Menu

Question about eating

Night Elf

Next time you're in the store, read the labels.  You want a peanut butter that contains peanuts and salt, and nothing else.  You will have to read a lot of labels, and pay a bit more, but you should be able to find one.  Don't overlook the store brand; sometimes it's surprisingly decent.

Fat and protein snacks or meals I like include avocado, nuts, olives, nut butters, guacamole and veggies, cottage cheese or greek yogurt (unsweetened), hardboiled egg dipped in homemade mayo with some hot sauce added.  Deviled eggs or deviled eggs using guacamole, cumin, a little chili powder instead of mayo.  Coffee with cream or bulletproof coffee.

A burger plus a little guac or other healthy fat and a salad. Leftover protein from dinner (chicken thigh or drumstick for ex). Broth (homemade) with 2 whisked eggs drizzled in just til cooked.  Scrambled eggs.

• Like 1

Natural pb may freak out the OP's family if they are not used to it. My oldest never liked it, even a little, because of Jiff for the first four years of her life. I avoid trans fats like the plague so I don't do anything but Adams. I love Adams. It is worth the money in my book. Costco sells a very good Kirkland natural peanut butter that we use in our cookies for the restaurant, though.

• Like 1

what's with the salt you guys? The unsalted is just fine. It doesn't need salt. :confused1:

healthy fats for me are nuts & seeds & a small bit of evoo

single protein sources are nuts, seeds, legumes, tofu, tempeh. Lots of people like edemame but I haven't quite got there. I like roast chickpeas though!

• Like 3

It is healthy!

Way healthier than margarine. 

Oh, I agree completely. But, "modern nutrition" has totally screwed over our thinking, so many still think that margarine is healthy...nasty nasty nasty!

I remember thinking my dad was nuts when he wanted us to start eating real butter. Now, I can't imagine anything else. 

Oh, I agree completely. But, "modern nutrition" has totally screwed over our thinking, so many still think that margarine is healthy...nasty nasty nasty!

I remember thinking my dad was nuts when he wanted us to start eating real butter. Now, I can't imagine anything else. 

I totally agree with the bold, but I'm trying to learn what's what. Do you have a favorite book or website on nutrition to recommend?

what's with the salt you guys? The unsalted is just fine. It doesn't need salt. :confused1:

healthy fats for me are nuts & seeds & a small bit of evoo

single protein sources are nuts, seeds, legumes, tofu, tempeh. Lots of people like edemame but I haven't quite got there. I like roast chickpeas though!

Honestly I do the salt because for whatever reason it is significantly cheaper than pb without salt. I have no reason to avoid salt. If I needed to I'd pay the extra for no salt

I totally agree with the bold, but I'm trying to learn what's what. Do you have a favorite book or website on nutrition to recommend?

Not really. But, I do like Mommypotamus.com, againstallgrain.com (more for recipes), mindbodygreen.com, etc 

A pp mentioned Nourishing Traditions. I've heard lots of great things about that as well. 

• Like 1

I would say that naturally saturated fats should be on the "healthy" list too. Coconut oil, full-fat dairy products, and yes even <gasp!> fatty cuts of meat :lol: are all staples at my house. It's only hydrogenated (trans) saturated fats that are problematic.

And personally I limit my intake of polyunsaturated fats, though I realize that's the opposite of what we've all been told to do.

• Like 7

I swear by lard and real butter.

Saturated fats like these, as well as avocado, coconut oil, nuts, and cheese - those are wonderful for me. The only fats I avoid are the unstable ones prone to rancidity or already hydrogenated.

this vegan is feeling out of place.....

Hey, the rest of us are still evolving. :D

I couldn't resist, but should probably duck now!

After the infamous thread that got locked, I decided to put myself back on my plan, logging my foods as well as walking.

If I eat somewhere around 40% carbs for me, 25-30% fat, and the rest in quality protein, I am usually able to keep my cravings in check. My fats are usually a bit of olive oil, an egg, some avocado, and a bit of peanut butter and whatever occurs in the salmon or beans or whatever else I am having. Avocado seems to really help ease my stomach if I am eating a bunch of salad or raw veggies. Every meal I eat, I usually try to include all three nutrients. 

The key is to really listen to your body when you eat and to try and figure out why it's responding the way it does.

