Menu

Dr Hive, women only, sorry way TMI

SKL

I'm 48 and seemed to be in perimenopause.  This week and also 2 weeks ago, I have been having a lot of bleeding, after 2 months of no or very light periods.  Actually the bleeding really never stopped over at least 3 weeks, but it was light in the in-between week.  This week it has been very heavy for a few days.

So I called the HMO nurse and she contacted her people and they say I need to be seen today.  I can either go to emergency, or go to their OB-GYN at a more distant office.  I have an appointment with the OB-GYN at 2:50.

So.  What are they likely to do at this office visit?  Or if I go to emergency, what are they likely to do there?

I am a single mom and my kids come home from school about 3:45.  I have someone who can be here for them, but I don't want to be gone too long.  Help me to understand what I need to prepare for.

Thanks!

They make a bigger deal out of this stuff than I think is warranted.  When I went some years ago they just checked me out and that was that.  I suppose it is good to be sure, but it's probably nothing.

If you can go to the office visit instead that will save you a lot of time. 

Could you get your kids out of school early and just take them with you?  It's impossible to say how long it will take because they might be squeezing you in. 

• Like 5

Yeah, I'm a little shocked that they wanted you to go to the ER! I just went through a phase where I bled for weeks, and all my dr. said was, "Well, let's put a stop to that. One week a month is bad enough!" 

I don't know exactly what your doctor would do, but I'd say they'll assess you (ask for dates, ages, etc.), probably give you a prescription for a progesterone supplement to put a stop to the bleeding temporarily, and start the process on running hormone tests. I could be wrong, but this is what mine did for me. 

ETA: Oh, and they'll probably want iron levels too. I was terribly anemic when they ran mine, but it's very likely I was anemic before the bleeding even started because I was on long-term acid-reflux meds. 

• Like 3

I had pretty much this same exact scenario happen to me about 3 years ago.  I went 3 months without a period, then when I started, I bled for about 4 weeks, very heavily pretty much the entire time.  It wasn't a huge deal.  They put me on the birth control to stop the bleeding (3 pills for 3 days, 2 pills for 2 days, and then finish the pack).  I will admit the pills made me throw up a lot for the first two days (that's a lot of hormones all of a sudden). It regulated my bleeding.  I stayed on the pill for 3 years because it was helping my cystic acne so much.  But then I started having too many side effects, so I quit and have been fine without it.  This happens to A LOT of women...it's really not a big deal usually.  I seem to remember someone here using a progesterone cream, that they bought online, and that regulated them....don't know for sure.

That is extremely common. I think they're probably erring on the way safe side. You may ask about the benefits of ablation while you are there, especially if you have another long and heavy stretch of bleeding that is interfering with your life or causing other problems.

I had pretty much this same exact scenario happen to me about 3 years ago.  I went 3 months without a period, then when I started, I bled for about 4 weeks, very heavily pretty much the entire time.  It wasn't a huge deal.  They put me on the birth control to stop the bleeding (3 pills for 3 days, 2 pills for 2 days, and then finish the pack).  I will admit the pills made me throw up a lot for the first two days (that's a lot of hormones all of a sudden). It regulated my bleeding.  I stayed on the pill for 3 years because it was helping my cystic acne so much.  But then I started having too many side effects, so I quit and have been fine without it.  This happens to A LOT of women...it's really not a big deal usually.  I seem to remember someone here using a progesterone cream, that they bought online, and that regulated them....don't know for sure.

Hey, that's almost exactly what I just went through! Yeah, the BCPs were the pits.

Yes to progesterone cream--do some research on it (SKL, that is, not you, earthyfamily!). It's not for everyone, but it has been a great help to many women, including people I know IRL. Estroven Emerita is the most highly (or at least commonly) recommended one.

Edited to correct the brand!

• Like 1

Hey, that's almost exactly what I just went through! Yeah, the BCPs were the pits.

Yes to progesterone cream--do some research on it (SKL, that is, not you, earthyfamily!). It's not for everyone, but it has been a great help to many women, including people I know IRL. Estroven is the most highly (or at least commonly) recommended one.

Estroven makes a progesterone cream?

Now I feel dumb, but I feel like I need to go because it's interfering with my ability to do important things like work and exercise.  Plus a friend told me her sister was hospitalized because it made her so anemic.  Yipes.  I got no time for that.

I've been having similar issues. I'm 45.

I can't imagine going to the ER for it. Way too much time and money for something that is fairly common. 

