Menu

Buying Cabbage Poll

Buying Cabbage  

120 members have voted

1. 1. When buying a head of cabbage do you put it in a bag or straight into the shopping basket?

• Bag
    • Shopping cart
    • Other

I rarely put fruits and vegetables in a bag. I figure that everybody and their brother has been handling them, so I can wash them when I get home - I'll do that anyway! The only things that go in a bag are teeny tiny things like green beans or brussel sprouts.

• Like 4

Bag here for nearly all produce. I know things have been handled by others.  But the bag gives another layer of contamination protection should the checker or bagger let my carefully separated raw meats come too close for my comfort to my raw veggies and fruits.  It also helps protect them if they spill out of the shopping bag and roll around the car. 

• Like 8

Bag here for nearly all produce. I know things have been handled by others.  But the bag gives another layer of contamination protection should the checker or bagger let my carefully separated raw meats come too close for my comfort to my raw veggies and fruits.  It also helps protect them if they spill out of the shopping bag and roll around the car. 

Around here, if you bring your own bags they won't bag for you, so I'm in the habit of bagging all my own stuff anyway. Also, if I'm getting meat, it's the meat I put in a produce bag - not the produce! :)

• Like 4

Around here, if you bring your own bags they won't bag for you, so I'm in the habit of bagging all my own stuff anyway. Also, if I'm getting meat, it's the meat I put in a produce bag - not the produce! :)

I put meats in bags, too.  I've worked food service in my younger days, so I am more wary of cross-contamination than I might have been.  Also, I will place things on the conveyor belt in a certain order to keep chilled things with chilled, delicate things away from cans, and raw meats away from fresh foods.  It helps, though sometimes the checker ignores the order and grabs things willy-nilly.

Meats get bagged and put on the bottom rack of my shopping cart.  Fresh produce gets bagged and put in the child seat or top rack of the cart.  Eggs go on the special shelf at the nose of the cart (as does sushi if we pick some up for a treat).  All else goes in the main basket.

When loading into my car I will find the meats and put them in first, then pack shelf-stable foods around them to create a barrier and keep the meat bags upright.  Produce gets double-checked against spillage (bags knotted, if need be) and placed elsewhere.  Eggs and really delicate items often get to ride up front, where someone can watch them.

Experience with the some of the down-sides has led to this.  Never again, if I can help it.

• Like 2

Bag. I hate it, but I bag all fruit and veg that isn't already wrapped (like a multi pack of squash or a big bag of potatoes).

I considered not bagging things that I would eventually peel (bananas, lettuce heads where I remove the outer layer anyway, etc), but I just couldn't do it. I had to bag.

Back in the fall, I read on another board something that really squicked me out and I came to accept my bagging ways. The thread was discussing the spread of flu and other viruses and the subject of shopping came up (sick people touching and coughing all over produce) and there were some opponents of bagging that were (understandably) upset at all the bag usage. Suddenly, there were tons of posts about things that happen IN the shopping carts that made me gag. I never realized how many children had leaking diapers (solid and liquid!) and had gotten sick IN the carts until that thread. Shopping carts aren't cleaned. That was enough for me. Now I never use the 'kiddie seat' portion with the seat part down, even though that is only a minor help in my mind (I do use the provided wipes to wipe it down, for the little good it does), and only non-food items go in the cart 'under' the seat part. Ugh.

• Like 3

I put meats in bags, too.  I've worked food service in my younger days, so I am more wary of cross-contamination than I might have been.  Also, I will place things on the conveyor belt in a certain order to keep chilled things with chilled, delicate things away from cans, and raw meats away from fresh foods.  It helps, though sometimes the checker ignores the order and grabs things willy-nilly.

Meats get bagged and put on the bottom rack of my shopping cart.  Fresh produce gets bagged and put in the child seat or top rack of the cart.  Eggs go on the special shelf at the nose of the cart (as does sushi if we pick some up for a treat).  All else goes in the main basket.

When loading into my car I will find the meats and put them in first, then pack shelf-stable foods around them to create a barrier and keep the meat bags upright.  Produce gets double-checked against spillage (bags knotted, if need be) and placed elsewhere.  Eggs and really delicate items often get to ride up front, where someone can watch them.

Experience with the some of the down-sides has led to this.  Never again, if I can help it.

I bag all meats, too. I also turn the bag inside out and grab the meat using the bag if I can. I hate touching meats and have touched way too many leaky meat packages. Ick!!

