Menu

17 day diet

Scarlett

My parents are in town and we've been eating dinner later than usual. I gained half a pound and have stayed that weight for three days. I'm down 11.5 pounds from the beginning. Really looking forward to the start of Cycle 2 on Thursday.

That is awesome!

My last day of Cycle 1 is tomorrow, so I will be interested to see what my total loss is on Thursday morning.

It has not been easy for me, but I really needed to get my eating under control. I'm really looking forward to greater variety in Cycle 2 and beyond. I have totally fallen in love with Greek Yogurt, which is a good thing. :)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Close to 2 months since I started this and I have kept off the 8 and even lost one more pound. And going on vacation at that!

My sister and her daughter are coming to visit mid June.....they are both gluten free....my niece because she has such an intolerance she has been hospitalized over it. I told her what I have been eating and she said that is basically what they eat all of the time. :)

I am going to,take advantage of summer veggies and fruits and keep up a modified version of this for a long time. I guess it would be more paleo?

How is everyone else doing?

Can you have coffee at all? Or plain nuts? I often use walnuts or almonds to curb hunger.

You can have coffee but just black. I have continued drinking mine black even after I quit being so strict.

No nuts on cycle one.....I don't have my book so I can't see what cycle allows nuts...anyone have it handy?

• Like 1

Can you have coffee at all? Or plain nuts? I often use walnuts or almonds to curb hunger.

Black coffee, yes.  And I put 1/4 cup of unsweetened almond milk (30 calories per cup--so like 7.5 calories) in my coffee, 2 cups/day usually, even when I was on C1.

No nuts--and I'll tell you, I think that's a secret there.  When I couldn't lose weight before, it's because I was having so many "healthy" snacks--6 or 8 almonds or an apple with peanut butter or something--and i never felt "hungry" but I also hung onto weight.  I had to untrain myself from the curbing hunger habit of snacking every couple of hours on a "filling" snack, and drink lots of water---

I did the 17-day diet in April and lost the 6 lbs or so I wanted to lose very quickly.  I've since lost about 3 or 4 more by living a "Cycle 4" lifestyle.

And one thing that is new to me is to curb hunger without calorie-filled snacks--my new best snack is baby carrots.  Where I used to grab nuts, I grab baby carrots.  And/or a mug of hot tea--there are some herbal teas that are naturally sweet, like Celestial Seasonings Apple Cinnamon and one called Bengal Spice.

Nuts are allowed in Cycle 2 or 3, but definitely not in Cycle 1. Try baby carrots :)

B

• Like 2

Nuts are allowed on Cycle 3 as a "friendly fat". You can have 2 servings of fat per day (this includes any oil you would use in salad dressings or to cook). A serving of nuts or seeds is 2 tablespoons.

• Like 1

I have to do my measurements to see how many inches I've lost. I'm down 18 pounds total (cycle 1 & 2). My size 16 shorts which were too tight before are now too loose. I could probably get size 14 that fit but I don't want to buy clothes all the way down.  :lol:

Has anyone tried his 17 minute exercise routine? I bought the updated book which has it in there. It looks intimidating.  :mellow:

• Like 2

I have to do my measurements to see how many inches I've lost. I'm down 18 pounds total (cycle 1 & 2). My size 16 shorts which were too tight before are now too loose. I could probably get size 14 that fit but I don't want to buy clothes all the way down.  :lol:

Has anyone tried his 17 minute exercise routine? I bought the updated book which has it in there. It looks intimidating.  :mellow:

Wow, that is awesome!  How much more do you want to lose?  I mean answer only if you want of course!

I would LOVE to lose 10 more.  

I did learn (well I really already knew this ) that when I am sleep deprived I cannot stay on this diet.  I had a crisis at my house ( water came in during a heavy rain) when dh was out of town and I got no sleep.  That was Friday night....and all day Saturday and Sunday all I wanted was chips!  But come Monday I got back on my wagon and I am doing ok now.  But remember sleep is important everyone.

• Like 1

Wow, that is awesome!  How much more do you want to lose?  I mean answer only if you want of course!

