Menu

Please post what you use for algebra I and II

Garga

I'm trying to find a new math curriculum for algebra I next year.  My first step is to figure out what algebra programs even exist and then I'll start narrowing them down.

It would be soooooo helpful if people would post what algebra they use without using acronyms, please :) .

If you have the time, it would be really awesome if you could also tell me whether the program is for a struggling math student, an advanced student, or an average student.

Homeschool High School Math

DS/10th used part of Jacobs, all of MUS older combined alg/geo, few parts of Aufmann's alg 1, Discovering Geometry by Serra, and I suspect will use Aufmann's alg 2 when he gets there.

DD/9th used Foerster's alg 1, Discovering Geometry by Serra, and she is still unsure about which she wants to stay traditional or try Art of Problem Solving for alg 2.

DS/6th is using Art of Problem Solving prealgebra. We're new to AoPS, and at this point he's unsure if he wants to stick with it longterm or go with something like Foerster's instead.

I used Lial's Beginning and Intermediate Algebra with dd. She did well, and isn't a math-loving girl. She made a 28 on the math portion of the ACT (top 9% of the nation) after completing those two and BJU geometry. My only concern about using those with ds (6th now), is that they don't include statistics, which is a big part of common core. If CC sticks and the ACT/SAT are changed to align with it, I'll have to do a lot of supplementation. 

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/442409-algebra-fence-straddlers-master-thread/page-3?hl=%2Balgebra+%2Bfence&do=findComment&comment=5833226

Another good link.

Our Algebra experience - this is with a 7th grader, a strong but not extraordinary math student.

In 6th grade we used parts of Math Mammoth 6 as needed to solidify, then we used Jousting Armadillos and Zaccaro's Real World Algebra for PreAlgebra.  She also worked/works on Alcumus for challenge problems.

This year we've used Jacobs and completed through Ch. 6.  It went very well, it was mostly review after JA.  Jacobs is written with humor and style, it introduces the concept in a short lesson and then develops the concept via working out problems.  She did it independently without great difficulty.  She's also worked on CTC's Understanding Geometry and Spectrum's Data Analysis & Probability, for an informal Integrated Math.

We're currently taking a break from the textbook and she's doing the EdX Algebra and Geometry classes concurrently at the moment.  So far so good.  These classes are an excellent introduction; as teaching, they are fantastic - short, interactive lessons that keep the student engaged.  They are adaptive, and there are options throughout to review if you have forgotten something, but it's optional, so you can move quickly through the lessons if you remember all the past material.  I am finding this to be an excellent introduction/first pass through the material, but there aren't enough practice problems for  true mastery, so this would be a great first pass through Algebra & Geometry, to be followed up by working through a textbook.

When the Edx classes are over, she'll work through Crocodiles and Coconuts and Chuckles the Rocket Dog.  These are the 2nd and 3rd books in the Arbor School series, following up on Jousting Armadillos.  She likes Jacobs fine, but she absolutely loved JA, so she asked if she could go back to this program.  It's very wordy, more so than Jacobs, but it leads a student through the discovery method to understand the concepts deeply, and she loves the tone and personality of the author, which really shines through.  I figured, choosing between "it's ok" and "i love it!!" I should probably choose the latter.

That's all I got so far!  But we really like the things we've used.

I have a daughter who is now a college graduate. 

She used Margaret Lial's Beginning and Intermediate Algebra in 8th and 10th grades. 

[she used Jacobs' Geometry, 2nd edition, in 9th.  She was well prepared and tested into College Algebra which she took along with Trigonometry at the community college in 11th grade.  She went on to take AP Statistics through Pennsylvania Homeschoolers in 12th grade.]

My husband tutors math and science, and he uses Margaret Lial's books (Basic College Math, Pre-Algebra, Beginning Algebra, Intermediate Algebra, and PreCalculus) for all his students. [He uses Harold Jacobs' book for Geometry.]  He finds Lial's a good middle of the road curriculum and simply adjusts the pace for students of different abilities.

Regards,

Kareni

I have a daughter who is now a college graduate. 

