Menu

Well-Trained Mind Online Conference Series!

Susan Wise Bauer

Two things -- Is anyone else somewhat bummed that most of these are over? I've really enjoyed the ones I purchased & have been able to view.

Am I the only one who doesn't have any recordings of the Latin Stages one? I was able to catch some of them, but went to my account to find the recordings and I don't have anything!

Two things -- Is anyone else somewhat bummed that most of these are over? I've really enjoyed the ones I purchased & have been able to view.

Am I the only one who doesn't have any recordings of the Latin Stages one? I was able to catch some of them, but went to my account to find the recordings and I don't have anything!

I don't have the Latin Stages lectures in my account either. I also don't have SWB's Writing series yet. I'm thinking it is just taking a bit longer to get the recordings uploaded than anticipated. I know the office has been swamped by this wonderful online conference! 

Swamped isn't even the word! We didn't even advertise this, and we thought we'd have a few registrants. We've had two thousand.

Which would have been fine if we hadn't gone into this with a "Let's put on a show in the barn" mentality, for which I take full responsibility. We didn't take on any extra staff so everything is being handled by three people who already had full schedules--OtherJohn, Diane Wheeler (our managing editor at the Academy) and, um, me. Which is why people who email us aren't getting speedy responses. And why it's taking a long time to get the sessions up--it's been a bit of a job keeping the live sessions from being swamped and the archiving has had to take second place. I'm really sorry (well, sorry and kind of tickled at the same time).

Good news: we're going to bring on staff to help this run much more smoothly and quickly next summer. With better software. More good news: we'll be repeating AND expanding our offerings.

Not-so-good news: we're still swamped for this summer. Please be patient and we'll do everything we can to get the logjam cleared. If anyone got completely derailed by our lack of customer response, we can refund. Just email the [email protected] address and...ok, I'm sorry about this...be patient. And thank you all for your enthusiasm.

SWB

ADDENDUM: OtherJohn has confirmed that the uploaded sessions are on schedule, and that if you're NOT seeing the recordings that you purchased, there's been a glitch with your registration (which is apparently happening with some folks--see remarks above about better software above). Message him if you need help!

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this - but I missed Session 1 of Julie Bogart's Writing webinar and Fantasy Homeschool webinar because we were on vacation last week.  Is there any chance that the Session 1 webinars will be posted before the Session 2s happen live next week?  It would be nice to watch them in order if that is humanly possible.  This is the first time I've missed a session I signed up for, so I don't know if you get an email when the recordings are uploaded, or if I should just check back (repeatedly!) between now and the next session date.

• Like 1

This is the first time I've missed a session I signed up for, so I don't know if you get an email when the recordings are uploaded, or if I should just check back (repeatedly!) between now and the next session date.

In my experience, you have to keep checking daily and hope the session will be posted in time. :)

• Like 1

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this - but I missed Session 1 of Julie Bogart's Writing webinar and Fantasy Homeschool webinar because we were on vacation last week.  Is there any chance that the Session 1 webinars will be posted before the Session 2s happen live next week?  It would be nice to watch them in order if that is humanly possible.  This is the first time I've missed a session I signed up for, so I don't know if you get an email when the recordings are uploaded, or if I should just check back (repeatedly!) between now and the next session date.

I missed the session to as well as Julie Bogarts writing session that was on the 14th.  Neither have shown up on my recordings page.  I emailed them a couple of days ago but am still waiting on a response.  I know they are swamped so it will probably be awhile.  I was also hoping I would be able to watch the first sessions before the second, but this may not be possible.  

Reading the above comments and wondering...can we still register for sessions and/or recordings?  I was all pumped about several of the seminars when the conference was first announced, made a list of what I wanted and the dates...and then I got overwhelmed with unpacking after we moved & completely forgot to register.  I was able to put some recordings and the Julie Bogart seminars in my cart tonight, but I don't want to pay & then find out I can't access things.  Should I go for it?

Update: I got impatient and tried the free ones first.  Those seemed to work, so I purchased a few seminars, and those all seem to be showing up, as well.  Can't wait to get started!

This is the first time I've heard SWB speak. While I've read TWTM, I've learned so much from her lectures that I'll probably buy all her downloads from PHP this winter.

The first time I heard her speak, though, was shocking because she sounds *exactly* like my valley-girl fashionista graphic-designer cousin. I had to keep chanting "This isn't Megan. This isn't Megan."

