Menu

Psychology course

Ladies,

My dad is interested in taking a psychology course during high school. At this point, I am not sure whether we will bother about AP so I would love to hear your opinions on any curriculum you have used for this elective.

Thanks in advance,

ReneeR

Dd wishes to study AP Psych next year. I'll be designing the course and seeking College Board approval to list the course as such on her transcript.

So far I only know we'll be using Psychology by Myers http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_0_9?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=myers+psychology&sprefix=Myers+psy%2Caps%2C1932 probably the 2009 edition unless I can find the 2011 edition at a good price. My college kids used an older edition for AP Psych at their high schools.

If you're OK with a Christian course, Sonlight's version with one of the Meyer's books is oriented towards the AP and CLEP tests.

We're about 2/3 of the way through, and have been generally happy.  He focuses on some issues that really don't apply to our family, and the tests are LONG (usually around 50 multiple-choice).  But it's getting the job done.

Mine will take the CLEP exam when he finishes.

• Like 1

If you're OK with a Christian course, Sonlight's version with one of the Meyer's books is oriented towards the AP and CLEP tests.

We're about 2/3 of the way through, and have been generally happy.  He focuses on some issues that really don't apply to our family, and the tests are LONG (usually around 50 multiple-choice).  But it's getting the job done.

My kids did the SL course first semester this year. We really enjoyed it. The guide is very heavily Christian and we skipped over what we didn't find useful. However, the course does use the Meyer's book and the guide also gave some great examples and explanations that we wouldn't have had otherwise. We found the SL guide to be an excellent addition to the books. My kids took the CLEP at the end of the class with no additional studying.

The tests are long, but I think 50 questions is actually the shortest, not the average. The longest was closer to 100 questions. Each test (after the first) includes a significant number of review questions so everything stays fresh for the AP or CLEP at the end.

One thing I really liked about the SL course was that while the guide brought a Christian perspective into the material, Christian perspective was NEVER included in the tests. Everything on the tests came straight from the textbook. We are Christian, but don't like using most Christian materials but the way SL Psychology was put together worked well for us.

Dd wishes to study AP Psych next year. I'll be designing the course and seeking College Board approval to list the course as such on her transcript.

So far I only know we'll be using Psychology by Myers http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_0_9?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=myers+psychology&sprefix=Myers+psy%2Caps%2C1932 probably the 2009 edition unless I can find the 2011 edition at a good price. My college kids used an older edition for AP Psych at their high schools.

This is what we did for dd last year.  I submitted a syllabus to the College Board for approval, using the Sunlight curriculum for the Meyers book.  She really enjoyed the class!