She used Margaret Lial's Beginning and Intermediate Algebra in 8th and 10th grades. 

[she used Jacobs' Geometry, 2nd edition, in 9th.  She was well prepared and tested into College Algebra which she took along with Trigonometry at the community college in 11th grade.  She went on to take AP Statistics through Pennsylvania Homeschoolers in 12th grade.]

My husband tutors math and science, and he uses Margaret Lial's books (Basic College Math, Pre-Algebra, Beginning Algebra, Intermediate Algebra, and PreCalculus) for all his students. [He uses Harold Jacobs' book for Geometry.]  He finds Lial's a good middle of the road curriculum and simply adjusts the pace for students of different abilities.

Regards,

Kareni

Kareni,

I would love if he would share his thoughts about the statistics standards. When I review the lists of standards on our state education website, they look very different from most traditional textbooks. 

DS is using Jacobs Algebra. He's definitely a strong math student, and is enjoying finally being truly challenged in math (a first for him). While he hit a bit of a snag with simultaneous equations, by far the most difficult thing for him is that for the first time he is having to learn how to learn. He's reluctant to give in to the idea that he won't be able solve everything in his head, so there's a learning curve in writing out his solutions. That would be true, of course, with any algebra program. Because its such a painful lesson for him, we are taking it slowly and won't plan to complete the entire text this year (6th). But the book is great for younger students, and DH and I are constantly surprised by how much more in depth it is than what we learned in high school.

For DS, I used Foerster's Algebra 1 and 2 based on recommendations posted on Math Mammoth.  Here is the link to the article about Algebra 1.  Mammoth Mammoth has  Algebra now, but previously listed Foerster's as a good option. 

It is a self-explanatory text.  if you can read, you can learn it, in my opinion.  We found it necessary to order the Solutions Manual from the publisher (which was around $45 or something like that), although older copies of the text can be found quite cheaply on Amazon.  The student book has answers to half the problems in the book, but if you want answers to the other half, and answers for the tests, you will need the solutions manual from Pearson.  The solutions manual for Algebra 1 is ISBN 0-201-86100.  It matches up with Algebra 1: Expressions, Equations, and Applications ISBN 0-201-32458-X.  

After he finished Foerster's Algebra 1, he went into the second book, Algebra and Trigonometry.  For that book, we added video instruction from MathWithoutBorders. 

For DD, I have put her through MUS PreAlgebra and MUS Algebra 1.  I don't feel like MUS Algebra 1 is enough for her, so I will likely have her do Foerster Algebra 1 this summer

For both of my kids this year I have had them work through this daily practice book:  Use It! Don't Lose It! Daily Algebra Practice so that they didn't forget all the algebra skills while learning geometry.  

Hope that helps. 

• Like 1

My oldest used Jacob's Algebra with Dr.Callahan's DVDs. We liked it. Then she switched to Saxon because that is what our co-op was using. She had to go over some basic Geometry the summer before we switched because Saxon has Geometry mixed in. She had not problem switching. She did Advanced Math with Saxon over two years . She is finishing Calculus with Math-U-See her senior year. She wishes she had continued with Saxon but there was no way to finish the book in one year and our umbrella school wanted her to complete 90% book to receive a calculus credit (a bit over 100 lessons).  She scored a 33 in the math section of the ACT.

My 8th grader went from Christian Light Publications (CLE) Level 6 to Saxon's 1/2 Algebra in 7th grade with no transition problems. She is now finishing Algebra 1. We plan to complete all of high school with Saxon.

My 6th grader is still using CLE materials. I have no idea if I will switch him to Saxon for pre-algebra or  find a different program. He is good at math but hates it, and Saxon lessons are long.

• Like 1

We are going to use Saxon Algebra I next year because that's what DD wanted to use. She is a strong math student but doesn't love math enough to be interested in something like AoPS; she's content with Saxon. It IS uncomplicated and straightforward, which is why she likes it.

Not sure about Algebra II yet. I own Lial's Intermediate Algebra, so we could use that, or I could buy Saxon Algebra II for her. We will decide on that one later.

