Menu

I recommend that you pull a credit report and make sure there aren't any loans on it. 

I get mixed up with my sister all of the time. Her middle name is my first name (I have no idea why my mom did that), we obviously have a past address in common and we went to the same college. It can be very frustrating.

• Like 7

I occasionally get legitimate emails intended for someone else with a similar email address. I'm guessing it's a typo.

Check your credit files if you're worried about the loans, but I wouldn't expect someone committing a fraud to use your email address; they would use your SS# with their own email.

• Like 1

My email that I use is not in any way near my name. There is a chick in TX that uses a similar name with numbers at the end. The email is a shortened version of her first and last name. I've gotten emails from her setting up internet, reminders for doc apts, some guy trying to set up a date with her, receipts for online purchases, and other random stuff. I write to the important people that they have her email address wrong. The dude just gets deleted as I figure she intentionally gave him the wrong address. LOL!

• Like 3

I get those types of misdirected emails several times a year at my Gmail address that's my first name and middle name. I got a medical invoice and even got someone's flight booking details once! I'd just ignore them unless you are the person identified in the email. Keep an eye on your credit.

• Like 1

Guest submarines

Something similar happened to my daughter. Her email address is two unrelated words, like "starrymeadow." About a year ago she received an email that her registration to girl scouts in Texas (we are in Canada) was now complete (or something like that). I googled, found the leaders, and informed them of the mistake. Then a month later she received an email that her photos were ready to be picked up from a pharmacy in Texas. I emailed the pharmacy to let them know about it.

Nothing since then. I can't see how this could be a scam or fraud. I think just someone's mistake.

• Like 1

Honestly, if the company was legit, I would ask them to look up my social to see if it had been used and go from there. If it wasn't the same social, then you know it's probably the email typo. 
However, I'd still keep a close watch on your credit report to make sure it's not a security breach. 

• Like 1

Something similar happened to my daughter. Her email address is two unrelated words, like "starrymeadow." About a year ago she received an email that her registration to girl scouts in Texas (we are in Canada) was now complete (or something like that). I googled, found the leaders, and informed them of the mistake. Then a month later she received an email that her photos were ready to be picked up from a pharmacy in Texas. I emailed the pharmacy to let them know about it.

Nothing since then. I can't see how this could be a scam or fraud. I think just someone's mistake.

Ds1 also had an email issue. His email was the name of a military equipment with the numeral 1. Someone else had the same name with the number spelled out afterward. DS1 got an angry email from some woman who was upset that he--the other guy, of course, as ds was only 13yo at the time--hadn't called or emailed her back--or something like that. She'd sent the email to both addresses just to be sure, I guess. :rolleyes:  

I get emails for three different people, two are in England and one is in Canada. I'm in contact with two of them and forward any important emails. For the last person I was getting emails from the realtor. I emailed the realtor and told them they were sending listings to the wrong email address.

• 73349 changed the title to .