Curious--- what are the "top rack" and "special shelf at the nose of the cart"? I'm not sure I have seen those.

To help with eggs and bread, I have a crate in my car (those $3 crates from Wal-Mart or Target) that I keep my reusable bags in, and whenever I buy eggs, bread, tippy things like milk, etc, they will go in the crate (not all together, obviously). I find the crate really helps.

Bag. But now that I think of it, I never use the outer leaves so I might as well skip the bag.

I always bag meat. My local Kroger and Publix have bag and wipes dispensers in the meat dept.

On the rare occasions I buy milk I ask for it to be bagged at checkout. I never used to until one of the cashiers was telling me that he didn't used to either until the time his milk tipped over in the trunk and leaked. But he didn't discover this--as it had soaked into the carpeting--until it started to smell bad. So now he gets all his milk bagged. And I do too. :p

• Like 1

Back in the fall, I read on another board something that really squicked me out and I came to accept my bagging ways. The thread was discussing the spread of flu and other viruses and the subject of shopping came up (sick people touching and coughing all over produce) and there were some opponents of bagging that were (understandably) upset at all the bag usage. Suddenly, there were tons of posts about things that happen IN the shopping carts that made me gag. I never realized how many children had leaking diapers (solid and liquid!) and had gotten sick IN the carts until that thread. Shopping carts aren't cleaned. That was enough for me. Now I never use the 'kiddie seat' portion with the seat part down, even though that is only a minor help in my mind (I do use the provided wipes to wipe it down, for the little good it does), and only non-food items go in the cart 'under' the seat part. Ugh.

And then there are the shopping carts that leave the grocery store property for awhile...

The grocery stores will send people out to retrieve them.  Sometimes the carts can be found at nearby bus stops.   Sometimes  the wandering carts end up on the local news because someone was pushing a dead body around in a shopping cart, or someone else finds a shopping cart full of used syringes in front of their house.   (Both local news stories here...)

I've seen employees at the grocery store using a shopping cart to go around and collect all the trash bags from the garbage cans in front of the store!  I asked someone if there is one designated cart for this purpose, one that is not put away with all the others, and the person looked at ME like I had two heads!

One day at another store where I frequently shop there was an unattended cart in one of the aisles, and it looked like it had toilet paper hanging from it.  I asked an employee about it and he took it away. 

I wish we had a car wash for shopping carts at the grocery store...I would gladly pay!  I always use the wipes that the store provides when I take a shopping cart.  If the container is empty, I use one of the packets that I keep in my purse!   Maybe it's time to start carrying a can of Lysol spray so that I can douse the whole thing!

Yes, people...put your produce in a bag, at least while you still can!   Where I live, plastic shopping bags are banned by law.   Paper produce bags are encouraged but the plastic ones are still available, thank goodness!  If they try to ban the plastic produce bags next, I'll bring my own ziplocs! 

• Like 1

YES!  This happens to me all the time!  I don't understand it.  I put things on the belt in groups, and I end up with them in a jumble in the bags? 

• Like 1

I only bag produce that comes in small pieces, like beans or loose mushrooms. I do bag meats.

I use the self-scan checkouts exclusively. I bring my own bags.

I use the two-tiered shopping carts linked above or just a hand basket. No chance of leaky diapers there!

• Like 1

On the rare occasions I buy milk I ask for it to be bagged at checkout. I never used to until one of the cashiers was telling me that he didn't used to either until the time his milk tipped over in the trunk and leaked. But he didn't discover this--as it had soaked into the carpeting--until it started to smell bad. So now he gets all his milk bagged. And I do too. :p

Milk tipping over and leaking is how I wound up with a crate in the trunk. :thumbup1:

And then there are the shopping carts that leave the grocery store property for awhile...

The grocery stores will send people out to retrieve them.  Sometimes the carts can be found at nearby bus stops.   Sometimes  the wandering carts end up on the local news because someone was pushing a dead body around in a shopping cart, or someone else finds a shopping cart full of used syringes in front of their house.   (Both local news stories here...)

I've seen employees at the grocery store using a shopping cart to go around and collect all the trash bags from the garbage cans in front of the store!  I asked someone if there is one designated cart for this purpose, one that is not put away with all the others, and the person looked at ME like I had two heads!

One day at another store where I frequently shop there was an unattended cart in one of the aisles, and it looked like it had toilet paper hanging from it.  I asked an employee about it and he took it away. 