The lending library copy of Saxon Algebra I is spoken for for next year (not by me; the lending library has the third edition, and another member wants that one specifically), but I can bring it for you to look at next week if you like.

Another Foerster user here. My DS started Foerster's Algebra I halfway through this year, 7th grade. He's using it alongside the Math Without Borders videos. He pre-reads each lesson in the text and then likes to see and hear the examples worked by the MWB instructor. It's also good note-taking practice. DS says he really, really likes this program and wants to use it for Algebra II as well.

He's a strong and willing student overall, slightly accelerated in math, and really appreciates Foerster's clear and concise (not wordy) instruction. He gets a kick out of the humorous names and phrases used in the Foerster word problems. A bit of comic relief in the midst of math rigor.  :001_smile: He used Math Mammoth through 6A, skipped through MM6B, did a pre-algebra review/reinforcement with most of Derek Owens' pre-algebra, then started Foerster Alg I.

• Like 1

Another Foerster user here. My DS started Foerster's Algebra I halfway through this year, 7th grade. He's using it alongside the Math Without Borders videos. He pre-reads each lesson in the text and then likes to see and hear the examples worked by the MWB instructor. It's also good note-taking practice. DS says he really, really likes this program and wants to use it for Algebra II as well.

He's a strong and willing student overall, slightly accelerated in math, and really appreciates Foerster's clear and concise (not wordy) instruction. He gets a kick out of the humorous names and phrases used in the Foerster word problems. A bit of comic relief in the midst of math rigor.  :001_smile: He was public/after-schooled through 3rd grade, used Math Mammoth 4A to 6A, skipped along through MM6B, did a pre-algebra review/reinforcement with most of Derek Owens' pre-algebra, then started Foerster Alg I.

Starting Foerster's Algebra I next month.  This will be used as supplement public school math. DD is taking  trying to skip math grade in public school so she can start PreAP Algebra I  in 7th grade. I really don't know what to expect from PS Algebra I class (very underwhelmed with public middle school math program). They don't have textbooks yet as Texas has changed their TEKS for 2015/20/16 for Algebra through precal.

I am hoping the Foerster I with Mathwithout Borders will be doable with her PS school homework.

Also, she will start April 1st  and go through mid July then be at her Dad's so no more Foerster till she comes home when school starts Aug 24

So if this gets too much, I will rethink this.

Thank you so much everyone!  You all know how tricky it is to find a math curriculum.  Now that I have all these responses, I can start researching them one by one to find out what is a good match for us.  The hive is awesome!  I don't think I could homeschool without you all.

• Like 4

Starting Foerster's Algebra I next month.  This will be used as supplement public school math. DD is taking  trying to skip math grade in public school so she can start PreAP Algebra I  in 7th grade. I really don't know what to expect from PS Algebra I class (very underwhelmed with public middle school math program). They don't have textbooks yet as Texas has changed their TEKS for 2015/20/16 for Algebra through precal.

I am hoping the Foerster I with Mathwithout Borders will be doable with her PS school homework.

Also, she will start April 1st  and go through mid July then be at her Dad's so no more Foerster till she comes home when school starts Aug 24

So if this gets too much, I will rethink this.

Foerster's Algebra 1 is a good text and can be used effectively for self-teaching in a highly motivated, disciplined student.  If you have one of those :), or have the time to sit at the elbow of a student and patiently walk him through each little bit, it might also work.  

For preview purposes, the book can be obtained inexpensively by purchasing an older used copy on Amazon.  The student book gives all odd answers to regular lessons in the back. The solutions manual and MWB DVDs are an investment, so it may be worth doing a preview of the text before jumping all in.  

