Menu

Jacobs to AoPS question

Dd started Jacobs Algebra this week. We've done sixth grade math this year, mostly with Math Mammoth and a little Russian Math 6 and a day or two a week of Critical Thinking Company Understanding Geometry (which has been an excellent fit).

Jacobs is a good fit. She's excited about math again.

I plan to do it and continue CTC Geometry, supplementing with the scary number of PreA resources I have if we get stuck on something and to add some challenge problems.

I'm realistic, and I know I'm nearing the end of what I really want to teach in Math. My plan is to transition her into AoPS classes, probably Algebra 1 or Number Theory (or maybe Math and Music Studio, but I'm not sure that would be in the budget). Derek Owens PreA was a bust for her, so I doubt she'll want to go that way for other classes.

Will she be prepared for AOPS Algebra Class with Jacobs Algebra and CTC Geometry?

She's done about 1/2 of the PreA section on Alcumus for PreA, but it's been months ago. Should I just have her keep working on it?

I can't speak with any real authority, but keep in mind that Into. to Alg. was the first book published, and Pre-A came last. Intro. to Alg. wasn't written with the intention that only students who'd completed AoPS Pre-A first would be able to use it, and my guess is that having already completed an algebra program--and Jacobs is well-respected around here--should be sufficient preparation for Intro. to Alg. Finishing off Alcumus would be great, both for enrichment purposes and to make her accustomed to the AoPS style of questions before beginning the online class.

• Like 1

My daughter worked through both the Jacobs Algebra and Geometry texts at home with me, supplementing with MathCounts club and AMC competitions. I believe she was in the middle of geometry when she began her first AoPS online class, one of the AMC8/MathCounts courses. Later that year she also took their Intro to Number Theory online. They were both terrific fits and good starting points for the AoPS school. From there (around age 13) she went on to take most of their intermediate & olympiad & problem-solving offerings during the rest of her homeschooling years. The intro to algebra & geom classes weren't offered yet, so she didn't take them, nor did skipping them hurt her. She'd had most of that material through the combination of Jacobs, MathCounts, & AMC's.

• Like 1