Menu

17 day diet

Scarlett

I'm going to start this diet after my kids go back to school. I've been exercising almost daily with little to no change in weight. I guess I could say that I've been maintaining my weight by exercising. Anyhow, I wonder if anyone has done cycle 1 while exercising? I'm concerned about feeling too weak or not having the energy to complete my hour long workouts in the heat.

I'm going to start this diet after my kids go back to school. I've been exercising almost daily with little to no change in weight. I guess I could say that I've been maintaining my weight by exercising. Anyhow, I wonder if anyone has done cycle 1 while exercising? I'm concerned about feeling too weak or not having the energy to complete my hour long workouts in the heat.

I was doing cycle 1 in the spring (I finished now, and am maintaining--lost about 8 lbs!! in 6 weeks or so and my eating is much better.  Down from 134 lbs to 125 or 126; not trying to lose any more)

I was training for a 10K, just in the beginning of training, running like 2.5 miles 2 days per week and 3 miles 1 day per week, when I was on Cycle 1 and I was DYING, lol--  I went back to my usual breakfast of 1/2 cup oatmeal, cooked with water, with 1-2 tsp sunflower seeds and chopped prunes or raisins, a splash of milk, on my running days.

I had no energy until I did that.  Eating eggs and veggies an hour before running, or even a banana did me no good--needed the oats.

B

• Like 1

I checked out the book from the library, and started it today - well, sorta.  I had two eggs (including the yolks), green tea, and a nectarine for breakfast.  I had a salad with tuna for lunch.  I didn't have dressing on my salad so I consider that a big accomplishment.  I'm planning grilled chicken for dinner. I guess I'm easing into this because I have picnics on both Saturday and Sunday to attend, but hopefully I can be more prepared by Monday.  I don't have yogurt or lemons, so until I can go grocery shopping, I'll just do the best with what I have.  I did a low carb diet last year and did well on it until I stalled out.  Then I started adding bad stuff back in.  At first I didn't gain any back, but now I've gained 10 of my almost 50 lbs. back.  I'm hoping the different cycles every 17 days will help so my body doesn't get used to the same foods.

• Like 1

Was down 3 pounds and then Thursday was DH's b-day. I only gained 1/2 lb so not too bad for a total cheat day. Cycle 1 is the hardest & easiest. It's hard because there are so many restrictions but it's easy because I just eat the same thing for my meals each day. 

I want to add something other than our daily walk but I think I'll wait until I'm out of cycle 1. 

Today is day 8 so after one week I am down 4 lbs.  I had about 20 to lose so 4 lbs in a week is pretty good.  I find the diet easy to follow if I am prepared. If I have lettuce and veggies chopped for a salad and meat in a form that can quickly be prepared to add to it I am in good shape as I really enjoy that big salad.  I usually eat two eggs for breakfast, the salad for lunch or dinner, and the yogurt for snacks.  I don't always eat the fruit.  Sometimes I am just not hungry enough for it early in the day and when I am it is past the 2:00 cut off on fruit.  Sometimes I will just eat a piece of fish and some raw veggies for dinner.  I like having cut up cooked chicken in the fridge to grab when I need to nibble.  

I haven't been perfect.  I am known for my baking and that sometimes gets me.  My sister was coming to visit and requested a cake that I absolutely cannot resist so I had some of that one day.  I baked cookies for the neighborhood kids and I did eat some cookie dough.  Last night I had a serving or two of some gluten free crackers I had in the cabinet (but now that bag is finished and won't tempt me anymore).  Last night I did really miss my wine.  If I had that in the house I probably would have broken down and had a glass.

So, that was therapeutic to confess all my diet infractions.  I know my calories were still low even with those missteps. I didn't have the fruit on the days I cheated with sweets and I think the day I had cake I skipped a meal.  Not ideal but I hope to do better next week.  If I don't bake I should be okay and having some success the first week should give me momentum to keep going.  If I can lose another 5 lbs most of my clothes should begin to fit so I am close.  

I have tried alot of diets and I do think this is a good one.  Effective but not crazy.  

• Like 1

I don't always eat the fruit.  Sometimes I am just not hungry enough for it early in the day and when I am it is past the 2:00 cut off on fruit.  

The fruit restriction is actually no fruit 8 hours before bedtime. The 2:00 cut-off would have you going to bed at 10:00. If you stay up later then you can move the fruit to later in the day. When I eat yogurt I will put berries in it to get at least one serving of fruit early. I don't always get both fruits or both probiotics in.

Has anyone tried the 17 day diet app?

I'm going to buy the book and hopefully read it before school starts, which is when I plan to implement it. What happens at the end of cycle 2 if you haven't lost all the weigh you want/need to lose? Do you go on to cycle 3, stay in cycle 2, or go back to cycle 1?

Oops - I used the wrong numbers. I actually meant, what happens at the end of cycle 3 if you haven't lost all the weight you want/need to lose? Go on to cycle 4, stay in cycle 3, or go back to cycles 1 or 2?

I checked out the book from the library, and started it today - well, sorta.  I had two eggs (including the yolks), green tea, and a nectarine for breakfast.  I had a salad with tuna for lunch.  I didn't have dressing on my salad so I consider that a big accomplishment.  I'm planning grilled chicken for dinner. I guess I'm easing into this because I have picnics on both Saturday and Sunday to attend, but hopefully I can be more prepared by Monday.  I don't have yogurt or lemons, so until I can go grocery shopping, I'll just do the best with what I have.  I did a low carb diet last year and did well on it until I stalled out.  Then I started adding bad stuff back in.  At first I didn't gain any back, but now I've gained 10 of my almost 50 lbs. back.  I'm hoping the different cycles every 17 days will help so my body doesn't get used to the same foods.

I needed the super strictness in the beginning.  But that is because that is how my brain responds best....schedules, rules, etc.  Now though I am much more relaxed since I've kept almost 10 pounds off since early April.  

One more question. Does anyone know what the difference is between the original 17 day diet book and the breakthrough edition? I'm not sure which would be best to buy.

Buy the cheaper one.  

I bet there is not enough difference to matter.  You will make your own adjustments anyway.