One thing to consider with a younger student and algebra is that at whatever point the algebra skills are learned, they will have to be well maintained and reviewed to do well on high school exams such as the ACT, which are typically taken towards the end of high school.  Also, my experience with 2 teenagers is that their brains undergo a lot of changes due to hormones and my observation is that this has an impact on math study.  As I talk with other families around me (public school) who have had kids try to push through algebra 1 and 2 in upper middleschool, it seems like it is the number one course of study that kids don't do well in.  Now, we can imagine a lot of reasons for that, and I'm no social scientist, I'm just saying that what I'm observing is a whole lot of stress in trying to force 12 and 13 year olds through algebra 1.  It is no picnic..not for the student and not for the parents.  I look at the math I thought my kids "needed" to do in middle school--and it's the math I didn't attempt until high school!  

Out of my experience, I have decided to set my kids on an algebra course during middle school, but having pushed very hard with the first kid, I thought I would ease up just a  bit with the rest of them.  So yes, I did use Foerster Algebra 1 with a 7th grade boy, but for my daughter coming up behind him, I put her through MUS Algebra 1 and MUS Geometry first and then we will go back to Foerster for her this summer.

Just some thoughts...

• Like 1

Have you considered integrated math?  We use MEP - Mathematics Enrichment Program out of the UK.  It is excellent and FREE.

Ruth in NZ

I have had trouble determining where MEP Algebra 1 course begins.  What year?  Would you be able to post some links.  

I'm just not familiar with UK year (grade) system.  

Thank you

Andrea

Foerster's Algebra 1 is a good text and can be used effectively for self-teaching in a highly motivated, disciplined student.  If you have one of those :), or have the time to sit at the elbow of a student and patiently walk him through each little bit, it might also work.  

For preview purposes, the book can be obtained inexpensively by purchasing an older used copy on Amazon.  The student book gives all odd answers to regular lessons in the back. The solutions manual and MWB DVDs are an investment, so it may be worth doing a preview of the text before jumping all in.  

One thing to consider with a younger student and algebra is that at whatever point the algebra skills are learned, they will have to be well maintained and reviewed to do well on high school exams such as the ACT, which are typically taken towards the end of high school.  Also, my experience with 2 teenagers is that their brains undergo a lot of changes due to hormones and my observation is that this has an impact on math study.  As I talk with other families around me (public school) who have had kids try to push through algebra 1 and 2 in upper middleschool, it seems like it is the number one course of study that kids don't do well in.  Now, we can imagine a lot of reasons for that, and I'm no social scientist, I'm just saying that what I'm observing is a whole lot of stress in trying to force 12 and 13 year olds through algebra 1.  It is no picnic..not for the student and not for the parents.  I look at the math I thought my kids "needed" to do in middle school--and it's the math I didn't attempt until high school!  

Out of my experience, I have decided to set my kids on an algebra course during middle school, but having pushed very hard with the first kid, I thought I would ease up just a  bit with the rest of them.  So yes, I did use Foerster Algebra 1 with a 7th grade boy, but for my daughter coming up behind him, I put her through MUS Algebra 1 and MUS Geometry first and then we will go back to Foerster for her this summer.

Just some thoughts...

Very good advice indeed. My DD is taking her second credit by exam tomorrow and if she passes then she wil be placed in preAP Algebra I when 7th grade starts. She has already passed the first credit by exam required. She is currently in 6th grade preAP middle school math. It is very unchallenging they only are assingned about 12-15 math problems a week for homework. They also do not allow the kids to bring home their "Springboard" workbooks. THey do not have a text book at all. DD took the STAAR  (State of Texas Assessment of Academic Readiness )8th   grade 2014 math  test yesterday as practice for ther CBE that is tomorrow and only missed one question. The CBE is markedly harder than the STAAR.

I really don't know what to do. I don't have to start her in Algebra I in 7th grade. She is on the preAP advanced path right now that would normally have her start preAP (as opposed to regular) Algebra I in 8th grade. 

I have the Foerster 1 textbook, solutions manual and Mathwithoutbords thumbdrive already and we have looked it over (me quit thoroughly).

I believe the first 3 chapters will be a review and probably most of the 4th chapter too. I think the real challange will be in the word problems. I am excited for her to learn more conceptional math and critical thinking. As I think she is strong is performing the operations already.

She really like Derek Owens videos that she has seen on YouTube.  