I would LOVE to lose 10 more.  

I did learn (well I really already knew this ) that when I am sleep deprived I cannot stay on this diet.  I had a crisis at my house ( water came in during a heavy rain) when dh was out of town and I got no sleep.  That was Friday night....and all day Saturday and Sunday all I wanted was chips!  But come Monday I got back on my wagon and I am doing ok now.  But remember sleep is important everyone.

I have a size that I want to get to not a weight. I'm aiming for a size 8-10. To get to my "ideal" weight for my height I would have to drop another 70-80 lbs.  :thumbdown: Last time I was a size 8-10 I was about 40 lbs higher than the "ideal". So, probably another 40 lbs. But, this program is actually not that hard to do. Especially now that I am in cycle 3 and can have bread & pasta.

I know about the sleep issue and losing/gaining weight. I average about 6.5 hours of sleep each night. But that's life with a toddler.

I have a size that I want to get to not a weight. I'm aiming for a size 8-10. To get to my "ideal" weight for my height I would have to drop another 70-80 lbs.  :thumbdown: Last time I was a size 8-10 I was about 40 lbs higher than the "ideal". So, probably another 40 lbs. But, this program is actually not that hard to do. Especially now that I am in cycle 3 and can have bread & pasta.

I know about the sleep issue and losing/gaining weight. I average about 6.5 hours of sleep each night. But that's life with a toddler.

You can do it!  I do like this diet.  I gotta get my book back from my friend so I can get more ideas for cycle two and three.

• Like 1

I'm down 14 lbs. and two pant sizes. :O

I'm in cycle 3 now, which I really like. I think

I will hang out there and do the transitional smoothie fasts periodically until I reach my goal. I still have about 40 lbs to lose.

Wow, that is impressive. :)

• Like 1

I just got my book back a few days ago.  I haven't actually started Cycle 2 yet.  I have mainly, during the week stayed on cycle 1 which I don't think is long term a good thing.  I did break down last night and give in to some chip cravings thanks to my dh bringing them home.  Grrr....

This morning I've had black coffee, yogurt with blue berries.  There is a yummy salad in my frig that I will have with chicken or tuna for lunch.  I think I am eating too much tuna.....but it is so delicious and easy.  

This morning I've had black coffee, yogurt with blue berries.  There is a yummy salad in my frig that I will have with chicken or tuna for lunch.  I think I am eating too much tuna.....but it is so delicious and easy.  

On Cycle 1 & 2 I would have chicken at lunch and then tuna at dinner. I was getting really sick of tuna but it is so easy.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm down 7 pounds now, but I'm not following the diet to a T.   I'm doing a hybrid of South Beach and the 17DD and then kind of my own thing too.  I'm still having my morning coffee with cream and sugar.  The weight would probably come off quicker if I followed to a T but I can live with this.

I'm down 7 pounds now, but I'm not following the diet to a T. I'm doing a hybrid of South Beach and the 17DD and then kind of my own thing too. I'm still having my morning coffee with cream and sugar. The weight would probably come off quicker if I followed to a T but I can live with this.

That is sort of how I am doing it. Focusing on veggies, and staying away from breads. Lean proteins most of the time but regular meals like roast and potatoes this weekend. And I had 2 slices of pizza yesterday afternoon....with a big salad. I am still drinking my coffee black, but I've added back in wine.

I am finding it pretty easy after that initial 2 weeks. And the first 3-5 days of that was the hardest.

I have only lost 10 pounds in 2 months, BUT I really only needed to lose 20 total....I think it would have come off quicker if I had more to lose.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I have been reading this thread the last several months and have finally gotten the motivation needed to start Cycle 1.  I started exercising regularly the last month, but have been having a difficult time eating healthy.  I am hoping that by starting out with a refrigerator full of "approved" food and a plan in place that I can jump start my weight loss.

I am currently 5'1'' and 132 pounds and would like to get down to approximately 110 (pre-pregnancy weight).   

I am 44 years old so not sure if this is reasonable weight, but am willing to give it a try and make the necessary changes to my diet.