I wish we had a car wash for shopping carts at the grocery store...I would gladly pay!  I always use the wipes that the store provides when I take a shopping cart.  If the container is empty, I use one of the packets that I keep in my purse!   Maybe it's time to start carrying a can of Lysol spray so that I can douse the whole thing!

Yes, people...put your produce in a bag, at least while you still can!   Where I live, plastic shopping bags are banned by law.   Paper produce bags are encouraged but the plastic ones are still available, thank goodness!  If they try to ban the plastic produce bags next, I'll bring my own ziplocs! 

I *SO* didn't need to know this. I never thought about the carts that leave the store--- I see them in retention ditches all the time! Ugh.

I fear I will only feel better if I go shopping with my own, privately purchased cart while wearing a bio-hazard suit and scan and bag my own groceries!!

My local Sprouts has this kind of shopping carts in link below. Maybe that is what AMJ meant.

http://www.shoppingcartmart.com/catalog/product/gallery/id/158/image/206/

Oh! Our Kroger has something similar, but they are too small to hold much.

YES!  This happens to me all the time!  I don't understand it.  I put things on the belt in groups, and I end up with them in a jumble in the bags? 

I notice the cashier will pick and choose things to scan which makes them all jumble up at the end. I often wonder why they do that?

I hate the self check outs--- I think I must have some sort of strange energy about me as they always malfunction when I am near them. Dh won't let me stand near him when he checks out, either, as the only times he ever needs to have someone help him is when I am standing there next to him. :sad: And I can't tell you the number of times I'll get to the cashier only to have their machine malfunction. I feel cursed. :toetap05:

Usually right into the cart.  Usually I'll peel off the outer leaves anyway, and I almost always use self-check, so once my cabbage is in the cart, I'll be the only one touching it from that point on.

Though I suppose I'm paying for waste that way, since our store charges by the pound for cabbage.  The cabbage bin is like the sweet corn bin at my store- there's always a large trash can next to it for people who want to remove the outer leaves before paying for it.  

I bag all produce with the exception of bananas, melons, and pineapple. 

We don't have fancy carts. We don't have a self-checking lane. We don't bag our own groceries. 

That means everything goes in the cart together, including meat and produce. I do try to make sure those things that would contaminate my produce are kept away, sometimes my cart is very full and things get bumped around. Additionally, I sort groceries as I take them out of the cart, but I can't guarantee the cashier won't bag something in a non-hygenic way such as household chemicals with produce. So, anything that doesn't have a thick peel that doesn't get eaten, gets bagged.

I buy one cabbage a week. It goes right in the shopping cart sans plastic bag. However, I do store it in an open plastic bag once it is in my fridge.

It is rarely wet, because our store doesn't spray cabbage, thank goodness. And I generally strip off the outside leaves because they are usually pretty dinged up anyway.

In the US, I try to avoid using bags whenever I can so I don't bag cabbage.  When I'm not in the US, everyone insists on bagging everything and I can't avoid it so I just bag it to save time and hand it to the person who's weighing it.  So maybe I'm backward because I use a shopping cart in the US but don't bag, but never use a cart outside the US and always have to bag.  I always figure any produce I buy anywhere isn't clean enough to eat without washing (and usually cooking) so I don't really care how dirty it gets before I get home because I'll prepare it correctly at home.  

Shopping carts have nothing on some of the markets I've shopped in before.

I do always bag meat an extra time wherever in the world I buy it and I'll carry extra bags to meat markets so I can do so. 

Thanks for the feedback! I asked my mom to pick up a head of cabbage yesterday and she did not put it in a bag. DS could not figure out why I was freaking out until I told him that babies had blowouts that diapers could not contain. He happily gave it to his chickens.  :ack2:

I had never thought about meat leaking before. But I get most of my meat from the butcher in town and never buy produce and raw meat together. I usually do not to buy produce but I seem to unable to grow cabbage. 

Thanks for the feedback! I asked my mom to pick up a head of cabbage yesterday and she did not put it in a bag. DS could not figure out why I was freaking out until I told him that babies had blowouts that diapers could not contain. He happily gave it to his chickens.  :ack2:

I had never thought about meat leaking before. But I get most of my meat from the butcher in town and never buy produce and raw meat together. I usually do not to buy produce but I seem to unable to grow cabbage. 