I could just have her spend another year on middle school math, which I think would bore her. But she does like being the "math smart one in her given class (all girl's school) and be the teacher's helper.  I really don't know if my child is ready or not for the conception jump to preAP algebra I but I will not hesitate to bring in extra help such as a tutor if it is needed.

I just wonder if doing  an extra curricular program such as Foerster  1,  sometype of Geometry, and Foerster II while doing regular PS work will be too much. I guess time will tell. At least with 6th grade, which is her current grade, the homework has been 20-30 minutes a week if that much.

Not that what we used will have any bearing on what works for your DC, but since you asked:

DS#1 = math minded

Algebra 1 = Jacobs

Geometry (2nd ed.) = Jacobs

Algebra 2/Trigonometry = Foerster

DS#2 = math struggler

Algebra 1 = Jacobs

Algebra 1 (round 2) = Math-U-See (MUS)

Geometry = MUS

Algebra 2 = MUS

Homeschool High School Math = a lovely and generous thread compiled by Quark of all of the programs for higher maths. And below is a resource I pulled together for my homeschool group. Cheers! Lori D.

TRADITIONAL PROGRAMS

- Saxon = Pre-Algebra through Calculus; DIVE CDs; Teaching Tape Technology supplemental videos

- Margaret Lial (Lial's) = Pre-Algebra (also a BCM = Basic College Math for Pre-Algebra) through Pre-Calculus; supplement = Digital Video Tutor

- Bob Jones University Press (BJ, or, BJUP) = Pre-Algebra through Pre-Calc; optional DVD lessons

- Abeka  = Pre-Algebra through Pre-Calc; optional DVD lessons

- Ron Larson (Larson) = Pre-Algebra through Calculus; online support

- Paul Foerster (Foerster's) = Algebra 1 through Pre-Calc/Trig; supplement = Math without Borders DVDs

- Mary Dolciani (Dolciani) = Algebra 1 and Algebra 2; very rigorous

- Harold Jacobs (Jacobs) = Algebra 1 and Geometry; supplement = Dr. Callahan DVDs

NON-TRADITIONAL PROGRAMS

Math-Challenged Students

Math-U-See (MUS) =  online co-op classes; Pre-Algebra to Pre-Calculus + "Stewardship" Personal Finance; mastery; visual presentation; manipulative-based

Teaching Textbooks (TT) = Pre-Algebra to Pre-Calculus; video for every problem; gentle pace — need  first part of Pre-Calc for rest of Alg. 2 topics

Life of Fred (LoF) = Pre-Algebra to Statistics; story problems; real-life-based

Advanced / STEM Students

Art of Problem Solving (AoPS) = online classes available; Pre-Algebra to Calculus; very rigorous; heavy problem-solving emphasis

Singapore: New Elementary Math (NEM) = out of print as of 2014   /  Cybershala (online classes) -- (Algebra through Advanced Math (Pre-Calc./Trig) as integrated topics; Asian-based; heavy problem-solving emphasis)

Chalkdust (CD) = Algebra 1 to Calculus; video-based lessons 

- Mary Dolciani (Dolciani) = Algebra 1 and Algebra 2; very rigorous

VISUAL LESSONS / TUTORIALS

DVD or CD-Rom Programs

Chalkdust (CD) = Algebra 1 to Calculus; video-based lessons 

Videotext = Algebra 1 to Pre-Calculus; online help option

Math-U-See (MUS) =  online co-op classes; Pre-Algebra to Pre-Calculus + "Stewardship" Personal Finance; mastery; visual presentation; manipulative-based

Teaching Textbooks (TT) = Pre-Algebra to Pre-Calculus; video for every problem; gentle pace — need  first part of Pre-Calc for rest of Alg. 2 topics

Kinetic Books (digital traditional textbook with animations, interactive simulations, etc)

Switched On Schoolhouse (SOS) (from Alpha Omega (AO)) -- Algebra 1 through Pre-Calculus (CD roms, OR, as  "Life Pac" workbooks)

Bob Jones University (BJU), DVD distance learning

Visual Instructional Supplements (video/DVD tutorials or lessons)