I talked to my dr. about it. She's about my same age. She said it is very common at this age going into perimenapause. She said if it was really affecting the quality of my life, we could talk ablation.

I would definitely opt for the office visit.

Since this is an HMO ER, I'm told it tends to be a much faster turnaround because random people off the street tend to go to the main hospital ERs.

I too was surprised when they said "emergent" but I figure, there is no such thing as a good time to go to the doctor, especially for woman stuff.  :/

• Like 2

Aren't you the poster who hasn't had a Pap smear in several years? I'm assuming they'll do a physical exam, then ask you to go back to your doctor for a Pap smear later. It's possible they will want to do a vaginsl ultrasound. Most likely, tho, they will attribute it to your age and typical peri menopausal symptoms.

When I went to the ER a few years ago for bleeding( long after menopause) they did nothing but a physical check up and set up a visit with a gynecologist/ultrasound. There really is nothing much the ER can do, tho, so I'm a bit surprised it was offered.

Actually, as luck would have it, I did go to their gyno last November just to check something odd - because woman cancers run in my family and I was a little concerned.  They found nothing, said I was "very healthy," did a pap smear and AFAIK it's all great.

Now I'm glad I did that, because hopefully they won't try to do all that to me in my current condition.

• Like 1

I really don't want to do hormones, but I guess it's better than what's happening now.

If you're anti hormones, I really suggest ablation then. Low risk of side effects and quite helpful for bleeding issues. I haven't heard ard any personal negative reports, all the women I know who hav gone that route to assist with excess bleeding at the end of the reproductive years have said it was the best choice they made.

If you're still ovulating you will likely need to use birth control, though barrier methods should suffice.

Actually, as luck would have it, I did go to their gyno last November just to check something odd - because woman cancers run in my family and I was a little concerned.  They found nothing, said I was "very healthy," did a pap smear and AFAIK it's all great.

Now I'm glad I did that, because hopefully they won't try to do all that to me in my current condition.

It's very unlikely. I believe you can't be more than spotting for a Pap, and they wanted me not bleeding during my vaginal US too. At this point all they should do is run tests, make sure you're not having some kind of miscarriage or other major event, and try to figure out what to give you to stop the bleeding.

It hasn't happened to me, but it is so very common that I probably wouldn't even go in.

I am not anti-hormone, though, and would recommend that you do whatever you need to do to get them if you need them and don't beat yourself up over it.

• Like 1

Don't panic.  They just need to make sure you are okay.  What you are describing is not uncommon -- I myself went through two separate periods that lasted for abut 6 months each.  The causes for the prolonged flow can be many and varied, so they need to see you to determine what is going on and how best to help you (if you even need it).  ER's do get suggested if they think someone needs to be seen soon and might not be able to get a prompt appointment somewhere else.

DO talk to them about iron supplements or intake -- you may need extra while this is going on, but you don't want to get too much.  Aside from that, see what they have to tell you after they have made their determinations.

Peri-menopause is different for everyone, so what someone you know or are related to went through is not much (if any) indication of what you yourself will experience.  Be prepared to be taken by surprise.  Be prepared for this to take a while.  Pamper yourself when you can, and if you don't feel well speak up and make your excuses & back out of social engagements.  Sometimes it can be like going through a hellish period, even when there is little or no flow.

I've been told that the official determination of menopause (vs. peri) is made once the woman has gone through 12 months of no flow.  If that is the case I can be officially declared this next winter, if my flow doesn't start up again.  It has been quiet for a few months, but it has done that before.

Mine stopped for nine months and then I had one in February, AMJ. Just a heads' up.

SKL,  I wish I'd been able to take hormones during Peri even though my mother is a cancer survivor and my grandmother didn't survive so my doctor wouldn't let me.

I'd rather have 100 outdoor unplanned unmedicated unassisted births  than go through peri again. Please be kind to yourself.

I'm 48 and seemed to be in perimenopause.  This week and also 2 weeks ago, I have been having a lot of bleeding, after 2 months of no or very light periods.  Actually the bleeding really never stopped over at least 3 weeks, but it was light in the in-between week.  This week it has been very heavy for a few days.

So I called the HMO nurse and she contacted her people and they say I need to be seen today.  I can either go to emergency, or go to their OB-GYN at a more distant office.  I have an appointment with the OB-GYN at 2:50.

So.  What are they likely to do at this office visit?  Or if I go to emergency, what are they likely to do there?

