Menu

Going to NYC and I am so excited!

Home'scool

My sister and I are taking 4 days in early June to go to NYC and we can't wait.

We are staying in a hotel that overlooks Times Square. Such excitement for us country mice!

We are going to visit the 9/11 memorial, walk the Brooklyn Bridge, go to the Statue of Liberty, visit the Tenement Museum, and then rent bicycles and ride around Central Park. We both are avid knitters so we probably will spend some time sitting on a bench in Central park, knitting and people watching. We plan to be in our hotel room by early evening, get room service and watch movies. Heaven!

Our kids are making fun of us because they say we plan boring vacations but I could not be happier with our plans.

• Like 2

Set aside some time for the Metropolitan Museum of Art! It's one of my favorite places on earth. You might enjoy the textiles section. Here's a list of current exhibitions.

Have fun!

This this this!!!! When I lived in NYC, I'd go there by myself all the time just to wander. Truly, when I think of my most peaceful, happy place, it's there. You have to visit the roof garden! And the Chinese Courtyard in the Astor Court! 

http://untappedcities.com/2012/09/20/the-secrets-of-the-metropolitan-museum-of-art/

Have you watched the Ken Burns documentary on the city? If you haven't, do watch it before you go. 

I hope you enjoy every second of your trip! It's a truly amazing place, one that I've been obsessed with since I was 4 or 5 and my parents took me in to buy camera equipment. I'm heartbroken that I'll never live there again because it's so expensive, but thankfully we live close enough to drive in or take the train whenever we feel like it!

I live in New Jersey. What you have planned seems doable. NYC for me is a time sink. It is amazing how long it takes to do things there. I went to Statue of Liberty/Ellis island this last summer for the first time (I have lived here for 20 years) and honestly it takes the better part of a day to see. I did have kids with me but they didn't slow me that much!

My point is, don't plan too much. You could live in the city for years and years and not see it all.

• Like 1