Menu

HOD or MFW Adventures

Luvingmy4boys

I'd love to get some opinions on HOD or MFW Adventures if you've used both. Which did you prefer and why? Which program has more hands on activities but yet easy to prep?  

I'm looking through the Teacher's Manual for Adventures and it seems like the book basket makes up most of the curriculum while HOD uses their books within their lessons and you get all you need with the package. Is the book basket really necessary?  My library doesn't have many of the book basket books and if I need to use those to "beef up" the program, then maybe it's not going to work as well for me. My boys are 7 and 8 and they'd be doing Adventures or Bigger from HOD. My current plan is to do Adventures and then move to HOD bigger so I'm not planning on doing the MFW family cycle. I'm so torn between both programs. I also have a just turned 6 year old that won't be able to join Adventures because it will be too much work for him and I'm thinking of doing HOD Little Hearts for his Glory or Ambleside Online. 

I much preferred HOD. Adventures had some nice components, but I found the state study boring and some of the crafts busy work. That being said, my problem with HOD is the lack of a materials list. I had to go through the manual page by page and figure out what to buy ahead of time. Otherwise I knew that I would end up skipping projects because I was missing an item. We also didn't love DITHR (HOD reading program). But overall, I loved HOD and thought Adventures was okay, but not wonderful.

• Like 2

My plan is very similar to yours! I will be using Adventures with a 7yo next year and then Bigger the following year. I have used both Beyond and Bigger a few times. I do not prefer Beyond. I can't put my finger on exactly why, but I just didn't enjoy it. I think a lot of the activities were too "simple" for my kids? I don't know. I enjoyed Bigger a lot more, though I don't know if I'll be able to stomach another year reading the Eggleston book. ;) One year of American History using Adventures might be good enough for us and then a year break to do World Geography before diving into the HOD cycle (Preparing - MtMM and then on to high school).  I haven't used Adventures yet and this is my last child. And, I've always wanted to. It's my last chance, lol! I've heard the State Study can get boring but my son doesn't mind repetition. He's done MFW K and now 1st and there is a lot of repetition there as well.  I have other resources for state study if he gets bored. He has enjoyed the science using the Usborne books and so I think he will enjoy the science in Adventures as well. We have read many of the required resources already for the history but he enjoyed them so I don't see a problem in repeating. 

• Like 1

I have looked at HOD several times, but it just doesn't "click" with me.  I think I look once a year.  We had a great year with Adventures.  A frequent objection to MFW is the book basket, but I really don't feel that it makes up the bulk of the program.  We get a few books every week and sometimes I add a longer one as a read-aloud.

• Like 1

I have looked at HOD several times, but it just doesn't "click" with me. I think I look once a year. We had a great year with Adventures. A frequent objection to MFW is the book basket, but I really don't feel that it makes up the bulk of the program. We get a few books every week and sometimes I add a longer one as a read-aloud.

I used to feel the sa,e way about HOD. When I first looked at it (many times), I couldn't see myself use it. Now that I have actually used 3 of the guides, I couldn't imagine anything else.

I think that is a good idea to do adventures and then bigger this way you get a feel for both. I really struggled between these two also but decided on HOD as I felt it matched more of what I was looking for when I compared the Manuel's side by side. HOD has more detail and hand holding for me which is what I wanted (MFW also gives clear instructions so not to say it doesn't but HOD still had more detail for me) I also compared projects and I just knew I could implement HOD easier but I'd probably skip a lot with the other. I've used little hearts and now Beyond and it truly is open and go when you use as is and I personally love the daily spread more then the weekly. I really struggle with organization and find HOD even doable for me lol.

I haven't used both....sorry but giving you the reasons I chose HOD. MFW looks wonderful though and every time I think I want to try it I can't seem to part and my heart gets drawn back to HOD. :-). Both are good, solid and creative curriculums it's just a matter of what fits your style as a teacher. I actually think that is so important since you have to be the one to drive and implement it.

Best wishes in your decision.

• 3 weeks later...