Menu

Has anyone used CLE for Alg I, II, and Geometry?

Garga

Please help!  I'm having a hard time finding out information about CLE for Alg I, II, and Geometry.

Most of the threads or reviews I see are older threads for when the Alg I was brand new and being tested (a couple of years ago).  Some threads said there was no Alg II being offered or Geometry, but they are now (?).  Maybe I was misreading that?

I adore CLE for my 4th grader and need to switch math next year for my 8th grader who will be doing Alg I. I am hoping to use CLE if it's a good program.

If you've used CLE for Alg I, II, and/or Geometry, please tell me what it's like: strengths, weaknesses.  When did you use it?  Did it set your child up for SAT/ACT tests/college well?

My son doesn't hate math but doesn't love it either.  We don't need an easy math program and we don't need a hard one.  We need a nice, solid middle of the road math curric.

And I would like him to understand the why's of what he's doing.  Does CLE Alg and Geometry do a good job of teaching why?

If you stopped using CLE for alg/geometry, why?  What did you move to?

https://www.clp.org/store/by_subject/4

While you wait for a response (I'm interested too :) ), you might give him the placement tests and see where he would end up.  He might need to start at Level 700 or 800 and that might affect your decision, although CLE so far has been pretty easy to accelerate for us.  As I understand it, level 700 and 800 give a student an excellent base for going into Algebra I but I don't know how good the upper levels of CLE are.  Like you, I have found older threads that don't reflect knowledge of the current program.

Algebra 2 and Geometry exist, but they have not been updated into the Sunrise Edition like the rest of CLE. I thought they were going to update Geometry after Algebra 1, but I haven't heard anything new for a couple years. It seems the old version is not well liked.

I think there are a couple posters here who have used Algebra 1. I'd like to know what the users are thinking of it too. Lack of reviews for the Algebra program was one of the reasons we moved away from CLE, but it might be a good fit for one of my younger kids.

My other reasons for switching out of CLE were - I wanted to move into something that we could continue through high school math. My dd was ready for more challenge; CLE has always been easy for her. That was a good thing when she was younger, but she enjoys more challenge now. I moved into AoPS Prealgebra after CLE 6. If you don't go with CLE, you should be able to go into any PreA after CLE 6 or any Algebra after CLE 8 (maybe even 7).

Ok--I guess I didn't understand that what I"m seeing as CLE geometry and algebra II isn't actually CLE?  It's under their name and website and looks like all the others, but it's actually Alpha Omega geo and alg II?  

Now that I look I see they mention AO when I read the description of each level.   It reads:  The teacher’s guide developed by Alpha Omega Publications shows how each problem is solved, but these solutions do not always match the revised CLE LightUnits. 

Since it says "revised CLE lightunits" does that mean that CLE changed things a lot and it's not really AOP anymore?  I guess I could research what people think of Alpha Omega algebra and geometry. Does AOP still make algebra and geometry or did they hand it over to CLE to do with as they will?

Aaaack!  I hate researching math curric. There's always a roadblock or problem with every curric.  (Not really, I suppose, but it feels that way.)

• Like 1

Only algebra 1 is sunrise; the others are AOP. I'm NOT a fan of AOP, as much as I love CLE, so we will leave CLE's math after algebra 1.

What's wrong with AOP?  Are the things wrong with it fixed by CLE?  They talk about how the AOP teacher's guide won't always match the CLE workbooks.  Why not? Is it because they fixed what ever people didn't like about AOP?

Maybe we should look at Saxon.  I just know that some people adore Saxon and others detest it.  I was hoping to get something that the vast majority love and hope it works for us, too.  I do NOT want to buy a curric and then realize we hate it 4 months in and have to start over with something else.  

Only algebra 1 is sunrise; the others are AOP. I'm NOT a fan of AOP, as much as I love CLE, so we will leave CLE's math after algebra 1.

Alpha Omega Publications not Art of Problem solving, right?  I guess Art of Problem Solving is written as AoPS and Alpha Omega Publications is AOP?

I just glance at the website and it seems they are saying the current Algebra I is Light Unit Based but they are in the process of converting to a full color textbook using these light units as the base in a few years.  I guess after they finish that they will tackle the other levels?  That is disappointing.  Maybe full color light units but I really don't want a textbook and it they are planning on the process taking years and years to complete, then maybe jumping ship after Level 800 would be better.

AimeeM, have you been using Algebra I yet?  I can't recall.  If so, how have you liked it?

Maybe we should look at Saxon.  I just know that some people adore Saxon and others detest it.  I was hoping to get something that the vast majority love and hope it works for us, too.  I do NOT want to buy a curric and then realize we hate it 4 months in and have to start over with something else.  

If you want to test out Saxon Algebra, I highly recommend enrolling in the at your own pace course here and doing the first 5-10 lessons. It will give you a good feel for the way Saxon works without the 30 problem a day slog and without buying a textbook until you're sure you'll use it. The handpicked exercises give enough practice without drowning the student imho.

http://www.virtualhomeschoolgroup.com/course/category.php?id=65

• Like 2

If you want to test out Saxon Algebra, I highly recommend enrolling in the at your own pace course here and doing the first 5-10 lessons. It will give you a good feel for the way Saxon works without the 30 problem a day slog and without buying a textbook until you're sure you'll use it. The handpicked exercises give enough practice without drowning the student imho.

http://www.virtualhomeschoolgroup.com/course/category.php?id=65

Thank you.  Thirty problem a day slog, huh?  Sounds like you don't like Saxon.   :tongue_smilie:

We just finished using CLE's new Sunrise Edition Algebra I. It is the same format as the 100-800 series with clearly defined lessons for each day and built in spiral review, quizzes, and tests.  The higher level CLE math courses have not been revised and are based on Alpha Omega's courses. They do not have clear daily lessons or the spiral review. The explanations are not as clearly written as the Sunrise editions. For these reasons, it's generally not popular and I would agree there are better options out there.  

