Menu

Logic (Critical Thinking) Curriculum (Secular)

DonHomeschool

I was doing some research and did not see any clear recommendations for a secular logic (critical thinking) curriculum.  I have an 8 year old that is in 6th grade.  She is concurrently finishing Mindware Logic Links (all the books to Level D) and Mindware Analogy Challenges (all the books to Advanced Level), but wants to continue this subject. 

I have researched some excellent curriculums, but they are mostly written for Christian students.  However, I read a lot of information on The Art of Argument (I heard it can be used by secular students), but the following corresponding courses (The Argument Builder and The Discovery of Deduction) lean towards a Christian perspective (according to reviews and forum discussions). 

Additionally, I looked at James Madison’s Critical Thinking Course (which is on my bookshelf), but I wanted to use this curriculum sometime during 7th grade.  I also have the same dilemma with Critical Thinking Book One & Two (planning to start this curriculum at the start of 8th grade).

Therefore, what is recommended for this type of student that wants to continue studying this subject for an additional 4-5 months? 

Your help would be appreciated.

I would suggest either Peter Kreeft (Socratic Logic) or Scott Sullivan (Traditional Logic). Kreft is Christian, but book is about logic not a cross-sell of religion under guise of logic.

Otherwise there are a number of excellent books on archive.com on logic from before 1900, most better than anything found today.

Assuming here you want to teach (deduktive) logic, not wooly "critical thinking". 

For inductive logic any book on scientific method will (mostly) do the job.

I've looked at the Kreeft book, and it's very well done. You'll want to verify for yourself, however, that it's at an appropriate level for your daughter. I believe it was written as a college text, although given the lack of critical thinking skills I see in my students that's not saying a lot in comparison to the average home-schooled child.