Menu

Using Saxon....Pros and Cons to a Geometry Year?

We're using Saxon Algebra 1 very successfully with our 9th grader this year, and had always assumed we'd do a year of geometry in between Algebra 1 and 2. The more I've read about upper levels of Saxon math though, have me wondering if we should take a year for geometry or just keep following the Saxon sequence, as it's supposed to cover geometry eventually within the upper levels.

Does anyone have any words of wisdom on this, or thoughts to share? I'd greatly appreciate the help. ;)

• Like 1

We're using Saxon Algebra 1 very successfully with our 9th grader this year, and had always assumed we'd do a year of geometry in between Algebra 1 and 2. The more I've read about upper levels of Saxon math though, have me wondering if we should take a year for geometry or just keep following the Saxon sequence, as it's supposed to cover geometry eventually within the upper levels.

Does anyone have any words of wisdom on this, or thoughts to share? I'd greatly appreciate the help. ;)

Completion of Algebra 1, Algebra 2, and through about half of Advanced Math makes a year of geometry. One of our former WTM members, Janet in WA, wrote this:

Geometry topics are taught only through about lesson 40 of the Advanced Math book. Thereafter, the book moves on to trigonometry and pre-calculus. Of course, because or Saxon's design, those geometry topics continue to be *practiced* for a while. But if you complete half the Advanced Math book (perhaps through lesson 65 or 70), you will have adequately covered geometry, practice and all.

My older son got to lesson 70 in the Advanced Math book, and then began taking math ath our community college. Here are the credits I awarded him:

Algebra 1 with Geometry - 1 credit

Algebra 2 with Geometry - 1 credit

Precalculus 1 with Geometry - 1 credit

I added a footnote that explained that a full study of high school geometry was covered in these three courses. If he had completed the Advanced Math book, I would have awarded more math credit. I'm not sure how I would have broken it down, but I have seen so many different ways of doing this -- all acceptable to colleges as far as I have seen.

However, if I were presenting this to a high school who seemed likely to question whether my son had studied geometry or not, I'd probably list the geometry separately (similarly to the way emmdee mentions).

FTR, I believe all four of Janet's sons did Saxon math and went on to college; seems to me they were science and math majors (unless someone else remembers better than I!).

• Like 3

Yes, I was concerned about this, but no problems here.  Very high PSAT/SAT scores too.  We did do PSAT/SAT review, especially the math.  We use the older editions.

Here's the credits I award based on Art Reed's book and newsletter: http://www.homeschoolwithsaxon.com/.  I use the Advanced Math as he recommends, one day they do the odd problems and the next the even ones on the chapters, then the test.  So it takes longer than a year, but it keeps the lesson length reasonable.

Algebra I

Algebra II

Geometry with Advanced Algebra

Trigonometry with Pre-Calculus

• Like 3

We're currently using the third edition text with the Saxon Teacher cd's, which has been going very well. In thinking I needed to do a dedicated geometry year, I purchased Jacobs Geometry for next year. It looks like a wonderful text, but I hesitate to depart from what's working so well, to begin a different format. I love the teacher support Saxon offers, and am not sure how I'll go about grading proofs yet with the Jacobs text next year. I still need to look it over more closely. I've read lately, that some don't feel Saxon covers *enough* geometry....and that's on big reason I figured we needed a geometry year in between. MFW seems to also recommend Jacobs between Saxon Algebra 1 and 2. I have to admit though, it's been a while since this mama's set her eyes on a geometry text! ;) Just one more reason I'm so thankful for your help and advice here. :)

Edited to add clarity.

• Like 1

Yes, I was concerned about this, but no problems here.  Very high PSAT/SAT scores too.  We did do PSAT/SAT review, especially the math.  We use the older editions.

Here's the credits I award based on Art Reed's book and newsletter: http://www.homeschoolwithsaxon.com/.  I use the Advanced Math as he recommends, one day they do the odd problems and the next the even ones on the chapters, then the test.  So it takes longer than a year, but it keeps the lesson length reasonable.

Algebra I

Algebra II

Geometry with Advanced Algebra

Trigonometry with Pre-Calculus

Oh good!

I really love the idea of integrating. 

We are in the same boat.  My son is doing Algebra I right now in 6th grade, so I'm really not in a rush.  I considered taking a year off to do Jacob's Geometry, but then I remembered the Life of Fred Geometry book I had bought for a song a year or two ago--and I think we'll do Algebra II over 7th and 8th grade while dabbling in LOF Geometry.  I haven't mapped it out yet, but we'll do some kind of alternating schedule, I think.

B

• Like 2

We're currently using the third edition text with the Saxon Teacher cd's, which has been going very well. In thinking I needed to do a dedicated geometry year, I purchased Jacobs Geometry for next year. It looks like a wonderful text, but I hesitate to depart from what's working so well, to begin a different format. I love the teacher support Saxon offers, and am not sure how I'll go about grading proofs yet with the Jacobs text next year. I still need to look it over more closely. I've read lately, that some don't feel Saxon covers *enough* geometry....and that's on big reason I figured we needed a geometry year in between. MFW seems to also recommend Jacobs between Saxon Algebra 1 and 2. I have to admit though, it's been a while since this mama's set her eyes on a geometry text! ;) Just one more reason I'm so thankful for your help and advice here. :)

Edited to add clarity.

Countless students have had only Saxon and its integrated geometry and have still managed to do well in college and beyond. :-) 

• Like 2

Would a student still score well on SAT tests (in regard to geometry concepts), by doing the integrated approach through Saxon? That's one question that keeps coming back to me. My ds is planning to go into a mechanical engineering - type field, post graduation. He'll need to take Calculus eventually, either in high school or at college. If we stick with the Saxon sequence, he will likely get to Calculus his senior year. However, one thing that keeps plaguing me is whether he'd have a better understanding of concepts having taken a year of geometry. And round it goes.... :P

Would a student still score well on SAT tests (in regard to geometry concepts), by doing the integrated approach through Saxon? That's one question that keeps coming back to me. My ds is planning to go into a mechanical engineering - type field, post graduation. He'll need to take Calculus eventually, either in high school or at college. If we stick with the Saxon sequence, he will likely get to Calculus his senior year. However, one thing that keeps plaguing me is whether he'd have a better understanding of concepts having taken a year of geometry. And round it goes.... :p

Yes they will. My son majored in electrical engineering in college. He did very well on the SAT (almost perfect math score). Now all my children finish Saxon Algebra 2 in the ninth grade and do the Advanced math book in the 10th (or 10th and 11th), so that may make a difference.

But the youngest is a freshman and was just starting the Algebra 2 book when she took the PSAT this year. She had no problem with the math section on the test (even the geometry questions).

Linda

• Like 2

Yes they will. My son majored in electrical engineering in college. He did very well on the SAT (almost perfect math score). Now all my children finish Saxon Algebra 2 in the ninth grade and do the Advanced math book in the 10th (or 10th and 11th), so that may make a difference.

But the youngest is a freshman and was just starting the Algebra 2 book when she took the PSAT this year. She had no problem with the math section on the test (even the geometry questions).

Linda

Thanks, Linda!! ;)

I have heard that the new SAT will be lighter on geometry, which actually makes me sad because my dc is so good at it!  She is the one who actually WANTS to do an extra year of straight geometry using Jacob's in between Saxon Alg. I and II.