I am sorry, but I am not seeing the connection between these two statements. Your mom bought cabbage and didn't bag, you freaked out, and told your husband babies have diaper accidents?

Can you please connect the dots for me..... :huh:  I am not getting this at all.

And what does putting the cabbage in the bag after you buy it do about the diaper accidents?

I am sorry, but I am not seeing the connection between these two statements. Your mom bought cabbage and didn't bag, you freaked out, and told your husband babies have diaper accidents?

Can you please connect the dots for me..... :huh:  I am not getting this at all.

And what does putting the cabbage in the bag after you buy it do about the diaper accidents?

She did not bag the cabbage when she bought it and just tossed it into the basket.  :ack2: I refuse to have anything to do with it because it was in a filthy shopping cart. 

I bag all meats, too. I also turn the bag inside out and grab the meat using the bag if I can. I hate touching meats and have touched way too many leaky meat packages. Ick!!

Curious--- what are the "top rack" and "special shelf at the nose of the cart"? I'm not sure I have seen those.

To help with eggs and bread, I have a crate in my car (those $3 crates from Wal-Mart or Target) that I keep my reusable bags in, and whenever I buy eggs, bread, tippy things like milk, etc, they will go in the crate (not all together, obviously). I find the crate really helps.

The grocery store I frequent most has two types of carts.  One is the smaller, two-tiered cart Arcadia linked to above, and the other is a more traditional shape with a child seat. 

The two-tiered cart does NOT have a child seat and holds a moderate amount -- enough for a quick grocery run for a family or a week's worth of groceries for one or two people.  I stated child seat or top rack because one cart has one and the other cart has the other.

The bigger cart with the child seat is a larger traditional model.  They thoughtfully put a shallow shelf over the main bin in the nose of the cart -- this cart is just right for an egg carton or similarly-sized fragile things.  You can put your eggs there where they won't be squished and any feisty toddler in the child seat can't reach them for throwing.

I'll use either cart, depending on how much I'm picking up.  Both carts have a bottom shelf for heavy or bulky flat things (think TP or cases of soda) -- this is where I put my bagged raw meats.

Milk tipping over and leaking is how I wound up with a crate in the trunk. :thumbup1:

I *SO* didn't need to know this. I never thought about the carts that leave the store--- I see them in retention ditches all the time! Ugh.

I fear I will only feel better if I go shopping with my own, privately purchased cart while wearing a bio-hazard suit and scan and bag my own groceries!!

Oh! Our Kroger has something similar, but they are too small to hold much.

I notice the cashier will pick and choose things to scan which makes them all jumble up at the end. I often wonder why they do that?

I hate the self check outs--- I think I must have some sort of strange energy about me as they always malfunction when I am near them. Dh won't let me stand near him when he checks out, either, as the only times he ever needs to have someone help him is when I am standing there next to him. :sad: And I can't tell you the number of times I'll get to the cashier only to have their machine malfunction. I feel cursed. :toetap05:

I haven't worn a battery-operated watch on my wrist for years.  Every time I have tried they quit working.  I can take them off and leave them alone and they are fine again.  I can wear one on my belt loop and it's fine.  Now my phone is my timepiece, since it is with me everywhere anyway.

You know, I thought of something else that's cabbage-specific and nothing to do with my broccoli or apple buying habits.

When I buy a leafy head vegetable like cabbage or lettuce (but not kale), I take off the top layer or two of leaves before I use it. I don't know why I do that even if the leaves aren't damaged, but I do.

I always bag cabbage.  After reading this thread I think I may start layering something between all my food and the basket.  :ack2:  I could've gone my whole life and never learned about not washing carts, dirty diapers, syringes, dead people, etc.  I like my bubble people!! Quit bursting it!!

Oh dear. I answered without reading the responses because I was in a hurry and I came back to read them now. Dead people? I'll skip it.

After reading this thread I think I may start layering something between all my food and the basket.  :ack2:

Bring your own shopping cart?  My parents generation would bring their own carts to farmers market and the supermarkets that are within walking distance :)   I do bring my own shopping cart sometimes since I can walk home from the supermarket.  I have an Ikea one and a plastic foldable/collapsible cart.

I put veggies and meat in bags because I don't want meat cooties touching veggies. I use reusable bags and wash the bags. I also get pretty OCD about how things are bagged once I pay.

Shopping carts are pretty dirty but it isn't as if I hose it down before I put my kid in it. Herm...shopping carts probably also have meat cooties.