As to the new edition of Algebra I, I would recommend it to anyone who has had success using CLE at the earlier levels. It is very much the same thing in terms of rigor and presentation. It definitely covers all the standard Algebra I topics (including the gamut of word problems) as well as a fair amount of probability and statistics. It would serve well as preparation for any standard Algebra II course. It starts out relatively easy but ramps up quickly as more topics are introduced. While there is a natural build in Algebra of one concept onto another, I do think the way CLE breaks things down helps to make it less intimidating and to keep concepts fresh through constant review.

• Like 4

Thank you.  Thirty problem a day slog, huh?  Sounds like you don't like Saxon. 

Actually I do like Saxon. However, there is a lot of repetition built in, probably more than most kids need, imho. The advantage of the VHSG's course is that a professional math teacher has cut down the problem sets for you, so you don't have to worry about skipping too much or all of one problem type. You can add more practice by doing the other, unassigned problems from the book.

Full disclosure: we got to lesson 48 successfully when the WTM Academy announced their AOPS based Algebra 1 class for next year. We stopped at that point because this is exactly what I was looking for. We're currently working through Keys to Algebra and AOPS Prealgebra to get set for the AOPs class next year. If that hadn't materialized, we would have continued with VHSG's class. In fact, we might pick it up again if we have time over the summer. The videos are very good, slow, clear explanations of the example problems and dd likes to enter answers on the computer to autocheck them.

• Like 1

As to the new edition of Algebra I, I would recommend it to anyone who has had success using CLE at the earlier levels. It is very much the same thing in terms of rigor and presentation. It definitely covers all the standard Algebra I topics (including the gamut of word problems) as well as a fair amount of probability and statistics. It would serve well as preparation for any standard Algebra II course. It starts out relatively easy but ramps up quickly as more topics are introduced. While there is a natural build in Algebra of one concept onto another, I do think the way CLE breaks things down helps to make it less intimidating and to keep concepts fresh through constant review.

So you think a person could switch from CLE Algebra I to any type of Albebra II, is that right? Do you think this would be true for even one more challenging like Chalkdust?  I'm loving CLE, and would like to stick with it as long as we can.

• Like 1

Yes, I absolutely do. I've used both Lial's and Foersters which are standard courses and I really don't see any major gaps. The biggest difference is the much larger number of word problems in those two textbooks. I don't really consider this an impediment though because CLE covers all the basic word problems in sufficient number for mastery - it just doesn't place as large a focus on them. 

• Like 2

Alpha Omega Publications not Art of Problem solving, right?  I guess Art of Problem Solving is written as AoPS and Alpha Omega Publications is AOP?

I just glance at the website and it seems they are saying the current Algebra I is Light Unit Based but they are in the process of converting to a full color textbook using these light units as the base in a few years.  I guess after they finish that they will tackle the other levels?  That is disappointing.  Maybe full color light units but I really don't want a textbook and it they are planning on the process taking years and years to complete, then maybe jumping ship after Level 800 would be better.

AimeeM, have you been using Algebra I yet?  I can't recall.  If so, how have you liked it?

Yes - I mean that they use Alpha Omega (I have NO such issues with Art of Problem Solving, lol).

It could be many years before they have another level of math out. Apparently it took them a very long time to go from Math 8 to Algebra. 

I am using the Algebra 1. I love it, but DD wants to jump ship - she's just sick to death of CLE math (we've been doing it for years, other than the last year she spent in private school). 

I don't really mind her jumping ship, even half-way through, since I know we have to leave CLE after algebra 1 anyway.

So you think a person could switch from CLE Algebra I to any type of Albebra II, is that right? Do you think this would be true for even one more challenging like Chalkdust?  I'm loving CLE, and would like to stick with it as long as we can.

Definitely. We're using CLE Algebra and I have no doubt DD would be able to jump into any Algebra II program after. The first couple light units are more pre-algebra review, but that lends to the natural build that CLE is known for.

• Like 1

Actually I do like Saxon. However, there is a lot of repetition built in, probably more than most kids need, imho. The advantage of the VHSG's course is that a professional math teacher has cut down the problem sets for you, so you don't have to worry about skipping too much or all of one problem type. You can add more practice by doing the other, unassigned problems from the book.

Full disclosure: we got to lesson 48 successfully when the WTM Academy announced their AOPS based Algebra 1 class for next year. We stopped at that point because this is exactly what I was looking for. We're currently working through Keys to Algebra and AOPS Prealgebra to get set for the AOPs class next year. If that hadn't materialized, we would have continued with VHSG's class. In fact, we might pick it up again if we have time over the summer. The videos are very good, slow, clear explanations of the example problems and dd likes to enter answers on the computer to autocheck them.

Ummm. Say what? I didn't know WTM had an AOPS Algebra class.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...