rooms of 1-4th grade and 5th - 10th. Almost all the kids are Indian which is the same experience we had last year at a different location in Houston. Our location last year was a Polish/Russian school so there were a few very blond polish looking kids. This year it was at a math tutoring center. DD was 1 of 2 or 3 kids who weren't Indian. The others were Asian. She has dark olive skin so she doesn't stand out in the picture and I don't think she noticed either year that all the kids were Indian.

She felt good about the exam but I forgot to tell her to mark her answers so we aren't sure about the score. We rushed to the exam after a long day outside at the rodeo so we'll see if that impacted her results.

I seek clarification so that I do not misunderstand, what was the intention underlying the explicit mention of race and ethnicity of the contestants? Was it to point out lack of diversity or.....?

ETA: acurtis75@yahoo.com- This is not the first time you've explicitly mentioned the race of the pariticpants..http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/508349-math-kangaroo/  :confused1:

I seek clarification so that I do not misunderstand, what was the intention underlying the explicit mention of race and ethnicity of the contestants? Was it to point out lack of diversity or.....?

ETA: acurtis75@yahoo.com- This is not the first time you've explicitly mentioned the race of the pariticpants..http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/508349-math-kangaroo/ :confused1:

No ulterior motives, just thought it was interesting because of the lack of diversity. I did not point it out to DS. Sorry if I unintentionally offended anyone.

• Like 1

Somehow missed this thread until now.  DS participated at the same location as dmmetler's DD.  It was the first time I have been able to meet dmmetler so was happy to be able to chat with her while we waited on our kiddos.  DS is kindergarten age and took the 1-2 test. We used it as a practice year.  I think he did okay, but not stellar.  He didn't mark a lot of his answers on his test paper, but he told me the answers he remembered marking.  I was honestly just thrilled that he left the test room with a big smile on his face.  I was worried he would get upset about not knowing a problem and come out crying.  That is definitely something we worked on leading up to the test.  I wanted him to know he wasn's expected to get 100% accuracy.  It didn't help that his dad and grandmother both separately told him they hoped he got them all right... or something to the same effect. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

If you still have answers jotted down somewhere, could you post them? I am only partly lazy.  :p

ETA: It's the level 5/6 test & some of it is HARD. I'm not convinced we'll be certain of all the answers. I hope they release solutions later so we can learn from them.

The answer keys are out http://www.mathkangaroo.org/mk/results.html

• Like 3

I found the answer key earlier this week. I was close, but I think there was one problem near the end that I had wrong. It worked in the boys' favor b/c they did NOT have it wrong. Haha. We didn't finish going through it together b/c they were OVER IT.

This was on my facebook feed today from Math Kangaroo USA:

"Over this weekend the managers of Math Kangaroo 2015 are receiving the lists of the winners who participated at their place. Congratulations to All!"

So, maybe scores will be released soon :). 

• Like 3

Brag Alert:

We're so excited & we have no-one to share it with that won't look at us like we have three heads :/. Please forgive this shameless brag...

We recieved the email late last night that my oldest son is a winner! We'll find out next weekend how he placed :). I have a guess based on last year's national scores but we'll see. 

• Like 6