I am a single mom and my kids come home from school about 3:45.  I have someone who can be here for them, but I don't want to be gone too long.  Help me to understand what I need to prepare for.

Thanks!

Heavy bleeding is very normal in perimenopause.  I remember one day I poured out clots and awful stuff for half an hour.  I'm just fine and never went to the doctor about it.  Periods got close together around your age and heavy, heavy, heavy...then further apart, skipping month, then two or three.  Then they stopped in my early/mid fifties.  All was well and normal, but a little scary because I had not experienced it and no woman in my family had experienced it (all hysterectomies, or dead now). 

Of course, if your gut is telling this is scary and abnormal for you, then go be seen. 

Mine stopped for nine months and then I had one in February, AMJ. Just a heads' up.

SKL,  I wish I'd been able to take hormones during Peri even though my mother is a cancer survivor and my grandmother didn't survive so my doctor wouldn't let me.

I'd rather have 100 outdoor unplanned unmedicated unassisted births  than go through peri again. Please be kind to yourself.

LOL, seriously?

It wasn't THAT bad...except I hated all people, but that passes.  ;) 

• Like 1

LOL, seriously?

It wasn't THAT bad...except I hated all people, but that passes.  ;)

I might need to reword that if SKL is an earth mama type who misunderstands that I don't want 100 kids, I meant that I would rather rip my still-beating heart out with my bare hands and give it to Adolf Hitler to use for toilet paper.

I don't hate my son and he is biologically human so I guess it could be worse.

<weak smile that is, nevertheless, a smile >

• Like 1

I might need to reword that if SKL is an earth mama type who misunderstands that I don't want 100 kids, I meant that I would rather rip my still-beating heart out with my bare hands and give it to Adolf Hitler to use for toilet paper.

I don't hate my son and he is biologically human so I guess it could be worse.

<weak smile that is, nevertheless, a smile >

:lol:

Hope you are well.

FWIW, I have a friend who didn't have a period for years.  Years.  And then started having some very heavy flow.  They asked her to come in for an appt right away (not ER though), and it's all okay.  Part of the menopause process.  She's 46.  

Fingers crossed that it's the same for you.

Hope you are well.

FWIW, I have a friend who didn't have a period for years.  Years.  And then started having some very heavy flow.  They asked her to come in for an appt right away (not ER though), and it's all okay.  Part of the menopause process.  She's 46.  

Fingers crossed that it's the same for you.

I can beat that!  My mom started her period again when she was 80!  Obviously she went to the doctor right away.  She told me that feminine supplies sure had changed a lot from when she had last had to use them!   :laugh:   (I think she had a D & C and it went away again.)

Sorry for the rabbit trail, SKL.  I hope you're back home again and got some help.  

• Like 1

I can beat that!  My mom started her period again when she was 80!  Obviously she went to the doctor right away.  She told me that feminine supplies sure had changed a lot from when she had last had to use them!   :laugh:   (I think she had a D & C and it went away again.)

Sorry for the rabbit trail, SKL.  I hope you're back home again and got some help.  

Oh no, that's just REALLY not fair!

• Like 1

80!  Aaaack!  Your poor mom!  That is just. not. fair.

SKL, hope you got good news.

• Like 1

Hi guys!  Thanks for all the advice and anecdotes.  Gosh, I am sorry to hear some of you had such rotten experiences during perimenopause.

Well, I was only there for like 2.5 hours, so it could have been worse.  Wouldn't you know that the minute I walked through the door, the bleeding slowed down.  If I'd known it would do that, I would have gone in there a lot sooner.  :P

The main thing I wanted them to do was check my blood levels for anemia, which they did (as well as urine), and they said all my levels were perfectly normal.  Basically I am the picture of health, ha ha, chemically at least.  That was good to know.

They talked about putting me on birth control to reduce the bleeding, but then they talked to the HMO's OB-GYN people and they said they want to do an "endometrial biopsy" first.  They say I should make an appointment for that ASAP, but I am not in a big hurry.  I will consider it if I have another spell like I've had this week.

They did give me a pregnancy test, ha ha.  Whatever.  I guess they have to do that.

I will go back to telling myself "here's hoping the worst is over" and power through.

• Like 3

Thanks for the update! I was thinking about you :grouphug:

That is wonderful news on being chemically normal. Anemia is nothing to mess around with. Keep us posted on your appointment and biopsy :)