I am an emotional eater and we have had enough drama around here to send me into a full scale sugar binge. I did have a piece of left-over birthday cheesecake, but i immediately followed it with protein and I was able to stop at one piece and stay where I wanted to be for the day on calories and nutrition. Usually, once I start with the sugar, it's all over.  It's taken me a while to to figure things out, but this is a combo that I can eat long range/rest of my life and feel emotionally good on. For me, high quality food with equally high nutritional value is key along with balancing the fat, protein, and carbs.

• Like 1

Okay, next question. What do you do with coconut oil? We use it on dry skin. I have no idea how to cook with it. I can't think of anything I cook that requires oil.

You can use it in place of any cooking oil.  You can use it in bake goods instead of shortening.  Some people put some in their coffee.  Although I don't care for that. 

• Like 2

That book I mentioned on my other thread (17 day diet) has a lot of good nutrition info in it. It is a rapid weight loss plan, so the first 17 days are pretty restrictive but the next cycle adds in more high protein fatty foods... I have done it a few times before and it really does make me feel better. I am on day two... Just had my hot lemon water and then my black coffee...

I am a carb addict and sometimes have to reset my brain and body....I love so many good fat foods though that I have to also be careful with those or I gain weight. I love nuts and avocados and beans and cheese.

I am trying to get to April 3rd on this first cycle.

• Like 1

That book I mentioned on my other thread (17 day diet) has a lot of good nutrition info in it. It is a rapid weight loss plan, so the first 17 days are pretty restrictive but the next cycle adds in more high protein fatty foods... I have done it a few times before and it really does make me feel better. I am on day two... Just had my hot lemon water and then my black coffee...

I am a carb addict and sometimes have to reset my brain and body....I love so many good fat foods though that I have to also be careful with those or I gain weight. I love nuts and avocados and beans and cheese.

I am trying to get to April 3rd on this first cycle.

I'm intrigued.  Is there any quick start guide out there so I don't have to read the book?

Coconut oil and coconut meat. You can grind these up in a food processor with some almonds and a bit of honey then firm into balls and freeze. Some people might drizzle then with melted dark chocolate after that, but it's really all about the fat. ;) we call them Coco Balls but I think they might be similar to the idea (not the evils of) Almond Joys. ??? ;)

I'm intrigued. Is there any quick start guide out there so I don't have to read the book?

Basically

Start your day with half a lemon in 8 oz hot water

All of lean protein you want

Fish, chicken breast, tuna fish

2 eggs per day

All veggies you want (the list is huge but no potatoes or corn or beans)

2 probiotics per day

2 fruit per day (some are off limits...no bananas) apples, pears, oranges all berries are allowed.

64 ounces of water.

Green tea is good

Black coffee ok, but doesn't count toward your water

No alcohol....:(

That is mostly it.

• Like 1

Basically

Start your day with half a lemon in 8 oz hot water

All of lean protein you want

Fish, chicken breast, tuna fish

2 eggs per day

All veggies you want (the list is huge but no potatoes or corn or beans)

2 probiotics per day

2 fruit per day (some are off limits...no bananas) apples, pears, oranges all berries are allowed.

64 ounces of water.

Green tea is good

Black coffee ok, but doesn't count toward your water

No alcohol....:(

That is mostly it.

I love the sad face! I guess if that's what you're eating then you need booze.

• Like 1

Natural pb may freak out the OP's family if they are not used to it. My oldest never liked it, even a little, because of Jiff for the first four years of her life. I avoid trans fats like the plague so I don't do anything but Adams. I love Adams. It is worth the money in my book. Costco sells a very good Kirkland natural peanut butter that we use in our cookies for the restaurant, though.

Adams is THE BEST!

• Like 1

Ok, I am reading along in this thread while my kitty cat is sitting here keeping me company.  She is obsessed with Sparkly's dancing bacon and every time I scroll and it shows up she tries to get it. She sees it, sit up at attention, actually gets ON the keyboard and tries to get the bacon.  It is so cute and funny but she does weird stuff to my computer when she sits on the keyboard. Seriously, stuff happened and things showed up on my screen that I have never seen. :huh:

So, Miss Kitty votes for bacon!   :laugh:

• Like 2