• Like 2

I have been reading this thread the last several months and have finally gotten the motivation needed to start Cycle 1. I started exercising regularly the last month, but have been having a difficult time eating healthy. I am hoping that by starting out with a refrigerator full of "approved" food and a plan in place that I can jump start my weight loss.

I am currently 5'1'' and 132 pounds and would like to get down to approximately 110 (pre-pregnancy weight).

I am 44 years old so not sure if this is reasonable weight, but am willing to give it a try and make the necessary changes to my diet.

Well I have kept off the 10 pounds I lost with minimal,effort.

• Like 4

I have been reading this thread the last several months and have finally gotten the motivation needed to start Cycle 1.  I started exercising regularly the last month, but have been having a difficult time eating healthy.  I am hoping that by starting out with a refrigerator full of "approved" food and a plan in place that I can jump start my weight loss.

Here is a good calculator

http://www.cdc.gov/healthyweight/assessing/bmi/adult_bmi/english_bmi_calculator/bmi_calculator.html

• Like 1

Looks like for your height 132 is the very top of normal weight and 110 is close to the bottom of normal.

• Like 1

Looks like for your height 132 is the very top of normal weight and 110 is close to the bottom of normal.

Thank  you for the info!   Good to know.  When I got married I weighed 104.  Pre-baby (12 years ago) I weighed 113.   

I definitely felt a bit underweight at 104 and just about right at 113.   I haven't been below 120 in about 6 years...

I am on day 5 and am feeling good!  I have made one slight change to the program in that I have decaf green tea in place of caffeinated tea.  I was having difficulty at night sleeping and was feeling toxically tired the next day.   The last thing my family needs is me on a diet with no sleep  :lol:

I am enjoying the energy I have and am really enjoying my meals.  It is amazing to me that when I eat the proper food how little I crave the foods I shouldn't have (there was a birthday party this week with a chocolate fudge cake from whole foods that I passed on).

Looking forward to seeing the weight loss at the end of Cycle 1.   I am refraining getting on the scale until then as I want to remain motivated.

• Like 1

I started today based on what I read in this thread.  My husband is going to try it too.  Wish me luck!

Diane in CO, how's it going?

Hi Alexigail!

It is going good for the most part...we had a dinner party last night and I did cheat .   Had a tablespoon of guacamole, a teaspoon of cheese dip and corn muffin.   Everything else was part of the plan (grilled chicken breast, salad, strawberries).  I didn't have the angel food cake or vanilla ice cream so I did consider that a "win".

Back on board this morning.  Had eggs with peppers and a teaspoon of grated parmesan along with with my green tea.   I am now eating left over salad and grilled chicken for lunch.  

Best wishes for you on your weight loss journey!

• Like 1

Well, I made the mistake of getting on the scale  before the end of the first 17 day cycle (I am on day 11) and it doesn't appear that I have lost any weight  :confused1:   The good news is that I can see a difference in my face and stomach (or am I just imagining it  :huh: ).

I am going to continue with the plan because I don't feel like I have much choice.   I do want to feel and look better and eating this way will at least keep me from gaining..right?

I will be glad to move on to additional cycles.  It will be nice to have a variety of lean meat to eat instead of just chicken and turkey (I don't like any fish).   

I haven't missed chips or soft drinks, but would love to have a slice of that whole foods chocolate cake I passed on last week  :lol:

Hoping for better luck with the scale next week!

I am starting this tomorrow. Something's got to change around here! Good luck to all.

How did your first day go Teachermom?   I have found that I do best when I have meals planned and don't leave anything to chance.  I have had a few difficult nights where the thought of more protein and veggies is unbearable, but for the most part am following the program.   

I did find some fish that is not only tolerable but actually quite tasty.  I bought some honey smoked salmon (it is pricey) and have been enjoying that in addition to the ground turkey and chicken breast.

Lunch today was honey smoked salmon, steamed broccoli and half an apple.   It was filling and actually quite tasty.   

