Menu

If you don't have eggs for breakfast then what do you eat?

Slache

We haven't figured out the cause of this, but the scent of eggs cooking has made me sick for about 5 and a half years. So I've had a Jimmy Dean DeLights sandwich (because they don't smell) 5 days a week for the past 5 and a half years. I'm kinda over them. What are your suggestions? My ideal breakfast would be warm, have no eggs, little to no dairy, and little to no gluten.

Eta: I hate oatmeal.

Oatmeal.

I slice up a banana and put it in with the oatmeal for cooking (either a pan or a bowl in a microwave if I'm using instant packs of oatmeal). I also might add a handful of dried cranberries or raisins. Once the oatmeal is cooked, I add a big heaping spoonful of peanut butter, a big spoonful of yogurt (you can skip the yogurt if you don't want dairy). and then add milk (substitute rice, soy, or almond milk) to desired consistency.

In warm weather, I have cold cereal with fruit.

• Like 1

Supper leftovers.

I don't feel a need to have "breakfast food" for breakfast. One you get over that, life is so much simpler.   Plus, the U.S. notion of what constitutes breakfast food isn't something that's true the world over, so why feel tied to it.

Here are some ideas from around the world:  http://www.mymodernmet.com/profiles/blogs/breakfasts-around-the-world  Includes items such as fish, rice, beans, soup.

• Like 15

I should clarify that I have some undiagnosed intestinal problem. I throw everything up. It's insane. I used to love oatmeal, but I ate it with the wrong thing, lost it, and now the texture bothers me. I'm really high maintenance now when it comes to food. I'm not a high maintenance person. It sucks.

Oatmeal (with or without fruit)

Pan-fried plantains with lemon and garlic

Potato hash with peppers

Potato hash with green apples

Kale cooked with chorizo, onions, and tomatoes

Kale cooked with garlic

Smoothies of all sorts

Baked banana with lime

Kasha

Apples cooked in a pan with sugar and butter (could make it with mostly oil and just a little butter for flavor) and cinnamon

Coconut yogurt (not warm, but fast)

Refried beans with salsa - like huevos rancheros or huevos divorciados, but without the huevo part.

Bacon with maple syrup

Roasted pineapple

Watermelon salad with mint and feta (this isn't warm, but it IS delicious)

Hummus and peppers

Roasted mini eggplants with lots of olive oil

Onigiri (the new obsession with the girls)

Rice pudding (with coconut milk)

Lox and avocado with scallions

• Like 6

Supper leftovers.

I don't feel a need to have "breakfast food" for breakfast. One you get over that, life is so much simpler.   Plus, the U.S. notion of what constitutes breakfast food isn't something that's true the world over, so why feel tied to it.

Here are some ideas from around the world:  http://www.mymodernmet.com/profiles/blogs/breakfasts-around-the-world  Includes items such as fish, rice, beans, soup.

This is very true. A taco salad or a soup could be great first thing in the morning.

• Like 2

I should clarify that I have some undiagnosed intestinal problem. I throw everything up. It's insane. I used to love oatmeal, but I ate it with the wrong thing, lost it, and now the texture bothers me. I'm really high maintenance now when it comes to food. I'm not a high maintenance person. It sucks.

Dh has more food intolerances than you can shake a stick at.  He often eats a large salad that includes lettuce, fruit, nuts, turkey, freshly made dressing.  It isn't warm, but it's what works for him.  If he wants something simple, he has celery with sunflower butter.

If he wants something warm, he has homemade chicken vegetable soup.

If you have problems with food, eat what works and don't worry about whether it's breakfast food.

• Like 5

Dh has more food intolerances than you can shake a stick at.  He often eats a large salad that includes lettuce, fruit, nuts, turkey, freshly made dressing.  It isn't warm, but it's what works for him.  If he wants something simple, he has celery with sunflower butter.

If he wants something warm, he has homemade chicken vegetable soup.

If you have problems with food, eat what works and don't worry about whether it's breakfast food.

You just described a typical lunch for me. By the way, I just finished your link and I'm STARVING now. Thanks for that!

We haven't figured out the cause of this, but the scent of eggs cooking has made me sick for about 5 and a half years. So I've had a Jimmy Dean DeLights sandwich (because they don't smell) 5 days a week for the past 5 and a half years. I'm kinda over them. What are your suggestions? My ideal breakfast would be warm, have no eggs, little to no dairy, and little to no gluten.

Eta: I hate oatmeal.

I hate the mushy kind of oatmeal, too.  Not the overnight kind with yogurt, either, ick.  But I love baked oatmeal.  It has applesauce and milk in it, but you could easily replace with whatever milk you want.

2 cups oats

2 heaping TBSP oat flour (just oats ground up in the blender)

1/2 cup light brown sugar, loose, not packed

1 tsp baking powder

1 tsp cinnamon (this isn't overpowering, but you can leave it out)

1 1/2 cups milk of your choice

1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce

2 TBSP melted butter

1 egg, beaten

*optional 1/3 cup of raisins or dried cherries or whatever you want to add 

Combine dry, add in wet ingredients.  Pour into sprayed 8x8 pan and bake at 375 for 20-25 min. 

**The texture of this is drier and makes loose, cake-ish squares which is why I don't gag on it.  LOL

• Like 1

Adult son with autism:  toast and juice mixed with plain protein powder.

Hubby: yogurt mixed with granola and berries or banana

DD, 18:  toast or Special K (chocolate)

Me:  steel-cut oatmeal mixed with a lot of roasted sunflower seeds and lightly salted. It turns out like salty, nutty gravel, not the mushy stuff.  I hate most breakfast food.  I make a batch of oatmeal every five days and chill it in small containers. no one messes with mom's oatmeal!  I have a cup of 1% milk while the oatmeal heats in the microwave, and then a plain cuppa tea with it.