Khan Academy — free video tutorials on topics in Pre-Algebra through Statistics

Online Math Learning — free video tutorials/articles, Pre-Algebra through Statistics

HippoCampus — free tutorials, Algebra through Statistics

Math Relief (Algebra 1 and Algebra 2)

Mastering Algebra DVDs by Art Reed

Visual Tutorials — SAT Test Math Prep

College Board (free explanations)

Khan Academy — free video tutorials

search on YouTube for "SAT Math Tips" or "SAT Math Strategies" 

Online Courses

My Homeschool Math Class, Jann Perkins — online class lecture / interaction

Derek Owens — online class lecture & interaction (Pre-Alg. to Calculus and AP)

Live Online Math — classes, workshops, tutoring

more options: Potter's School; Scholars Online; Veritas Scholars; Landry Academy; Stanford Ed. Program for Gifted Youth...

Self-Paced Tutorials 

ALEKS — Pre-Algebra through Pre-Calc/Trig.

Thinkwell — Pre-Algebra through Calculus

Tablet Class — Pre-Alg. to Alg. 2

• Like 3

Kareni,

I would love if he would share his thoughts about the statistics standards. When I review the lists of standards on our state education website, they look very different from most traditional textbooks. 

Hello Amy,

I asked my husband about this earlier today.  The students in the classes he teaches with Lial's are homeschooled students.  Many go to the local community college  where they earn an Associate's degree before transferring to the state university; therefore, they are not impacted by the common core standards.  That said, he does feel that an education in Statistics is valuable.  My husband also tutors students who attend public and private schools, so he has seen a variety of textbooks.  He feels that their treatment of Statistics is often poorly done. 

Our daughter took AP Statistics through Pennsylvania Homeschoolers in 12th grade.  She has stated that it was one of her two most valuable high school classes.  She went on to minor in Latin at college, but she frequently encountered a need for Statistics in the Geology classes she took for her minor.

Regards,

Kareni

I have had trouble determining where MEP Algebra 1 course begins. What year? Would you be able to post some links.

I'm just not familiar with UK year (grade) system.

Thank you

Andrea

The UK system is integrated, so each year you study algebra, geometry, discrete math, and statistics. After singapore 6, we started MEP at year 8, and only had to backt track to year 7 for the probability unit and logic unit ( each about 10 days). So there is no single year of algebra. By the time you hit 10th grade you would have completed the material for a class in algebra 1 , geometry, stats, and discrete math (or something like that).

What my son likes about the program is:

The two week rotation between topics,

the unit tests every 6 weeks ( so he has to review),

the activities (hour long investigations),

and the variety of levels of problems within each unit so he can go at the right level for him within each unit.

Ruth in NZ

• Like 2

My son (13) is using Life of Fred (LOF) Beginning Algebra with Zillions of Practice Problems. We are working through it together. We've tried Saxon, TT, LIFEPAC and a few others before landing on LOF. It works well for him (he is an struggling/avg student) such as in pre-alg fractions never stuck. He does the Zillions of Practice Problems on his own, I check the work. We do a lesson a day and that works out to finishing the book in about 6-9 months. I do type a test using the last page of each chapters Zillions of Practice Problems. It's a good fit and we plan to use it all the way through Pre-Cal/Trig. We will include Test Prep for the SAT or ACT separate so he is use to multiple choice questions/timed tests in a few years. 

My daughter (12) is using LIFEPAC 9 Algebra I. She did 3 units in their 8th grade Pre-Algeba and was ready for LIFEPAC 9. She is doing all high school level work and plans to graduate high school early; she is thinking of going to an engineering/design college so we went with an honor algebra.

It's a good program but VERY heavy reading in math terms and concepts along with practice problems. It's an HONORS math class. It's a self-teaching course, which works great with my daughter. The teacher's manual is very helpful not just giving the answers but it works on each problem so you can check your student's work. They have built in reviews which are helpful. If she misses any problems she re-works them. 

We teach math for mastery. We do allow both children to use calculators (good practice for SAT/ACT). 

• Like 1