It is interesting how quickly sweets become too sweet on this plan.  I made my son a chocolate milkshake last night and licked the spoon after dishing out the ice cream into the blender.  The chocolate taste was way too sweet for me.  I had no desire for more.

I may not have lost a lot of pounds at this point but my tummy is flatter and I don't feel self-conscience when I am wearing form fitting shirts.

Good luck to everyone! 

• Like 1

I'm getting ready to start Cycle 1 tomorrow. I took a break at the end of May. I didn't want to be actively dieting during the summer. I lost 21 pounds the first time through the three cycles. My shorts that were too tight are now too loose and I was able to go from XL to L in shirts. Hoping to continue with the success.

• Like 1

I have successfully finished Day 2 if I can not snack tonight before bed.  I actually have done well.  Not too hungry.  I have put on about 20 pounds over the last 2 years.  The last 8-10 were put on while I tried to convince myself I could eat anything in moderation (I had been low carb successfully for a long time) and when I started feeling like it was more important for me to just eat whatever everyone else was than it was for me to maintain my weight.  Now that the weight is on I am NOT at all happy.  Nothing at all fits and I don't feel well carrying the extra weight.

I have kept it very simple.  I have had yogurt or eggs for breakfast and then chicken on a salad for lunch and dinner.  Last night we decided to go out for dinner to a pizza place but I was able to get a salad with just veggies and grilled chicken and I enjoyed that.  Tonight our neighbors invited us over to help eat some leftover pulled pork and chips and I made a chocolate cake. I went and had a good time.  I didn't eat- when asked about that I just said I wasn't hungry yet and might grab some later.  So I managed a couple situations here in the first couple days and I feel good that didn't derail me.

I have tried so many things lately to get control of this.  Mainly counting calories and trying to eat just smaller portions.  I, most recently, was eating almost vegan.  Eating eggs, yogurt,  and chicken is actually a treat after going without those for awhile.

I have only gotten one fruit serving in before 2:00 each day so I haven't had both fruits each day.  I had a couple packages of cooked chicken strips from Aldi that were good for snacking.  I also really like celery so I have that diced up and I'll eat that by the handful when I want something snacky.

Thanks for asking how I am doing :)  Good luck to everyone.

• Like 3

I'm getting ready to start Cycle 1 tomorrow. I took a break at the end of May. I didn't want to be actively dieting during the summer. I lost 21 pounds the first time through the three cycles. My shorts that were too tight are now too loose and I was able to go from XL to L in shirts. Hoping to continue with the success.

Best wishes for continued success!   I love it when my favorite clothes start to fit again!

I have successfully finished Day 2 if I can not snack tonight before bed.  I actually have done well.  Not too hungry.  I have put on about 20 pounds over the last 2 years.  The last 8-10 were put on while I tried to convince myself I could eat anything in moderation (I had been low carb successfully for a long time) and when I started feeling like it was more important for me to just eat whatever everyone else was than it was for me to maintain my weight.  Now that the weight is on I am NOT at all happy.  Nothing at all fits and I don't feel well carrying the extra weight.

I have kept it very simple.  I have had yogurt or eggs for breakfast and then chicken on a salad for lunch and dinner.  Last night we decided to go out for dinner to a pizza place but I was able to get a salad with just veggies and grilled chicken and I enjoyed that.  Tonight our neighbors invited us over to help eat some leftover pulled pork and chips and I made a chocolate cake. I went and had a good time.  I didn't eat- when asked about that I just said I wasn't hungry yet and might grab some later.  So I managed a couple situations here in the first couple days and I feel good that didn't derail me.

I have tried so many things lately to get control of this.  Mainly counting calories and trying to eat just smaller portions.  I, most recently, was eating almost vegan.  Eating eggs, yogurt,  and chicken is actually a treat after going without those for awhile.

I have only gotten one fruit serving in before 2:00 each day so I haven't had both fruits each day.  I had a couple packages of cooked chicken strips from Aldi that were good for snacking.  I also really like celery so I have that diced up and I'll eat that by the handful when I want something snacky.

