Menu

Afterschooling in Junior High

My ds is in 5th grade, and in the past few years, I've been afterschooling history, math, and writing.  I'm not as consistent as I would like.

What can I expect in the junior high years?  I would like to continue what I've been doing but I'm not sure if I'll have the time.

I would nose around on the Jr High website and look at the curricula and special opportunities that might be available.  When my daughter (7th grade) entered Middle School  I thought I would have to afterschool for history/social studies.  I was pleasantly surprised at what they offer and did not have to.  I have however been working with her on Chemistry.  She is preparing for a Chem competition open to 7th and 8th graders where the 8th graders have a distinct advantage because they have encountered more of the material.  I don't think I would have ever foreseen that.

• Like 1

What are your expectations?  Is your child advanced above grade level in any subjects?

I started after-schooling at the MS/JH level because the math classes were too weak and below my (and general) expectations.

I don't know if ds is above grade level in any subject, but according to the results of school wide testing, he's above expectations.  I volunteered at my son's K-8 school yesterday, and I was able to chat with a mom who has a child in jr. high.  She thought that language arts was weak at that level.

So, I think I'm going to continue with afterschooling writing.  I'm also thinking of adding grammar and reading for 6th grade.  We did both consistently for 3 years, but stopped.  

What are your expectations?  Is your child advanced above grade level in any subjects?

I started after-schooling at the MS/JH level because the math classes were too weak and below my (and general) expectations.

DD is in 6th grade and  has very minimal PS homework. So we do 90 mins of afterschool math a day. That may change in the future. But right now it is working.  

• Like 1

DD is in 6th grade and  has very minimal PS homework. So we do 90 mins of afterschool math a day. That may change in the future. But right now it is working.  

90 min of math per day in 6th grade is a little on the high end (but could be dependent on how much of this is interaction time - which does make the time fly by).

90 min of math per day in 6th grade is a little on the high end (but could be dependent on how much of this is interaction time - which does make the time fly by).

She was doing 90 minutes X5 days to take the credit by exam so should could go from 6th grade preAP math to preAP Algebra in 7th grade.

She just took the last credit by exam test on Saturday and we will get the results in approx3 weeks.

So we are starting Foerster Alg 1 with MWB on April 1 and going to do 90 mins X5 days and see how it goes. She will be in UK for 6 weeks this

so no math at that time.

Of course, this can all change. I will look over her PS Algebra text and compare with Foerster.

How are you doing it with your kids and what ages/grades are they in?

I have never done this before, so I am blind.

I found out through a Facebook page for my son's k-8 school, that the homework for grades 6-8 is minimal.

This is good news to me because I would like to afterschool more than just history and l.a.

I've been doing some research on Latin and logic curricula and I think I may have found which ones to buy.

However, I have never afterschooled both subjects. How are they like?

I'll be dropping math. I'm hoping to do l.a., history, latin, and logic.