Menu

A little help with math please...

So dd is working through AoPS.  We've finished PreA and Intro to A.  We're starting Intro to Geometry in the next month or so.  In working through AoPS, it was often helpful to have another, more traditional, textbook on hand if we hit a bump in the road.  For PreA, we had Lial's and for algebra we had Foerster's 1 and 2.  We used these as both reference and to check retention at different points.  

Can anyone recommend a Geometry text that we can use in the same way?   I've seen Jacobs and Jurgensen mentioned here.  I happen to have Glencoe from a friend who was getting rid of some things.  I don't really like the Glencoe book.  I think dd will find it busy and confusing.  She likes the straightforward look/presentation of AoPS.

Any suggestions?

I have both Jacobs and Jurgensen on hand for the same reason.  It's always nice to have something hanging around just in case.  Generally, I like them both.  Jurgensen is probably available cheaper as there are many editions.

AoPS is so much deeper with regard to specific topics that, FWIW, I didn't find the extra Jacobs and Jurgensen texts useful when I was helping dd search for a little more guidance; it's easier to google, to the extent that the issue is understanding the geometry "tools" and not the problem solving (if that makes sense).  The necessary tools are in the AoPS text, but at least for the on-line class, some of the problems are quite difficult, as one would expect from AoPS :).

• Like 1

I have both Jacobs and Jurgensen on hand for the same reason. It's always nice to have something hanging around just in case. Generally, I like them both. Jurgensen is probably available cheaper as there are many editions.

My dd is finishing up the AoPS Intro to Geometry class. AoPS is so much deeper with regard to specific topics that, FWIW, I didn't find the extra Jacobs and Jurgensen texts useful when I was helping her search for a little more guidance; it's easier to google, to the extent that the issue is understanding the geometry "tools" and not the problem solving (if that makes sense). The necessary tools are in the AoPS text, but at least for the on-line class, some of the problems are quite difficult, as one would expect from AoPS :).

Thanks Wapiti. We'll be going through the book ourselves at the pace of mere mortals😜. Dd loves AoPS and we probably won't have significant issues. I do have a tutor on deck should we need it. When dd hit a bump, it was helpful to say, "Look at Foerster's section xxxx and see if you understand it from a different angle." I guess you're right though; it is a Google search away. I'll look around for Jurgensen and see if I can find a good deal. She didn't like Jacobs Algebra so I'd probably do well to steer clear of that one. Thanks for your help.