Menu

Landry Academy-$$

Paula in MS

Inspired by the recent talk about online classes, I started checking around for next year.  I was looking at Landry Academy's Latin II course because it uses Latin Alive, so it would be a good fit.  Anyway, their classes are the same price, basically, as Veritas Press, but they only meet once a week.  I chatted with them online briefly, but I couldn't get a feel for how they charge $670 for a class that meets once a week when other places charge the same for twice per week.  It's hard for me to believe that they charge more because their teachers are better qualified.  I believe that Veritas Press, Wilson Hill, and WTM also have very good teachers.  So, what gives?  

If you buy semesters early with Landry Academy, you can get a very good deal on price.  For example, I went in with other moms in a group buy for semesters of the 2016-2017 school year; we each got semesters for $58.  You have to buy the semesters a year in advance, but, if you know you'll use them, its a great deal ($116 for a whole year of class).

• Like 1

How in the world would one day per week of live instruction help someone learn Latin?  Honest to goodness--the main thing about learning Latin is making oneself do the daily drills--learning the chants, studying the vocab every day.  

I think they would probably just go through the grammar of that particular lesson and leave the practice for home study on those days that the class doesn't meet.  It will be the same thing for the 2 day per week classes for Latin as well.  I'm not really worried about that because they would have assignments outside of class.  The issue for me is the cost compared to other programs no matter what the class is.

Landry is not cost effective at all, IMHO, for what you get unless you buy the discounted generic credits for the following year.  Sometimes the discounts are AMAZING.  Without that, I wouldn't pay full price.  The bulk of the work is done off line.  The teachers are helpful but basically just facilitate.  There isn't a ton of time to teach.  They do offer feedback on projects/homework assignments/etc.  and the students are frequently set up with ways to interact and critique each other's work, which is nice.  Just not worth full price, though, unless you just have a ton of money lying around, IMO.

• Like 1

How in the world would one day per week of live instruction help someone learn Latin?  Honest to goodness--the main thing about learning Latin is making oneself do the daily drills--learning the chants, studying the vocab every day.  

It's easier to make your kid do the daily drills when they know there's a hard deadline to turn in the homework and take the quiz. There's also an office hour with the teacher if you need more explanation. When you start reading passages, Latin ramps up and you need more guidance than you do the first year when you're just memorizing declensions and conjugations.

OP, I like Landry's classes but I wouldn't pay full price for them. TBH, I doubt many people do. At this point, your best bet is to post a willing to buy classified and see if you can buy them from someone who has extras.

Landry is not cost effective at all, IMHO, for what you get unless you buy the discounted generic credits for the following year.  Sometimes the discounts are AMAZING.  Without that, I wouldn't pay full price.  The bulk of the work is done off line.  The teachers are helpful but basically just facilitate.  There isn't a ton of time to teach.  They do offer feedback on projects/homework assignments/etc.  and the students are frequently set up with ways to interact and critique each other's work, which is nice.  Just not worth full price, though, unless you just have a ton of money lying around, IMO.

This is very helpful.  The primary reason for the online classes is the deadline aspect.  I don't mind a facilitator, BUT if I'm going to pay full price, I would choose the two day a week option with Veritas Press.  I would be crazy not to.  I can see how the discounts would make this a popular option, but that doesn't really help me for the 2015-2016 school year.

This is off-topic, but I would love to find a facilitator for all of her classes.  This would be someone who would keep us on a schedule and grade things.  I don't mind the teaching part.  I just need a disciplinarian and someone else for her to answer to.  Any volunteers? Ha.  Honestly, it would be great if someone could provide a service like that.  

This is off-topic, but I would love to find a facilitator for all of her classes.  This would be someone who would keep us on a schedule and grade things.  I don't mind the teaching part.  I just need a disciplinarian and someone else for her to answer to.  Any volunteers? Ha.  Honestly, it would be great if someone could provide a service like that.  

Yep.  

I would like my teenage son to pay $175 for a course (biology, trig, whatever) and if all the assignments get handed in and he gets a decent grade, he gets 50% of the money back.

:)

Registering a student for the National Latin Exam can apply some helpful external pressure.  

• 3 months later...

I don't think they're available now, and I think a lot of their fall classes are full. I bought my cheap genetics and intensive classes on black Friday. I'll be doing the same this year.

This fall will be our first Landry classes. My freshman is taking intermediate writing, and the syllabus looks great. I'm impressed so far. My 8th grader will be taking an art class and a robotics class, so much less academic. I'm looking forward to all of the class.

Black Friday is the day after Thanksgiving. They ran a different sale every hour for the whole day, so you just kind of have to gauge what you need and pounce when it shows up. Some deals are for all semesters, some for camps, etc. They are totally random, and change hourly, so you need to be decisive. I don't remember what the minimum was last year. I think I paid around $600 for 4 semesters and 2 intensives. It was a great deal. I'm hoping we love the classes and intensives the kids are registered to take.

The other really good option is to look for people selling their genetics off, or to join a group buy when they show up here. It's not Black Friday pricing, but is much cheaper than current retail.