Emily

Just wanted to say thanks to SWB and the other organizers and presenters. This is such an awesome idea, and I'm a little giddy after listening to my first recorded session!  I wasn't able to attend a homeschool conference this year, which was disappointing as the seminars and interaction with other homeschoolers rejuvenates me and helps me get new ideas and excited about the prospect of a "new" school year.  I love this format because I can easily fit the seminars into my schedule, and it's also very budget friendly compared with attending a conference that usually requires travel, hotel, and food expenses.  Thank you so much!  I appreciate all the time and effort that went into planning the conference and dealing with all the issues & headaches that popped up this first time around.  I'm already looking forward to next year!  :hurray:

• Like 4

I was not able to listen live to any of the sessions so I have been listening to the recordings, and I have been so encouraged and helped by the ones I have listened to so far.  These are sessions that I will need to listen to over and over.  

How long will the recordings be available?  Forever would be really great.   :laugh:

• Like 2

I was also coming to ask how long the recordings will be available.  Also, is there a way to download/save them?  I'm behind on watching them and I'm afraid I'm not going to get them in before they are no longer available.  

I have never been to a homeschool conference but I can't imagine how any of them would top the information & encouragement I've received via these.  They have been so wonderful!!  

• Like 2

Thanks, I will!  I tried and couldn't figure out how to save them, so I thought maybe it wasn't actually possible to download them.  Glad to know its just my technological incompetence!  :lol:   I'll send him a PM.   :thumbup:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Meetha

Looking for some thoughts/advice about the writing seminars.  There are 3 (SWB, Andrew Kern, and Julie Bogart) and I'd really like to purchase only one, partly to keep myself from getting overwhelmed, and partly for affordability.  Any thoughts about the key differences between the three?  My kids are 8th and 6th grades, if that helps narrow it down.  Also, writing with the 8th grader (who is a voracious reader) is an immense struggle.

Also, thank you, SWB, for this online conference!  I have been so helped by the sessions I've listened to thus far, and I love that I can listen at times that are convenient for me.  What a great idea!

• 2 weeks later...

Hm, it's hard to narrow it down. I listened to both SWB's and Julie Bogart's, and I think they are both so great, and so complementary really, it's hard to pick.  Maybe Julie's is a bit more philosophical, big picture, about how to get kids thinking thoughts worth writing about, and maintaining their own unique voice and their internal motivation to write, while SWB's was maybe a bit more practical/nitty gritty, in terms of what kinds of papers they should be writing on what level, how many, etc.  SWB maybe gave a more parts-to-whole kind of talk - these are the pieces of the writing process your kids need to be working on, the skills they need to be learning, at each stage in order to come out at the other end as a college-ready writer.

So I guess if you need inspiration and advice on how to motivate a kid, pick Julie's talk, and if you need more practical advice about what they should be producing then, listen to SWB's.  But I really think it's worth it to listen to both, if you can swing it.  They were each inspiring on their own, but even more so together.

To download the videos

• Go to My Account
  • Scroll to the bottom and you'll see a link that's under Recorded Sessions, click it
  • Choose the file type you want (Mobile SD, SD or HD) and click that link
  • That will start up the video. Wait until the play bar is at the bottom of the screen. 
  • Once the video has been loaded, right-click and you'll see Save Video As
  • Save the file

Congratulations! You now have the videos downloaded to watch whenever you need a boost of "I can do this." :D

Thank you for this description.  I had bookmarked the link to the online conference, and now it is inactive so I don't know how to get to the page with the account.  Is it through PHP?

Also, you seem good with this stuff.  Would you come live with me?  :D  

• Like 1

I seem to be missing Julie Bogart's Fantasy Homeschool Series. I was able to watch it live, but would like to download it. 

PM Other John & give him your info. He fixed me up where I was missing one of the series that I purchased.

Thank you for this description.  I had bookmarked the link to the online conference, and now it is inactive so I don't know how to get to the page with the account.  Is it through PHP?

Start at the WTMOnlineConference page. Click on "my account" in the upper right hand corner. It'll automatically take you to the page where you scroll to the bottom for the Recorded Sessions part of the directions. I was able to save the videos by right clicking the link for HD, SD, or Mobile SD and choosing "save link as." (I'm pretty techno illiterate, so if I can do it, so can you!)

Start at the WTMOnlineConference page. Click on "my account" in the upper right hand corner. It'll automatically take you to the page where you scroll to the bottom for the Recorded Sessions part of the directions. I was able to save the videos by right clicking the link for HD, SD, or Mobile SD and choosing "save link as." (I'm pretty techno illiterate, so if I can do it, so can you!)

Thank you!  I did it, and I am so proud of both of us.  :D

• Like 1