Menu

SOTW audio CD AND book?

Eagle

This year we have listened to SOTW on audio CD and have really enjoyed it. We also extensively use the activity guide. I have the SOTW book and have only opened it twice the whole year. Is this typical or am I missing something? Do you usually choose either the audio CD or the paperback of SOTW? We are in level 1, so I am trying to decide whether or not I should buy the paperback for the other levels (I already own the CDs and plan to buy the activity guides).

I found the books helpful in Vol 3 when we began doing the tests and in Vol 4 when we began outlining. It was easier for my daughter to complete them if she could reference the book (we did tests as open-book review sheets).

What age were your children when you started the tests?

What age were your children when you started the tests?

She was 8/turning 9 in October the year we started doing tests. She was 9/turning 10 when we began the outlining. She needed a little help with each at the beginning of the year, but within a month or so, she was fully independent with it.

I completed SOTW with my older girls when they were elementary aged, but didn't use the tests/outlining; I wish I had because I think they would have retained more. However, my oldest is taking AP World History this year and she remembers a LOT of it from SOTW. So, her retention must be fairly good! I think this familiarity has made things easier for her and the class more enjoyable. Although she doesn't need the credit, she's planning to squeeze AP European into her schedule her senior year. Me thinks I might have raised a history-lover. Thanks, SWB!

• Like 1