Thanks for asking how I am doing :)  Good luck to everyone.

Congratulations on making it through your 2nd day and hopefully through your third!   I can especially relate to your statement about how you gained weight when you tried to convince yourself you could eat anything in moderation.    I have done that myself....a lot!  Especially with chips and sour cream and onion dip.   I feel like I can do this diet because it is initially strict (which is what I need to have a certain level of accountability) and then slowly adds additional foods in that are still good for my body and not just processed junk.   I have a hard time counting calories ( I find myself obsessing over food), so I appreciate a plan that has simple guidelines that make sense.

Best wishes!

• Like 2

I have made it through 3 days.  Today, the hitch in my day was leaving the house at 1:30 and not getting home until 9:00 pm.  I got the kids Taco Bell but I was able to wait until I got home to get a salad.

So, in the three days of my diet I had three unplanned meal related events.  Day 1 was a family dinner out to a pizza place. Day 2 was a last minute invite by neighbors to go eat with them (nothing healthy). Day 3 had me on the road well past dinner time.  I realized how I gained so much weight.  I had come to a point after maintaining a large loss for a few years eating low carb that I wanted to be able to eat with my family, eat for convenience on those odd occasions we are out or eating socially.  Yet, in 3 days I had 3 of those such occasions.  It isn't that I can't ever eat with my family or eat socially or grab something out on the go.  It is that those events are happening nearly every day in my busy life. I get it now.  It has to be an actual special occasion because my life has me in these situations all the time. I really don't think I had realized that until now.

I feel good about this diet after 3 days.  It is low carb which has always worked for me but it is not obsessive about counting grams of carbs or weighing/measuring or counting calories.  It is restrictive but not in an unhealthy obsessive way.  If I need something I can always eat some chicken or a can of tuna or plain veggies.  I can also use fat free salad dressing (usually banned on very low carb plans). The yogurt is another enjoyable food that is off limits on some strict plans. It sounds like an extreme diet but I really don't feel like it is. I kind of need something restrictive to get on track in the beginning and usually it is quick results that keep me motivated.  I hope I get those results.  If not I hope I can be like you, Diane, and keep at it.  Nothing good is going to come from giving up. That is for sure.

• Like 3

I have to plan ahead for all events that I can. Pizza with friends Sunday afternoon? I eat the salad bar only. Working at my boss' house until 3? I take a salad and tuna to eat at 12 and an energy bar to eat on the way home ( it is a gluton free seeds and honey kind of bar). Other wise I will be so famished when I get home I eat a whole bag of chips.

I have had a very busy summer and managed to keep the weight off. I really focused on planning during the week and letting up,a bit for the weekend.

• Like 2

I have made it through 3 days.  Today, the hitch in my day was leaving the house at 1:30 and not getting home until 9:00 pm.  I got the kids Taco Bell but I was able to wait until I got home to get a salad.

I don't eat at Taco Bell but if you order fresco it's healthier. "you can order ANY item Fresco-style, and T. Bell will replace the cheese, creamy sauces, sour cream, and/or guacamole with pico de gallo."

• Like 1

Another good alternative if you are out and about and need to get something quickly on the go is Chipotle.  I have gotten their salad with grilled chicken, veggies (grilled onions and peppers) and pico.  It is super yummy and works with the plan.

Another possible alternative would be tokyo joe's.  I believe you can alternate the rice/noodle grilled chicken bowl with additional veggies.

It can be hard to eat on the go but there are some good options out there!

• Like 1

It's so nice to hear how everyone is doing!  

I'm still going - day 11 and I'm down 9 lbs, which has really surprised me.   :001_smile:  After the first few days I stopped feeling terribly hungry.  I'm finding that the more I do ahead of time, the better I do.  I keep boiled eggs in my fridge and cut up veggies for snacks.  I also cook 5 or 6 chicken breasts at a time so I have them in the fridge ready to go.  

Has anyone used the recipes in the book yet?  Any in particular that you like?  I enjoyed the chicken salad and the chicken vegetable soup.  Today I'm going to make the sesame fish.

• Like 1