Menu

I need a "nuts & bolts" writing program for 6th grade

Forget-Me-Not

This kid doesn't love to write at all, and will never be a creative writer.  It's just not who he is.  He's done WWE 1-4 and we are working through WWS 1, but it's not going well.  I think it's the "spiral" approach it takes.  Sometimes we're working on outlines, sometimes we're working on space/time/distance words, sometimes we're working on POV.  I think I need something more straightforward and more "technical" writing for him.  Maybe something that starts with outlines and works into creating paragraphs and full papers? 

Writing Strands.

Honestly, something which starts with outlines is not what I think of as "nuts and bolts." It would frustrate *me* to have to start there.

And I would expect an 11yo to already know how to put sentences together to make paragraphs. Surely, your ds has passed that point. :-)

• Like 1

Writing Strands.

Honestly, something which starts with outlines is not what I think of as "nuts and bolts." It would frustrate *me* to have to start there.

And I would expect an 11yo to already know how to put sentences together to make paragraphs. Surely, your ds has passed that point. :-)

Ha ha, yes he can.  Maybe a poor example on my part! Thanks for the suggestion.  I'll look into that. 

IEW!!

After years of frustration and tears, this program turned on the writing lightbulb for my son. It is so gentle and scaffolded, and he really enjoyed the DVD format. We used SWI-B. It starts with key word outlining (so good for practicing in other subjects, too) and works up to 3 paragraph essays using multiple resources. It's extremely incremental, and gives clear cut rules (ie: banned words, quality adjectives, prepositional phrase sentence starters, etc...plus the holy writing mantra about topic sentences and clincher sentences reflecting or repeating 2-3 key words...).

Writing programs are so subjective, and so hit or miss. But given the complete turnaround I've seen in my son this year, I can't help but recommend trying it.

• Like 3

Maybe something that starts with outlines and works into creating paragraphs and full papers? 

Essentials in Writing. Although, I haven't used the elementary levels, just 7-12--and I know the elem. levels include grammar. For the other levels, though, the program always starts with reviewing sentences, clauses, run-ons, comma usage--typical things kids struggle with, and usually with some fun topics thrown in (metaphors and similies, onomatopoeia, etc...)

Then it progresses to paragraphs, then essays. The essays are broken down into doable parts by paragraph. 

He shows how to plan your paragraph or essay--it's not the traditional "outline" exactly, but it was very helpful for my kids. 

• Like 1