When I visit my Dad in California he insists on I-HOP in the mornings, and then I get a waffle or their multi-grain pancakes.

I looked at that breakfast around the world site:  I'd LOVE to wake up and eat in Turkey, Thailand or Mexico!

• Like 1

Oatmeal (with or without fruit)

Pan-fried plantains with lemon and garlic

Potato hash with peppers

Potato hash with green apples

Kale cooked with chorizo, onions, and tomatoes

Kale cooked with garlic

Smoothies of all sorts

Baked banana with lime

Kasha

Apples cooked in a pan with sugar and butter (could make it with mostly oil and just a little butter for flavor) and cinnamon

Coconut yogurt (not warm, but fast)

Refried beans with salsa - like huevos rancheros or huevos divorciados, but without the huevo part.

Bacon with maple syrup

Roasted pineapple

Watermelon salad with mint and feta (this isn't warm, but it IS delicious)

Hummus and peppers

Roasted mini eggplants with lots of olive oil

Onigiri (the new obsession with the girls)

Rice pudding (with coconut milk)

Lox and avocado with scallions

Okay. I will show how uneducated I am about food.... I don't know what about half this stuff is, let alone how to prepare it, or what it might taste like. I am truly baffled. I am a toast with just butter, oatmeal, or smoothie for breakfast type. I should seriously consider expanding my menu. Of course, in light of the OP who has eaten the same thing every day for years, I guess I am already diverse. Hehe. Guess I'll stay tuned in for more ideas though. The Hive is always full of great info. :)

• Like 1

I generally don't eat warm breakfasts, unless it involves eggs.

How about:

Kind bar - nuts, low sugar

Nuts and fruit

GF pancakes (? for warm food)

Smoothies - protein powder, greek yogurt, fruit - could use almond milk and fruit to make dairy free.

Greek yogurt with strawberries

muffins

baked eggs - would those smell to you?

• Like 1

How about buttered coffee? It's not breakfast, but it might give you an hour or two to wake up, and then you could have a snack that isn't breakfast-y, if eating non-breakfast food early is a problem for you.

I like rice pudding for breakfast--but if you don't want the dairy, you could make it with almond milk. It's wonderfully warm and sweet.

I like potatoes with bacon, too, or some grilled apple and chicken sausage with peppers and onions. You could add it to potatoes, or add potatoes to it.

Mashed potatoes are good, too--warm and comforting. But I need a bit of protein or I spike.

• Like 2

I actually love millet.  I soak it overnight, cook it in the crockpot all day (often in stock--veggie stock, chicken stock, whatever), then store it in quart jars in the fridge.  At breakfast I can put some in a saucepan, add almond milk (you can use regular of course!), and heat it through.  I like it with a generous dollop of almond butter and a sprinkle of some kind of fruit (raisins, berries). My close friend who is an acupuncturist introduced this breakfast to me.

It's not as goupy as oatmeal, which really works for me! 

• Like 1

Dinner leftovers. Seriously, I will often just chow down on leftover chicken and veggies or something like that. Or leftover aloo gobi or similar.

Veggie and potato hash with greens and grits (with or without a little meat). We had that this morning. Yummy.

Potato pancakes.

ETA- we eat a lot of eggs and oatmeal. I buy oatmeal by the 25 pound bags.

• Like 1

My friend used to eat bacon and a banana every single morning.  She probably still does, but I don't know because I haven't seen her in awhile.  :)

I like banana with peanut butter on occasion.

Sauteed greens with chopped up turkey and green onions is delicious.  Fried potato makes it even better.

• Like 1

If it's breakfast, and there are leftovers they are most likely to get eaten. Unless I specifically tell someone not to eat something, it can get eaten. So...burritos, lasagna, ribs, eggs, it all works. Given I have half the fridge space I used to, I'm a lot less picky. Besides, we can eat eggs at lunch or dinner, if we need to.

• Like 1

If it's breakfast, and there are leftovers they are most likely to get eaten. Unless I specifically tell someone not to eat something, it can get eaten. So...burritos, lasagna, ribs, eggs, it all works. Given I have half the fridge space I used to, I'm a lot less picky. Besides, we can eat eggs at lunch or dinner, if we need to.

• Like 1

I usually have a bowl of grits.  I like them better than oatmeal. 

If there is leftover eggplant parmesan or chicken salad, I will eat that for breakfast.  They are some of my favorites.  Or shrimp cocktail.  Other leftovers I usually save for lunch, but those, I can't wait.  :)

• Like 1

My daughter eats Ramen or dinner leftovers.  A decent canned soup might be good.

I was going to suggest oatmeal.  I kind of hate it too, but I eat it every morning.  I just forced myself to get over my revulsion because it's filling and quick.  Most importantly, it doesn't make me sick like a lot of other foods do.  And while I can handle being sick from dinner, not so much from breakfast.

Hint on dealing with oatmeal -- don't put anything in it.  No milk, no sugar, nothing.  I find it a lot easier to handle straight.  There's less of it that way. And if I let it sit for 15 minutes after cooking it's more solid and easier to eat quickly.

I also eat yogurt and a banana.  Every morning.  I like a breakfast with no decisions.

• Like 1

current breakfast- bacon and apple with coconut cream

favorites- bacon, broccoli and apple

sausage and sauteed brussel sprouts

leftovers- although I find that something light for breakfast is usually better for me and I save leftovers for lunch.

In the past I did yogurt a lot but I'm off of dairy now and non-dairy yogurt is too expensive, nasty or not available here. Smoothies and juice of the green variety were staples for long periods. 

• Like 1