Menu

Dance Studio Etiquette Question?

Mabelen

My 11 yo dd has been taking ballet classes at a classical ballet studio for the last few years. We are very happy there.

She has also been competing in rhythmic gymastics at a different gym. It is a beautiful sport and she loves it but we have decided to pull her out due to the increasing time commitment and expense.

The plan is for her to continue with ballet and take other kinds of dance offered at her studio. This will give her skills and exercise without the crazy time requirements of rhythmic gymnastics. They offer Jazz, Lyrical Jazz, Tap and Character in order of my dd's preference.

There is another studio in town that offers an Acro class. This would be right up my dd's alley. I am sure she would love it.

My question is whether it would be appropriate to have my dd take some classes at her original studio and then go to the other studio for the Acro class. Would this be a faux pas or not a big deal at all? I understand that I might have to deal with two sets of recitals and fees but that is a different issue. Coming from rhythmic gymnastics, dance fees compare well. I am asking here before I make enquiries at either studio. What says the hive?

My dd's studio requires the students to get permission to take classes elsewhere. This policy might not apply to people who take rec classes, but I know it applies to dd's program. Check the policies of your studio.

Even if there are no stated policies on this, I might speak to the studio director and state that you want to add the acro class offered at the other place, so she doesn't find out by surprise later.

• Like 2

We added a second studio for one year.  In my case it was a class offered at our studio, but we couldn't work it in with the other dance classes, so we took it elsewhere to keep the skills up.  The new-to-us studio knew where we danced regularly and had no trouble taking our money to take the one class with them.  That owner spent a lot of time bragging up her studio, trying to get us to switch over to her.

I just simply didn't say anything to our home studio about the extra class.  We took it on a night where it never conflicted with our main commitments, and the recitals were in completely different months, so that wasn't an issue either.  

Honestly, I kind of thought it was no one's business at our studio if I was taking DD elsewhere for one class. Other people do it all the time- taking extra tumbling/cheer classes at a different school in town because ours doesn't offer them.   In the end we regretted doing it, as the technique learned there was incorrect and needed to be unlearned by my DD.  By the end, everyone knew we were taking the extra class also, so it wasn't a secret, and no one seemed to care.  

Were I to be in the situation you were in, since it's a class not currently offered, I would be upfront and ask your studio owner what they think of the acro classes at the other studio.  I have seen some pretty awful acro technique, so I would want to make sure I was taking my DD somewhere decent.

• Like 1

Thank you all for your replies. I am somewhat relieved that this might not be a faux pas after all!

I will speak with my dd's ballet teacher, who happens to be the studio owner, about this. I doubt they will feel inclined to adding Acro, the studio has been going on for many years, but who knows! The thing is my dd has also been taking East Indian dance classes elsewere but I never questioned that because it is kind of a niche dance it being an ethnic dance. I guess I felt uneasy about it this time because the second studio offers many of the same classes as my dd's current studio.

The only problem I can see is the end of the year concert, as the dates and rehearsals could clash etc...

This.  Our Dd takes one class at one studio and our schedule gets a little hairy come recital time.  The two studios aren't going to care about your schedule at the other place, they'll expect you to fulfill your commitment to them.  

The end of year recital won't be a problem. Her current studio's is in September, the other one is in early June.

As far as whether an acro class will be too elementary, I am just looking into what acro dance really is. I can see that some of acro's elements are found in rhythmic gymnastics, others are different. Rhythmic gymnastics does not have off the floor elements. It does require extreme flexibility and ability to perform the floor elements while handling an apparatus (ball, ribbon, hoop, rope, clubs). Acro has no handling of apparatus but it does have some off the floor elements that are from artistic gymnastics.

• Like 2

The acro classes at our studio are leveled and progressive. There are kids at our studio doing some impressive floor routines. So you may have luck.

This is interesting discussion. We may be branching from our dance studio a bit and it never remotely occurred to me that we may have a conflict from our regular studio. I can see why you would want to ensure any performance would not conflict. My dd would actually love to find another acro class.